Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use on RMR cut to prevent corrosion?

What to use on RMR cut to prevent corrosion?

I'm going to send my Glock 19 GEN5 slide to ATEi soon to have an RMR cut done on the slide. I don't really want to pay $90 to have the whole side refinished and was wondering if anyone knew of something cheap I could put on the milled area to prevent rust / corrosion ?

Thanks
    Chris

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Any oil should be fine. Just go light so it doesn’t seep into places you don’t want it. And make sure you use the sealing plate that comes with the RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagerwerks uses "tool black" which is basically a cold blue solution.
    I'm not worried at all about corrosion in my dry environment.
    If I lived where it might get exposed to salt water i'd probably make it a point to remove the RMR occasionally and lightly oil it, especially after a known sustained exposure.
    With a o-ring sealed RMR installed that area should be just fine with cold blue (which is cheap and available in most gun stores).
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-18-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Are Glock slides stainless steel or carbon steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Are Glock slides stainless steel or carbon steel?
    carbon
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

This is the one thing that FrogLube excels at. Get the paste, don't dick with the liquid. Heat with a hair dryer, let cool and wipe it all off.

Eezox is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    carbon
    OK, then cold blue and a coat of MIL-PRF-16173 corrosion preventive: https://www.mil-specproducts.com/Pro...L-846,-CLASS-I

One of the advantages of using ATEi is that they refinish the entire slide, in coating similar to quality OEM offerings.

If I wanted to skip the refinish cost, I'd send to L&M and let him cerakote the cut segment for $20.

For the record, L&M has done 3 Sig slides for me and I've been very happy with their work.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    One of the advantages of using ATEi is that they refinish the entire slide, in coating similar to quality OEM offerings.

If I wanted to skip the refinish cost, I'd send to L&M and let him cerakote the cut segment for $20.

For the record, L&M has done 3 Sig slides for me and I've been very happy with their work.
    Ditto on this, I have a slide worked on by L&M with the cerakoting. Though I would suggest futureproofing your slide by getting something like the AOS cut.

Johnson's paste wax, Renaissance wax, or any wax with a high percentage of carnauba and no abrasives will work. The goal is to stop oxygen and water from getting to the metal. Ruger recommends the paste wax in the owner's manuals.

User Tag List