Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P9 2.0 9mm, should I add a thumb safety???

Can you add a thumb safety to one that didn’t come with it? It thought you couldn’t, unless that changed with the 2.0.

All my M&P's have a thumb safety--it is the major point I like about the design. I had to add the safety to 75% of the M&P's I acquired. Having used 1911's from 1986-2010, I found the M&P to be the safety closest to a 1911 in my hands.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Given a choice between a TS model M&P or pistol without the ability to have a safety, gadget, external hammer, I would take the TS M&P.

For me, the M&P TS is almost there, but places just wrongly enough, that I don’t love it. Maybe it’s my small hands, but I wish they had copied the 1911 safety exactly.

In time though, I think I could learn to use it well and maybe even love it.

The M&P TS, in no small part, drove my switch to that gun - first with the .45ACP and later with the 9mm. I used, carried, on & off-duty etc a 1911 for the 20 years before that.

It's about 90% of a good 1911 TS; yes, it's easy to manipulate (on the 1.0 guns I deepened the notch to make it more positive but did not feel the need with the 2.0); yes, even with my short digits I have no problem getting on it & riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Can you add a thumb safety to one that didn’t come with it? It thought you couldn’t, unless that changed with the 2.0.
    Yes, I have a few I've added them to. And it's pretty easy to remove the mag safety once you're in there too. On any M&P that has the notch in the frame it's a drop-in affair. I think all of the 2.0's have the notch but the early 1.0's didn't. I sold a .40 I picked up cheap because I decided I wanted the TS and it didn't have the frame notch. I've even seen people cut the notch in the frame on the early guns that didn't have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I personally like the thumb safety, especially for beginners. Totally get that it isn't the way to go for everyone out there, but I just like the added option in case you decide you want to use it.

It's there if you need it, and you can always leave the TS off if you decide that you don't want to use it. You'd really have to hammer it on something to "accidentally" switch the TS on or off.

I have several 2.0’s, all with thumb safeties. I’m very comfortable with them, as I’ve had & shot 1911’s since the early
    1970’s. That said, I just bought a new 3.6 without the safety just because I love the gun. Since seeing this thread, I want to add the safety, since all my others have it. QUESTION; to those of you who are adding the safety, are you buying the needed parts straight from Smith, or another source?
    Thanks in advance for the info.

Skip

These are the parts I bought but I've only done them on first gens. I think but can't promise that the parts are the same.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...roducts_id=883

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...oducts_id=1188
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    These are the parts I bought but I've only done them on first gens. I think but can't promise that the parts are the same.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...roducts_id=883

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...oducts_id=1188
    I wish they made these for the Shield.

Subscribing I see a 2.0 in my future.

1911 default mode

I started my M&P adventure with a 45acp full-size 1.0 with thumb safety. This pistol, for me, had the 'ahhh" feeling when I first picked it up. So much of the 1911 feel whether grip safety or grip angle. This pistol just works for me. I did buy a full-size 2.0 M&P 45acp without the thumb safety. I may add the T/S or better yet buy one with the T/S already installed. Hopefully the 10 round magazine will survive the current political winds. Time will tell.

User Tag List