Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Give Me Some Advice On New Pistol Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post
    Hi all,
    I have the opportunity to buy a Sphinx SDP tomorrow for $800, which would fulfill the smaller to mid size gun, but I’m wondering if the increased cost really makes it that much better than a CZ P07 (or 9). General impressions about the Sphinx, especially vs the CZ?

Then as far as the bigger gun goes, it’s a toss-up between a PPQ 5”, the urban grey suppressor ready CZ 75 Omega, or a 1911 (I’ve shot many, but never owned one— I’d likely go either Kimber or Colt Government). I shoot very well with the PPQ 5”, my dad has one, but it also has a bit of the famed slide rattle, which triggers my ocd.

As far as purposes, I’m mainly concerned with practicing to enhance my proficiency, with hopes of one day being competition worthy. I shoot my HK VP9 and P30 both heavily, but I want something a bit different. I own a CZ 75b, but I feel like the omega trigger version would be more shootable, as I really enjoy the trigger on the P09.
    I had a Sphinx SDP Compact and still have a Sphinx Sub-Compact.

They are very well made guns with a nice innovative design: the grip essentially can be unscrewed from the frame and essentially, the idea was that you could swap between alloy, steel, polymer grips. The Sear mechanism is much closed to a CZ 75 BD (decocker) design with a sear cage, etc. It is much clearer machined and better made than a CZ.

While I was moving away from the CZ, I was experimenting with them and had the idea of competing with the larger gun and carrying the smaller gun. They take CZ75 mags, largely, so that was a plus.
    The accuracy out of the SDP was pretty awesome - with jacket 124's bullets and a known titegroup load (3.9 or 4.0?) I got some inch groups at 25 yards off of bags... (I was shooting a fair amount of bullseye then too...)

Whey did I sell them? I liked the design and the lack of aftermarket support didn't bother me too much, though, I just liked my Beretta's that much better...

If you ever want the sub compact, LMK. I'd let it go for stupid money and take a loss - I just don't shoot it (never shot it).

There is a strange phenomenon in which modestly skilled shooters, such as myself, often shoot other people’s guns better than our own. That phenomenon exists right up to the point where I replace my existing guns with other person’s gun. Then I suddenly shoot new gun just as poorly as I did the old gun.

I’m not saying that the case with you but it might be.

I’ll echo the sentiment to pick one that fits you ergonomically and dedicate a ton of time to it. You might consider the Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson’s dry fire program.

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S.

I agree with all the sentiments of stick to one and get another class or two, hit a couple matches, etc.

Go to a few matches and see if any of the big fish are also coaches. A few hours of private instruction for a couple months can make really big gains for someone with decent fundamentals but needing to tune specific skills.

As to the OP question regarding the Sphinx v P07/9: I didn’t find the Sphinx better enough to warrant the price. And the CZs have a bit better aftermarket support with CGW and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    There is a strange phenomenon in which modestly skilled shooters, such as myself, often shoot other people’s guns better than our own. That phenomenon exists right up to the point where I replace my existing guns with other person’s gun. Then I suddenly shoot new gun just as poorly as I did the old gun.

I’ll echo the sentiment to pick one that fits you ergonomically and dedicate a ton of time to it. You might consider the Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson’s dry fire program.

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S makes an excellent point. Back in the day, Mike Plaxco -- the Rob Leatham of his time -- made a similar point. He suggested that when you had plateaued, changing either gun or stance tended to uplift performance. Probably because it made the shooter concentrate more on the fundamentals applied to the new weapon or technique. He cautioned us not to presume that the new method or hardware had improved us, but to remember that this experience was teaching us we had to focus more.

I know you think I’m being dramatic, but it’s really very noticeable— I’m talking about on a Walther though
    I owned a PPQ M2, shot it in IDPAs SSP division with Dawson Charger sights and I couldn't tell you if the gun rattled when shaken or not.

What was I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I owned a PPQ M2, shot it in IDPAs SSP division with Dawson Charger sights and I couldn't tell you if the gun rattled when shaken or not.

What was I doing wrong?
    Was it the 5” version? It also doesn’t seem to be present on every model, but it is on several of them. I’ve handled some that did have it, and some that didn’t. I could make a little YouTube video to show it, maybe it’s an issue that is warranty eligible, but it’s definitely not normal.

Edit: The one I’ve noticed it on the worst is my dad’s and it’s a M1 5”, so a relatively uncommon model. Though you can find accounts of other people having it with all variants. What I’m describing technically doesn’t require purposeful shaking to see or hear the rattle.
    Last edited by plotinus; 02-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Cheers,
    David S.
    I think you make a good point, if I got the other gun then I probably wouldn’t see any enhance performance. It’s possible that I just concentrate more and try harder when shooting my dad’s pistol.

I’ll look into those dry fire programs, thanks!

So, i just found out the VP9 long slide conversion kit is now out. Instead of getting a new gun, I’m just going to buy one of those. I may get a second VP9 for carry and keep the existing one as a long slide— I’ll be content with those pistols as my primaries. The platform just works well for me, P30 feels similar, but the trigger isn’t my cup of tea as much.

I’m really glad I made this post, I’ve received some awesome advice. Plus waiting turned out to be the right move, now that I can buy my long slide VP9 with the longer barrel and fiber optic front sight.

As far as purposes, I’m mainly concerned with practicing to enhance my proficiency, with hopes of one day being competition worthy.
    Lots of good advice as usual here, but I’ll tackle this point. As long as you are safe with your gun handling, you need to just show up and shoot a match, or maybe take an intro to uspsa type class and then shoot a match. It doesn’t matter how good you get shooting with your friends, you’re never going to show up to those first few matches and do well. Then first couple matches you go to will teach you more about what you are or aren’t good at than any amount of private practice will. I’d recommend trying to squad with an M or GM shooter those first few times as well. Just get out and try it and bring the vp9 you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    As long as you are safe with your gun handling, you need to just show up and shoot a match, or maybe take an intro to uspsa type class and then shoot a match. It doesn’t matter how good you get shooting with your friends, you’re never going to show up to those first few matches and do well.
    It's pretty funny how many of us wrote different variations of this same post. If we don't see a thread soon about the OP's first experience with USPSA and/or IDPA, it surely wasn't for lack of trying on our part.

User Tag List