Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Rails and heat

AR-15 Rails and heat

I have come to the conclusion that I have not been super happy with AR rails that are really thin and light weight. This isn't because they are bad quality or easily damaged, its because they become almost too hot to handle in hot weather or simply in a magazine or two without a glove. Before someone says I need to "man up", I carried an M4 in the summer in Afghanistan and got into gun fights with it. I usually wore gloves but the times I didn't, I could still handle my rifle. My BCM rail became so hot last summer in OKC (102 degree day) in half a mag that I couldn't even grip the rail and it was still not comfortable with a glove on. I am starting to really consider going back to a thicker rail to mitigate this issue as I like to shoot without gloves. Also the most likely situation for a shooting with my AR-15 is home defense, probably in my underwear or running shorts (sans gloves).

Anyone else come to the same conclusion? I know the geiselle do it better and my centurion is a little better, but I am almost tempted to go back to a simple a2 heat-shield with an impact weapon components light mount and save the $ for ammo.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-18-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Been there. Not as much as you but I do know what you mean. I prefer not to wear gloves too. My S&W M&P Sport II had hand guards that didn't have heat shields and within two mags it got hot. The Magpul handguards have good shields in them and the KAC RAS with rail covers was comfortable to hold after running drills and then doing a semi auto and then a full auto mag dump. Or good ol' A2's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Do rail covers like those made by magpul work well? I have no experience but have seen them for sale before.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Do rail covers like those made by magpul work well? I have no experience but have seen them for sale before.
    I have used them. Some are better than others and they do a decent job. It is just gotten to point where I don't feel like messing with rifle set ups anymore because of $ or time. Sucks to realize that I would of been just fine with a standard plastic forend, light, sling, optic, and a better trigger. Would of saved me butt loads of $

This has been a negative side effect of all the Brazilian handguards that I’ve been complaining about since they started coming on the scene, well before mlok and keymod.

It’s why I still prefer a full picatinny handgurd with Larue index clips at the primary contact points, a stubby VFG, and ladder bars everywhere else. Best combination of heat sink plus heat ventilation plus heat protection.

eta:
    And all plastic is tan. Not because:ninja but because:florida-sun.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.

This is why I like VFGs.
    #RESIST

I have a 14.5 BCM with a Centurion quad rail that I’ve trained with quite a bit. Even on high round count strings of fire, it hasn’t gotten too hot to hold. Conversely, on my stainless 10.5 SBR with a Centurion CMR rail, I took it to the range last year with my suppressor attached and it was literally almost too hot to touch after a mere 10 rounds down range. This may very well be an apple to oranges comparison, but I’m not ready to get rid of all my quad rails just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel you.
    My MR762 has a lightweight, slim rail and it's gets hot after 2 mags of .308, ridiculously so in the summer.
    In comparison my FAL with the plain old plastic handguard takes 5 or 6 mags to get as uncomfortable.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've done multiple strings of VTAC 1-5 and El Prez back-to-back with my Geissele Mk4's and never had heat be an issue. That's basically 2-3 mags worth in short order. I don't wear gloves either.

Now, you wanna talk about getting hot: roll a Benelli over for a strong hand quad load and let your thumb touch that barrel at your third plus-up (so you're 25 rounds into a stage in about 30 sec). That's hot (and not the way Paris Hilton says it).

Or even better, grow you some love handles like I've got and proceed to singe your flesh on the slide of your pistol while working 100,000 reps from IWB in a Gabe White class.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have used them. Some are better than others and they do a decent job. It is just gotten to point where I don't feel like messing with rifle set ups anymore because of $ or time. Sucks to realize that I would of been just fine with a standard plastic forend, light, sling, optic, and a better trigger. Would of saved me butt loads of $
    Ever use the BCM rail covers? They’re thin and like $9. Work well for me
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List