Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Mexican vacation spots

RFI: Mexican vacation spots

Few friends and I are thinking of heading to Mexico for a week or so.

Whats your favorite resorts and vacation spots down there? Been to various Mexican places on business but we want to chill out on the beach.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Few friends and I are thinking of heading to Mexico for a week or so.

Whats your favorite resorts and vacation spots down there? Been to various Mexican places on business but we want to chill out on the beach.

Thanks!
    My wife and I liked the Mayan Riviera (Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, etc) when we went for our honeymoon in 2001. Haven't been since, but would love to go again if cartel activity ever decreases.

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway resort. It was quite nice at the time, but I understand it was severely damaged in a hurricane several years ago.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I'll make this a link, so you don't have to read the link text unless you want to. As someone who managed a warehouse facility in Guadalajara a while ago, I've had my fill of Mexico.

Link.

Hope your holiday is fun and safe, but I'd go to Aruba or the Bahamas. YMMV.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yep. We’ve been to Mexico many times, but the idea of being surrounded by narco war zones just isn’t relaxing. Probably won’t go there again. I’ll miss the Yucatán and Oaxaca especially.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

As big as this world is, why would anyone go to f-ing Mexico for any reason at all?

Expand your horizons a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    As big as this world is, why would anyone go to f-ing Mexico for any reason at all?

Expand your horizons a bit.
    Already seen quite a bit of the world.

That said, been to Mexico before and generally the cartels don't mess with tourist as tourist directly and indirectly make them a lot of money. Scared tourist are bad for business.

Yeah, sometimes a tourist gets killed but almost always they were doing something stupid.

Anyways, tired of all the other Caribbean places, Hawaii, and Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My wife and I liked the Mayan Riviera (Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, etc) when we went for our honeymoon in 2001. Haven't been since, but would love to go again if cartel activity ever decreases.

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway resort. It was quite nice at the time, but I understand it was severely damaged in a hurricane several years ago.

Chris
    Thanks for the reply.

One of the guys in our traval group mentioned that place. May do some research into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Already seen quite a bit of the world.

That said, been to Mexico before and generally the cartels don't mess with tourist as tourist directly and indirectly make them a lot of money. Scared tourist are bad for business.

Yeah, sometimes a tourist gets killed but almost always they were doing something stupid.

Anyways, tired of all the other Caribbean places, Hawaii, and Europe.
    Suit yourself. I have no desire to ever set foot in Mexico again, and I'm Hispanic......

Maybe I never get tired of going to the same places because I never stay in tourist trap resorts. The last time I was in the Caribbean I bareboated a 40 ft Benetau around the BVI.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...ation-paradise

Greg Ellifritz just published an article on traveling in Mexico today that i found interesting.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    I’ll be in Mexico City next week, and I’ve traveled to the country many times. Personally I’m not a beach guy, and I don’t like tourist spots. However if I had to go to the beach, it would be Isla Holbox. It’s remote and less visited, plus it’s peaceful. Less options in what to do and see, eat, sleep, etc than the more popular spots, but there are still plenty of good options.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_Holbox

I’ve driven around rural Quintana Roo in a rental car, went to Iztapalapa in D.F., took a bus from Mexico City to Guanajuato and never had any issues. Of course I try to stay alert and look alert, and my fiancée is from D.F..

Just be wise about where you go, and all should be fine. It’s more risky than traveling in most parts of the USA, and you should be aware of that. I just wouldn’t let that alone stop me from traveling to ALL of Mexico. It would stop me from going to many of the western areas.

User Tag List