Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For the gen-x car guys here (Buick GNX content)

For the gen-x car guys here (Buick GNX content)

If you like cars, and you went to school in the late 80s, then you know the deal on these, especially the ‘87.

8 original miles...

Auction ends in an hour, as of this post. Current record is 165K on an ‘87. If this doesn’t go to at least 150k, then there us no justice in the universe.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-buick-gnx-2/

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The will power required to buy a car like that and then not drive it

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The will power required to buy a car like that and then not drive it
    I’d throw a chip and injectors in that thing so fast, and then park it again at 99 miles for another decade...

Which is why I don’t deserve nice things. I once had a model 12 with no turn line... that escslated quickly.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There was one with something like 15 or 25 miles in the Buick dealership in Long Beach, CA a few years back. You could see where it had been repainted...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There was a sequential VIN pair this year too. I LOVE the GNX. There's a guy near me that drives his regularly

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    There was a sequential VIN pair this year too. I LOVE the GNX. There's a guy near me that drives his regularly
    These were awesome straight line cars back in the day. To me they haven’t aged well and the underlying platform is kinda..meh. I understand nostalgia is expensive but you’d have to pour a lot of money in to make it reliable after all this time.... and to me, cars are for driving. I understand not everyone views them that way.

BaT can be a lot of fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    These were awesome straight line cars back in the day. To me they haven’t aged well and the underlying platform is kinda..meh. I understand nostalgia is expensive but you’d have to pour a lot of money in to make it reliable after all this time.... and to me, cars are for driving. I understand not everyone views them that way.

BaT can be a lot of fun.
    The thing about a G-body is that everything, and I mean everything you need to make it a stoplight streetfighter or a drag strip monster is already sorted out. It's damn far from ideal out of the box, but all of the aftermarket support and solutions are there and it's just a matter of installing the parts you want to make it do what you want it to do.

That said, if I was ever in the income bracket to consider a GNX like that one, I'd buy it because then I'd have a new GNX to do GNX things with it - I'd never be able to *not* drive it, I'd just treat it like the once-in-a-lifetime chance to buy the new GNX I never got the chance to buy. So it'd get a few thousand miles on it a year and it'd still be a cherry ass low mile GNX - though it'd have a built engine and one of those new Garrett G-series turbos and a ProEFI or Motec running the show. Plus a built 12 bolt rear and the typical trans/suspension upgrades you'd expect to make it hook and go straight with ~700-800whp or so.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The thing about a G-body is that everything, and I mean everything you need to make it a stoplight streetfighter or a drag strip monster is already sorted out. It's damn far from ideal out of the box, but all of the aftermarket support and solutions are there and it's just a matter of installing the parts you want to make it do what you want it to do.

That said, if I was ever in the income bracket to consider a GNX like that one, I'd buy it because then I'd have a new GNX to do GNX things with it - I'd never be able to *not* drive it, I'd just treat it like the once-in-a-lifetime chance to buy the new GNX I never got the chance to buy. So it'd get a few thousand miles on it a year and it'd still be a cherry ass low mile GNX - though it'd have a built engine and one of those new Garrett G-series turbos and a ProEFI or Motec running the show. Plus a built 12 bolt rear and the typical trans/suspension upgrades you'd expect to make it hook and go straight with ~700-800whp or so.
    I hear ya. To each her own. the car in my avatar is my '86 BMW 325 which now runs a 306 CI SBF with a TKO close ratio. She was my road race car, now is a hillclimb / autocross car. For less than a third of a GNX like this if it goes high cost, I have something that's unique, pulls 1.7 G laterally and can run in the 11s in the 1/4. Granted she's caged and spartan on the inside, but....

Not knowing G-bodies that well, I feel like if i had to have a GNX i would probably build a clone from a clean econo version. But I'm with you - this is a cool time capsule, awesome to drool over and think back to when these ruled the streets.

Site Supporter
    I have a classic Mustang - 1970 Boss 302 - bought it as a freshman in college and kept it. I seldom drive it so it does not start/run well - it does not start/run well so I seldom drive it. I am getting closer to full retirement and it will be sold to help finance my retirement. Collector cars sound cool but kind of a pain unless you are REALLY into them and their quirks or you can afford to keep a few mechanics on retainer.

Hooo! That was a fun auction to watch. Each last minute bid put another 2 min on the clock. It was fun to see other people spend their money in a flurry of last minute bids... more than 70k in overtime, up to the total...

200k. That’s a lot for an 80’s Buick.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.

User Tag List