Thread: The Tactical Games (CrossFit meets Combat)

The Tactical Games (CrossFit meets Combat)

https://thetacticalgames.com/

Looks like fun and worthy of training for. I don’t know how it’s scored, and I’m sure we could nitpick the exercise selection.

But I reckon if you do well in this you are probably pretty formidable.

Hopefully it takes off and they hold more around the country. I’d like to do a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    https://thetacticalgames.com/

Looks like fun and worthy of training for. I don’t know how it’s scored, and I’m sure we could nitpick the exercise selection.

But I reckon if you do well in this you are probably pretty formidable.

Hopefully it takes off and they hold more around the country. I’d like to do a couple.
    Looks interesting but I couldn't find an explanation of what specifically the events were? Looks like some kind of obstacle course with shooting requirements.

They held the inaugural event last year. There are some videos if you search on YouTube. Kitbadger did one. Recoil Mag has one, I think.

The actual stages aren’t publicized ahead of time. But it looks like it’s multiple stages. Each stage seems to be a in the vein of a CrossFit Games event, followed by shooting. I’m guessing there is a long time penalty for each miss. Sort of like a biathlon. But I don’t know.

I saw some farmer walks, sled drags, rope climb and deadlifts. There was a longer run in there too. All of that is functional. (Deadlift doesn’t replicate anything you’d do in combat but it’s a great exercise so I’m not complaining.)
    Last edited by BigD; 02-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Does it feature a 19-year-old kid who is 5'8" and weighs 145 pounds? And he carries 90 pounds of gear older than he is for 20 miles?

Not that we would want to make it realistic or anything......

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Does it feature a 19-year-old kid who is 5'8" and weighs 145 pounds? And he carries 90 pounds of gear older than he is for 20 miles?

Not that we would want to make it realistic or anything......
    Aside from the women who compete, most of the men are bigger guys, I don't recall seeing any guys in the 145 range, but there could be. There is a local guy that has competed in the TG's twice, and I've shot IDPA with him; he's 6' / 200# or so...which seems to be the typical size. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Aside from the women who compete, most of the men are bigger guys, I don't recall seeing any guys in the 145 range, but there could be. There is a local guy that has competed in the TG's twice, and I've shot IDPA with him; he's 6' / 200# or so...which seems to be the typical size. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
    As denoted by the emoji, SeriousStudent is having a little fun -- in this case describing the average kid grunt in actual combat circumstances vice these combat games.

I'd play if there were as many local affiliates as the now ubiquitous CrossFit...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    As denoted by the emoji, SeriousStudent is having a little fun -- in this case describing the average kid grunt in actual combat circumstances vice these combat games.

I'd play if there were as many local affiliates as the now ubiquitous CrossFit...
    Yeah, I think @SeriousStudent was having fun, but he's working off old figures and notions. Seems more like VN-era ideas where the grunts were draftees so young that they haven't reach their full height nor had their frames filled out.

The age of those actually in combat is higher in today's all volunteer military where Special Operations is leading the efforts. The average age of the last 20 KIAs in Afghanistan was 30. And rarely are folks humping 20 miles anymore. I won't say no one has humped that far in Afghanistan, but it would have been extremely rare when I was there. My gear was not 20 years old either.

Anyone, back to discussing the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    There's nothing from stopping the smaller guys from competing (obviously). It does look like from the photos that the competitors aren't skinny and have decent muscle mass.

Couple of points -

- I suspect the many of the smaller guys are self-selecting themselves out of the competition, perhaps thinking that moving all the weight makes it biased against them. Having said that, the weights weren't debilitating and shouldn't scare off anyone with better-than-average strength. I saw a lot of 50lbs-per-hand farmers carry and some sand bag stuff. 90lb sled drags, etc. Nothing strongman-level or even anything that says "you need to have a 400lb deadlift or don't bother showing up." And there is running (apparently some longer distances) and rope climbs, etc, where the smaller guys moving less mass will have an advantage.

- If one seriously trains for events like this, he won't stay a 145lber for very long. Obviously height and genetic disposition play a factor, but put a guy of close to average height on a steady diet of deadlifts and squats and farmer carries and real food and he won't be 145 for very long. So yeah, you probably won't see a lot of skinny guys competing.

Just to be clear, I just know about the Tactical Games except what I've seen on Youtube and Instagram. I'm not an expert or an ambassador for the events. Just keeping the conversation going.
    Last edited by BigD; 03-26-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Sorry for the necropost but, I signed up for the February event in Meridian, MS. Has anyone else run any of the Tactical Games events since 2019?
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List