Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P9 2.0 9mm, should I add a thumb safety???

M&P9 2.0 9mm, should I add a thumb safety???

I recently acquired the 4" version of the new M&P9 2.0 line, my sample does not have the TS. For those of you who own this pistol with TS, would you recommend that I add one? How does the placement and functionality of the TS on the M&P 2.0 compare to that of the TS on a 1911? Is it easy to manipulate, does your thumb rest nicely on top of it, as with a 1911?

Thanks!
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 02-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Yes
    Similar
    Yes, and yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I like the thumb safety M&Ps because I am a huge fan of 1911s. You can ride the safety on one pretty easily but you can also manipulate the slide with it on, which I also like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 02-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.

If you have smallish hands and short fingers (as I do), operating the 2.0's thumb safety is a bit of a stretch.

Site Supporter
    Both of mine have them. The safety was part of the appeal for me. For AIWB I prefer that or a Gadget equipped Glock.

Site Supporter
    I carry OWB so I am ok with non safety on mine. I shot Glocks and non safety M&Ps so long that I do not use a M&P 2.0 safety on my range/competition pistols. I do have one M&P 2.0 Compact with a TS in case I decide I want a TS.

The thumb safety makes me feel better about AIWB carry. Both of my M&P's are with the thumb safety.
    When I got into the M&P I was transitioning from a couple of decades of the 1911. The similarity in operation made it easier.
    Last edited by Corey; 02-16-2019 at 11:32 AM.

As a 1911 guy, I tried to like the M&P thumb safety (had it on a full-size M&P 45). I did not like it. It is placed just slightly wrong enough to not work well for me.

Rosco

I have both TS and non-TS versions of the M&P.

I agree with Roscoe that the TS is placed just slightly differently than one on a 1911, and just doesn't feel as nice.
    I think it's still quite usable, but a 1911's is better.

I like the TS versions of the M&P for two specific situations:

1. AWIB/smart carry. Although if they made an SCD that would be acceptable too.

2. Aftermarket or lighter triggers. I have the Apex FSS one one of my guns and I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it without a TS.

cc

Site Supporter
    Same thought process here. A Smith M&P with an Apex barrel, a forward set sear, and a flat trigger is basically my poor man's equivalent to a WC EDC X9. Extremely accurate and easy to shoot, but there's no way I'd carry one without a thumb safety.

That said, with a hinged trigger vs a sliding trigger I found that my trigger finger placement would be different and the thumb safety placement was not as ergonomic as a 1911. You can still ride the safety but if you're primarily a 1911 shooter it's different enough to take some getting used to.

I haven't used many guns with thumb safeties that are as easy to use as a 1911.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List