Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Give Me Some Advice On New Pistol Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post

As far as purposes, I’m mainly concerned with practicing to enhance my proficiency, with hopes of one day being competition worthy.
    Hi, I'm not really qualified to give advice on buying pistols, but I did want to ask: can you elaborate on what kind of competition you might be talking about here?
    Last edited by RJ; 02-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.

I love how the 1911 handles and I love the history behind it. I would consider using it defensively as well, so I’ll do as you suggest. Do you happen to have any recommendations in the below $1000 range? My buddy swears by the Springfield mil spec, which I’ve shot and done well with, but the Kimbers and Colts at my lgs seem nicer (though I haven’t actually shot those). I’ve shot some of his nicer custom ones too, but I don’t want to spend a fortune.
    Yes. A Glock 19.

But seriously, if I were you I’d dedicate myself to the VP9 or the P30.

Well, it seems like the consensus is to stick with what I have. I shoot best with the VP9, so I guess that is going to be my primary training companion for a while.

I’ll probably get a 1911 just for fun, but invest the rest of my gun money into training, mags, and so forth. I’ve got 3k rounds of 9mm sitting at home right now, so that’s probably a good start.

Thanks everyone!

Site Supporter
    I love how the 1911 handles and I love the history behind it. I would consider using it defensively as well, so I’ll do as you suggest. Do you happen to have any recommendations in the below $1000 range? My buddy swears by the Springfield mil spec, which I’ve shot and done well with, but the Kimbers and Colts at my lgs seem nicer (though I haven’t actually shot those). I’ve shot some of his nicer custom ones too, but I don’t want to spend a fortune.
    For below $1000 you should stay with Colt or Springfield Armory, maybe Ruger. The basic models such as the Mil Spec are cool and I like the looks of the basic guns, but really upgrades like a beavertail grip safety and an undercut trigger guard allow you to get your hand up higher on the gun which is better for modern shooting techniques.

I have had really good luck with Colts and I've also had a couple of Springfield Armory guns and S&W 1911s that performed well. Dan Wesson gets a lot of support here and they are a really good gun for the money -- but I'll go against the grain here a little bit and say they have their share of issues like other production guns. But really solid for the $$$.

On my sub-$1000 Colts I usually invest some time and money getting them how I want them and making sure they are totally reliable before putting them in a holster or in the night stand. You probably shouldn't view a 1911 that you will bet your life on as a sub-$1000 project. It's possible but not guaranteed.

I agree with others that spending your available funds on some training is a good idea. If you still have the 1911 itch, wait until you can afford one and pick one up. It sounds like you are on the right track.

but it also has a bit of the famed slide rattle, which triggers my ocd.
    How do you know if your slide rattles?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Might be the sound of rattling...

There is a noticeable amount of play between the slide and frame when it’s unloaded (still there when loaded, but less severe), shaking it slightly will cause it to noticeably rattle, it’s visually observable and also creates a noise—I’ve done a lot of research and this is an issue several people have noted about the PPQ, though apparently not everyone experiences it, and it seems more common on the 5”.

It apparently has no impact on reliability or accuracy, but it bugs me a little nonetheless. It’s my dad’s gun, he got a fantastic deal on it, the PPQ 5” with paddle release can be had for like 450-ish on gunbuyer, with no sales tax.

Anyways, the issue isn’t extreme, but it’s the most play/rattle I’ve experienced on a handgun, and I’ve shot quite a few. At the same time, I can rapidly shoot with it better than any gun I have ever fired. The price is right, I just don’t know if I can get past that rattle, which seems to be commonplace. If you’re REALLY curious, search PPQ slide rattle on YouTube and there should be at least one result with a lot of discussion about the particular quirk of that gun.
    Last edited by plotinus; 02-19-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Why the fuck are you shaking your gun?

Why the fuck are you shaking your gun?
    I think you’re misunderstanding, lol. It doesn’t require an extreme amount of shaking, even slightly moving it from side to side will produce the effect I described. Of course when I noticed that, then I investigated further, but I’m by no means wildly and vigorously shaking any gun...
    Last edited by plotinus; 02-19-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

You handled that better than I would.

HK slide rattle is an issue that’s been around for a while. Maybe google it.

Some people handle their guns and experiment. I had a HK and the slide rattled slightly. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a person to shake their gun slightly or generally “mess” with it just trying to see what may be going on.

To the OP, mostly good advice so far I think. I agree with ASH556. If you want to get something new I would start with a couple of Glocks.
    Last edited by DG12; 02-19-2019 at 12:30 AM.

User Tag List