Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Give Me Some Advice On New Pistol Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by DG12 View Post

HK slide rattle is an issue that’s been around for a while. Maybe google it.
    I owned 5 HKs, I never shook them so I have no idea if they rattled.

I think you two are spending too much time on gun forums filled with doods who spend more time shrink tubing their slide stops and color-filling their roll marks with their mothers nail polish than they do actually shooting. You can't fly like an eagle if you're on the ground with the turkeys.

OP, just buy two of whatever gun you want, join your local IDPA/USPSA club, take a class with a nationally known instructor, dry fire 15 minutes a day, report back with results. I bet one of the results will be you no longer care if your gun rattles when you shake it.

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post
    hopes of one day being competition worthy
    The best/fastest way to become "competition worthy" is to go compete. As others have already said, pick a single platform, be it HK, Glock, Walther, Beretta, CZ, whatever; they all work and are all high-quality guns. Sell off everything else you don't actually *need*, buy 2 copies of your chosen platform and any requisite support gear you don't already have, and go compete. You'll be having fun and becoming a better shooter before you know it. Fear of being embarrassed/not winning is a really poor reason to not compete. Almost nobody goes to their first USPSA or IDPA match and kicks ass, so going in with as little ego/expectation and as much open mind/desire to learn as possible is best.

Of course, once you start down this path, a reloading setup won't be far behind if you don't already have one...

Site Supporter
    Dry practice 15 minutes a day, two identical handguns, classes, 10000 rounds of practice ammo, lights for all occasions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Sell off everything else you don't actually *need*, buy 2 copies of your chosen platform and any requisite support gear you don't already have, and go compete.
    I don't think it's necessary to sell everything. Just pick one model and dedicate all practice to it for a while. If the pick is a new pistol, that's fine. The older pistols aren't hurting anything, and it's nice to have examples of different pistols, even if one rarely shoots them. I guess there is some wiggle room in the word need.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I owned 5 HKs, I never shook them so I have no idea if they rattled.

I think you two are spending too much time on gun forums filled with doods who spend more time shrink tubing their slide stops and color-filling their roll marks with their mothers nail polish than they do actually shooting. You can't fly like an eagle if you're on the ground with the turkeys.

OP, just buy two of whatever gun you want, join your local IDPA/USPSA club, take a class with a nationally known instructor, dry fire 15 minutes a day, report back with results. I bet one of the results will be you no longer care if your gun rattles when you shake it.
    I know you think I’m being dramatic, but it’s really very noticeable— I’m talking about on a Walther though, my HKs have never had this issue. I only dislike it because it creates a feeling of sloppines, at the same time it’s a great gun so it doesn’t matter, you’re right.

The rest of your advice is spot on, thank you, I will heed it!

All fantastic advice guys, thank you. I actually feel like I have a better perspective on what I need to accomplish my goals now.

Okay - caveat, I didn’t get a chance to read all reaponses.

Let me put it this way:

If I had to start all over again in pistol land, I’d buy four or five VP9s. Two full size guns, an SK, and whenever it finally exist two longslides.

If I wanted optics, I’d get the optics ready version for one of my fullsize guns.

That would give you the ability to shoot IDPA and USPSA in SSP and Production and BUG in IDPA and Combat Optics in USPSA. If I was feeling my oats, I’d buy a .40 long slide and shoot Production Major.

——

That’s what I’d do to go from 0 to Competition/Defensive Ready. I’d not fuck with the internals AT ALL, only change the sights. Load, holster, draw, shoot.

——

But me? I like guns, buying them, shooting them, even looking at them. So I’m a goner for getting back to zero, short of, literally, losing all my guns (which could happen).

Eta: Rattling - my only concern is if the gun rattles when holstered. A gun that rattles in the holster is a concealment liability. Most people don’t rattle. They jangle, squeak, clop, and tromp but they don’t rattle.

PPS: 9 out of 10, the rattle is caused by topping the mag off and reinserting it on a loaded chamber. That compresses the mag spring just enough to let the baseplate or follower rattle. Very consistent problem in HK mags in my experience. Usually solved, but not +1 loading.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I’m mainly concerned with practicing to enhance my proficiency, with hopes of one day being competition worthy.
    I'll say it again; "competition worthy" means you have a reasonably suitable firearm, know what all the buttons and levers do, and can follow instructions as to safety and execution of the Course of Fire. You do not have to be a good shot or a gymnast (ref IPSC, USPSA, IDPA.)

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post
    I think you’re right. I already own some fairly nice pistols, perhaps I’d be better off investing in additional training. I shoot a lot (I live only five minutes from a great range and have a pass), and have taken some classes, so I’m probably the most proficient among the gun friends I do have, but I’ve been getting frustrated as there are certain abilities I’m having difficulty mastering— I was thinking perhaps new equipment would help (people tell me the extra barrel length assists in accuracy), but perhaps time and more training would be the best investment.
    There may be some surprises waiting for you. Standards of proficiency are different in competition. The better shooters will show you that you have a lot to learn. The ordinary shooters may show you that you are not too bad.
    You might be a natural talent and your prior experience a good basis, leading to one of those posts: "I shot my first match yesterday and was only in fourth place." Your rattling pistol might lead you to a variation of the Rabbit Hunter on the Skeet Field: "I beat all them old guys and their Krieghoffs with my Mossy." But don't bet on it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Q: What shoud I.....?

A: Buy two 9mm Glocks that take the same magazines, a case of ammo and a spot in a class.

It's not always the right answer, but it's a damned rare time that it's a wrong answer.

The OP has a perfectly adaquate pistol already in his VP9 and/or P30. I would concentrate on one of them, quality instruction, practice (both dry- and live-fire) and suitable competition. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-19-2019 at 10:20 AM.

User Tag List