Thread: Crimson Trace J-frame

Crimson Trace J-frame

I like the Crimson Trace on my Micro 9 and would like to add one to my 637-2.

However, I don't like the grip shape of any of the available J-frame Crimson Trace models.
    I do like the feel of the non-laser Altamont Super Rosewood Combat grips for the J-frame.
    So, I've been thinking about gutting an LG-105 and modifying the inside of the Altamont grips to accept the parts (JB Weld and exacto knives are wonderful things).

Any thoughts?

https://www.hogueinc.com/legrips/jframe

Hogue makes a J-frame laser grip that is similar in shape to the altamonts. I have no personal experience with them.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

There is a form on Crimson Trace's website for requesting new products to be made. We should decide on a product as a forum and bombard them! They have one option in green for now, for J's which is crazy.

I'd like to see them do a round butt combat grip in the same faux rosewood plastic they use for the Micro 9.
    Preferably green laser.

I just ordered the Hogue mentioned above, and may hydro print it with a burl woodgrain dip.
    Name:  WTP-496-Burlwood.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  86.0 KB
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-22-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Hogue laser grip arrived.
    It's a mixed bag.
    1) Instructions said to use the included 0.028" hex wrench to adjust windage and elevation. Said wrench was NOT included. Laser spot does not presently align with point of aim.
    2) Activation button requires tremendous pressure from the middle finger - enough to be painful to the wrist (and I have strong hands). It might not be a problem for someone with larger or smaller hands than me.
    3) Grips are a bit too bulky for my hands, but are well shaped and well made.

At the moment, I'd rate them 3 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    Hogue laser grip arrived.
    It's a mixed bag.
    1) Instructions said to use the included 0.028" hex wrench to adjust windage and elevation. Said wrench was NOT included. Laser spot does not presently align with point of aim.
    2) Activation button requires tremendous pressure from the middle finger - enough to be painful to the wrist (and I have strong hands). It might not be a problem for someone with larger or smaller hands than me.
    3) Grips are a bit too bulky for my hands, but are well shaped and well made.

At the moment, I'd rate them 3 stars.
    Thanks for this. I havn't seen much of anything in the way of reviews of the Hogue laser grip.

I do see people complain about the button. Possible to relieve the rubber around it a bit?

Possibly a bit of Plasti-Dip from Home Depot to build the button up a bit.
    Also, grind down the ring finger groove a bit more.

And it might be possible to rework the interior of a pair of Altamont Super Rosewood Combat grips to accept a slightly altered set of Hogue 'innards'. The Altamonts fit my hand perfectly and would be the ideal solution for me. I'm going to look harder at this option.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-25-2019 at 08:08 PM.

I built up the activation button with Plasti-dip.
    It worked, and the laser activation is now both easy and comfortable.
    It will be a week or two before I know whether the Plasti-dip bond is durable enough for dependable use, but so far, so good.

A little over a week, and the activation button mod on the Hogue laser grip is still hanging in there. Grip is comfortable and activates easily. The Plasti-Dip blends well. I like the grip well enough now that I am doing a second one for my brother. I do wish it more closely resembled the wood Altamont Combat grips.

With the mod, I'd give it 4 stars.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 03-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.

User Tag List