Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Give Me Some Advice On New Pistol Purchase

Help Give Me Some Advice On New Pistol Purchase

Hi all,

So, I recently sold several of my firearms, I had collected a lot and realized most were collecting dust, as there are a few that I shoot almost exclusively.

I want to get two new pistols, one that’s smaller to mid size, and one that’s bigger with a longer barrel/slide.

I have the opportunity to buy a Sphinx SDP tomorrow for $800, which would fulfill the smaller to mid size gun, but I’m wondering if the increased cost really makes it that much better than a CZ P07 (or 9). General impressions about the Sphinx, especially vs the CZ?

Then as far as the bigger gun goes, it’s a toss-up between a PPQ 5”, the urban grey suppressor ready CZ 75 Omega, or a 1911 (I’ve shot many, but never owned one— I’d likely go either Kimber or Colt Government). I shoot very well with the PPQ 5”, my dad has one, but it also has a bit of the famed slide rattle, which triggers my ocd.

As far as purposes, I’m mainly concerned with practicing to enhance my proficiency, with hopes of one day being competition worthy. I shoot my HK VP9 and P30 both heavily, but I want something a bit different. I own a CZ 75b, but I feel like the omega trigger version would be more shootable, as I really enjoy the trigger on the P09.

I’m also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for indulging my inquiry. I am trying to avoid collecting a bunch of guns that I am not going to use, I prefer quality over quantity, and I’ve been racking my brain over this.
    Last edited by plotinus; 02-18-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post

I’m also open to any other suggestions.
    Pick one model or at least one platform and stick with it until you can shoot to an acceptable level on some known standards. Nothing you've mentioned is something I would consider.

Things I would consider in your position:
    -9mm Glock
    -9mm Beretta (PX or 92 series)
    -HK P30 or VP-9 if you must go exotic/expensive

Buy two. When you can keep 10 rounds in the 10 ring slowfire at 10 yards on a B8, begin to evaluate sights and other things to modify the pistol to yourself. The better you get the more you'll realize it doesn't matter.

The advantage to Glocks is you can buy two for $1,000 (what you're talking about spending on each gun) and then use the rest of the money on ammo.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Pick one model or at least one platform and stick with it until you can shoot to an acceptable level on some known standards. Nothing you've mentioned is something I would consider.

-9mm Glock

Buy two. When you can keep 10 rounds in the 10 ring slowfire at 10 yards on a B8, begin to evaluate sights and other things to modify the pistol to yourself. The better you get the more you'll realize it doesn't matter.

The advantage to Glocks is you can buy two for $1,000 (what you're talking about spending on each gun) and then use the rest of the money on ammo.
    Hey there, thanks for the advice. I actually own the HK P30 and VP9, I can accomplish what you say with those guns (10 yards slow fire in the center ring). Shooting rapidly on the other hand is something I am not as proficient with— I was wondering if perhaps there was another platform that would be better suited to rapid fire (something I probably should’ve mentioned in my initial post), but maybe additional practice is the answer. I just know that I can shoot rapidly with my father’s PPQ 5” and still produce a really tight group, while my rapid groups with the VP9 are sloppier.

-9mm Glock

I resisted or outright discounted Glocks for almost 6 years, gravitating to other makes with varying degrees of shooting success. And then I shot one for a while and saw the light.

Glocks are far simpler in design yet more reliable/robust than are many other pistols, you can buy parts & accessories all over the place, they've quite affordable, and they are plenty accurate if you do your part. While I may certainly dabble with other pistols going forward, I'm sure I'll always have at least one Glock----and it'll very likely always be my go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post
    Hey there, thanks for the advice. I actually own the HK P30 and VP9, I can accomplish what you say with those guns (10 yards slow fire in the center ring). Shooting rapidly on the other hand is something I am not as proficient with— I was wondering if perhaps there was another platform that would be better suited to rapid fire (something I probably should’ve mentioned in my initial post), but maybe additional practice is the answer. I just know that I can shoot rapidly with my father’s PPQ 5” and still produce a really tight group, while my rapid groups with the VP9 are sloppier.
    If you want to buy a 5" PPQ, roll on. Heck, go one better and buy a Q5 match. But you're dealing with a training issue. If you want to become a better shooter, buy a spot in a class instead of a gun.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I think a Glock 9mm (G17 or G19 for example) is often a good answer. Good design, noted for general reliability, lots of aftermarket support.

I had a CZ with the Omega trigger and I liked it (mostly).

I am a 1911 user, and I guess my advice on that is -- if you want to own a 1911 because they are interesting firearms or to own a piece of American history then go for it -- buy one that you like and enjoy it. But if you want to put a 1911 to serious use as a defensive pistol then you should start researching it now and learn everything you can about 1911s. The maintenance on a 1911 isn't generally a big deal, but isn't really the same as a Glock either. Learn how the gun operates and how to make sure it runs properly. They can be great pistols but aren't always the best answer depending on the person and situation.

If you want to buy a 5" PPQ, roll on. Heck, go one better and buy a Q5 match. But you're dealing with a training issue. If you want to become a better shooter, buy a spot in a class instead of a gun.
    I think you’re right. I already own some fairly nice pistols, perhaps I’d be better off investing in additional training. I shoot a lot (I live only five minutes from a great range and have a pass), and have taken some classes, so I’m probably the most proficient among the gun friends I do have, but I’ve been getting frustrated as there are certain abilities I’m having difficulty mastering— I was thinking perhaps new equipment would help (people tell me the extra barrel length assists in accuracy), but perhaps time and more training would be the best investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think a Glock 9mm (G17 or G19 for example) is often a good answer. Good design, noted for general reliability, lots of aftermarket support.

I had a CZ with the Omega trigger and I liked it (mostly).

I am a 1911 user, and I guess my advice on that is -- if you want to own a 1911 because they are interesting firearms or to own a piece of American history then go for it -- buy one that you like and enjoy it. But if you want to put a 1911 to serious use as a defensive pistol then you should start researching it now and learn everything you can about 1911s. The maintenance on a 1911 isn't generally a big deal, but isn't really the same as a Glock either. Learn how the gun operates and how to make sure it runs properly. They can be great pistols but aren't always the best answer depending on the person and situation.
    I love how the 1911 handles and I love the history behind it. I would consider using it defensively as well, so I’ll do as you suggest. Do you happen to have any recommendations in the below $1000 range? My buddy swears by the Springfield mil spec, which I’ve shot and done well with, but the Kimbers and Colts at my lgs seem nicer (though I haven’t actually shot those). I’ve shot some of his nicer custom ones too, but I don’t want to spend a fortune.

Since it sounds like you are frustrated with your current performance I am going to suggest taking the money for the new gun and investing it in a training class from a nationally recognized instructor. The old saying is we don't know what we don't know, quality instruction will go a long way in making progress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would go further and pick either the P30 or VP9 since they have different triggers. Choose one of the two, standardize on that exclusively (or sell them both and choose another platform but that might put your further behind on the skill curve) and get some training, mags and ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List