Thread: Sourcing Parts for an AKS-74U

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Sourcing Parts for an AKS-74U

I bought a Tula AKS-74U parts kit some number of years ago, when such things could be had for relatively cheap. I am now looking to actually cobble together the remaining parts and turn it into a functioning rifle.

The receiver manufacturer I had earmarked, 74U LLC, is evidently out of business and didn't have the best reputation with regards to delivery times. So I need someone that makes a receiver.

I'm also not sure where to source a barrel. I know that the twist rate for a 74U is different than a typical 74, so you can't just buy a 74 barrel and just cut it down. I know effectively nothing about what goes into a decent barrel, so tips on what to look for would be helpful.

And then finally, a builder. I am familiar with a few companies, Rifle Dynamics and Piece of History Firearms, that have good reputations, but other suggestions would be welcome.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I just had a 74 that a builder had screwed up awhile back rebuilt by Troy Sellers at InRange. http://www.inrangec2.com

Turn around was about 10 weeks and I'm happy with how it turned out

Used a new childers reciever which seem to be well regarded. https://www.childersguns.com/Receivers

Edit to add: looks like k-var has 5.45 krink barrels in stock, but they are not cheap

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helothar; 02-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Have never built an AK, but here's a possible barrel source:

https://www.k-var.com/barrel-545x39m...-lined-arsenal

This looks like a potential receiver resource:

https://www.recreatorblanks.com/online-store

I'll recommend Meridian Ordnance as a quality builder. Mike was very easy to work with and very patient with me and my frequent detail-nagging on my AKS-74N project. I'll also definitely recommend getting an Arsenal Krink barrel; the Tula 74U kits are sufficiently rare that I think you'd be doing it a disservice to build it with anything short of a hammer forged, chrome lined barrel made on original combloc machinery.

It's a bit of a shame 74U LLC went under; they were most certainly the best at what they did but delivery times were every bit as bad as the rumors say. I think I waited something close to 2 years for my receiver to ship.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 02-16-2019 at 10:52 PM.

I've used Childers and Nodak Spud receivers and find Childers to be in a class their own. You can order it with the correct receiver markings as well.

As far as builders go, I'll second Meridian Ordnance, and throw in another for Troy Sellars at InRange. AK building is not something that can be easily fixed if it's screwed up and with a Tula parts kit which have become unobtanium, I'd definitely send it to the best.

Now that Jim Fuller is no longer the owner of Rifle Dynamics and just a paid consultant, I don't think he's doing much building these days but I'm told that if you want Jim to build your parts kit that it can be arranged. An AKS-74U would be exactly the kind of project that he'd want to build.

Okies, I've ordered the Krink barrel from K-VAR and ordered a build-appropriate receiver from Childers (whose customer service was super-responsive and helpful). Here's hoping this all comes together, because I know nothing about AKs and really have no idea what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Now that Jim Fuller is no longer the owner of Rifle Dynamics and just a paid consultant, I don't think he's doing much building these days but I'm told that if you want Jim to build your parts kit that it can be arranged.
    I'm sure any of the aforementioned builders would do a wonderful job, but getting Jim himself to put it together would definitely warrant the extra mile. How does one go about getting in touch with him?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Okies, I've ordered the Krink barrel from K-VAR and ordered a build-appropriate receiver from Childers (whose customer service was super-responsive and helpful). Here's hoping this all comes together, because I know nothing about AKs and really have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm sure any of the aforementioned builders would do a wonderful job, but getting Jim himself to put it together would definitely warrant the extra mile. How does one go about getting in touch with him?
    When I was doing my first AK build I messaged his personal FB account and he got back with me in like 2 days. I'm sure if you emailed Rifle Dynamics and told them you had a Krink kit to build and wanted Jim to build it, I'm sure they'd oblige.

Barrel is here. Thing is so small I didn't even realize it was in the package until I checked the packing slip.

Name:  IMG_20190222_162930.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  21.9 KB

The Arsenal mags I ordered are kind of beat up.... But hey, it's an AK. Just adds character.

One more builder option might be Jim Roberts at JBI Armory in Sanger, TX just north of you. He is finishing an AK for me right now and has done special projects like yours. He had a really nice Tula he just finished last time I was up there. Several of my friends have been happy with his work. He has taken good care of me.

https://www.jbiarmory.com
    Last edited by KG; 02-22-2019 at 08:16 PM.

User Tag List