Thread: Bipod - magpul or Harris?

Bipod - magpul or Harris?

Not looking to get into extreme long range shooting but need to pick one up for a class on intermediate distances. Any thoughts on either of these two models? I’d like to buy something decent even if I only use it on occasion for the AR. The magpul seems nice but having a hard time finding good comparisons and reviews

Haha, I know the Atlas ones are probably the best option. However, I'm not planning to spend $200-300 on a piece of equipment I do not plan to use too regularly, which is why I went a bit lower market and am deciding between Harris and Magpul.

I picked up one of the new Magpul bipods. I'm a bit indifferent to it in that I wish Magpul would have put more ingenuity into it. I've used Harris' for years and like them. I ordered a Larue QD adapter for mine and by the time I was done, I'm not too far off from one of the Atlas PSR bipods. I've got a KAC bipod that is my current favorite, so I don't use the Magpul when more precision is required.

Magpul Pros:
    quick to deploy legs
    uses Atlas feet
    lightweight
    only a little rattle
    Easy adjustment (but not with legs deployed)

Cons:
    Legs only deploy to one position
    I didn't like factory mounting options (NO Q/D Picatinny)
    Plastic latches leave me wondering about durability

If you're looking for something to hang off an AR sometimes and don't plan on serious precision shooting, get the Magpul. For precision use, multiple leg positions are a gamer changer. The M-Lok version makes the most sense if you're using a free float M-Lok rail but most folks won't want to leave it on permanently.

I have an Atlas on my main gun. It's excellent.

But I also have two Harris pods on other guns, and they really are good bipods. I could be happy just using Harris.

I have not tried the Magpul.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have both the Harris and the Magpul. I like the Magpul for its ability to pan left and right while rotating. I use a generic QD picantinny riser to attach it to the Magpul to create QD option. The Harris probably more robust and does have a QD option. I have the Magpul on my AR10 and I like it more than the Harris.

I've not used a Magpul bipod, but I've owned and used a few from Harris. Still do.

If I were making a choice now, I'd decide based on weight. If I wanted lightweight, I'd try the Magpul. If weight wasn't a concern, I'd go with the tried and true Harris 6-9 S model.

Nothing makes the handling of a rifle change worse than weight out by the muzzle.

Site Supporter
    Magpul bipod prices seem to be coming down. I ordered one to try.

User Tag List