Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECQC AAR - Florida, Feb 2019

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would agree that taint shooting is probably uncontrolled...but then ECQC evos are often difficult to control. I've been tagged a bunch of times in uncomfortable ways. It's the nature of the experience. You don't want to hurt the person but you are also wearing a fist helmet so you may not be able to see exactly what you're doing, and you do want to tag them thoroughly enough that there's no question about what the effect would have been if you'd been doing it for real.

I got my nose broken once, sparring with somebody I like quite a bit and who, as far as I know, likes me as well. I'm sure there was no malicious intent. I once laid out a guy by throwing a relatively gentle kick as he was closing in...and cracked him in the balls with my shin, a week before his honeymoon. He wasn't upset. Combat sports are inherently dangerous. If one of you is going at 60% and the other at 90%, there's something a bit off. If you're both going hard and someone takes a nut shot, well, these things happen. I have only seen one guy at ECQC ever that I thought genuinely wanted to put a beating on someone (in this case, specifically me). Bossman saw it coming and kept us separated, luckily for me as the guy probably would have had his way with me.

I don't know what point I'm really making here, but I have almost never seen malicious intent in a Shivworks class. I have definitely seen panic and desperation and uncontrolled shooting, but that's the point. It's a training environment. If you're going to do uncontrolled shit, do it with a sim gun and learn the error of your ways. That's what I did, anyway...about 5 ECQCs ago I floated a sim gun all over the place while getting my ass handed to me. I don't think I was throwing rounds all helter skelter but I might have been; it was a long time ago and I have been hit in the head a lot. But afterwards, I was critiqued and even mid-evo I heard Craig saying "don't float the gun, you're floating the gun!" and I realized I was totally uncontrolled and I can't remember if I fixed it on the spot - probably not - but you know what I did do was fix it over time.

Evos expose your limitations. You will make mistakes and do stuff wrong and shoot people in places you will later feel sorry about. If I was going to give a single sentence of advice to people going it would be "Try your best and don't be an asshole." But there would still be taint shots, because in my experience, 99% of people doing that have no ill intent and may not know exactly where their opponent's taint is at all times during an evo. It's certainly not something on my permanent radar. I just want rounds on centre of mass, and if they reach COM via TAINT, I'll take it and buy a beer later because in the moment I want to win and I want the other guy to be facing a guy who wants to win and doesn't care about how.

I apologize for the length of this comment which is positioned as a bit of a rebuttal...it's not because I'm amped up and indignant or anything, I'm just waiting around while my wife puts the 1980s He-Man and She-Ra movie on a USB and I'm explaining myself at length because I hate being unclear. Sometimes a long reply can come across as confrontational which is not my intent, I just have a lot of thoughts about SW courses.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Good News last night!

A classmate managed to capture videos of 3 of my Evo's that I thought went unrecorded, and has different angles on the two Evo's that I already posted. It was fascinating comparing my written recollections above with the video of the (I though unrecorded) Evo - there were definitely differences in reality vs. perception/recollection.

I have a lot more to share and comment but am short on time.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr3 View Post
    The taint shot seems somewhat malicious or uncontrolled shooting your fellow student on the thigh would have made the same point.

I've seen similar intentional low blows in other ECQC videos. I'd hope students would show each other a little more respect. It's a training class not life or death have some self control.

Yes, I have been through ECQC and AMIS.
    I will state that the taint shot was deliberate, controlled and not malicious. When I realized that I was 'floating the gun' weak-handed, gangster-style to get 2 lucky COM shots in, THAT was uncontrolled and risky. My opponent could have easily captured and controlled BOTH guns if I wasn't careful.

Once I realized this I pulled the gun back in. That left me in a position without an obvious shot and with my opponent who had 2 free hands to clear my jammed gun and get to work on me. Time was of the essence. It absolutely occurred to me that a "Texas Heart Shot" (a hunting term - look it up) in a simulated life & death encounter was exactly what was required, and I took an extra moment lining up the blind COM shot the hard way as if my life depended on it.

The shot proved a success and I escaped that particular Evo unscathed - after having been skillfully manhandled and lit up at least 4 times by the same, clearly not to be underestimated ECQC alumni opponent in the previous Evo.

A new video with a different angle will be posted soon.

Do I feel a little bad? Yes. Did I do what needed to be done, and was it effective? IMHO Yes.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 02-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Regarding the clinch pick, and its use in the FUT: I'm pretty sure that Craig is a busy guy; I doubt that he would have been so dogged in bringing that design to market if there wasn't a reason. In my own experience of ECQC, that little thing appeared as if by magic with astonishing regularity, and it always ruined someone's evo when it did. I was on both sides of that phenomenon, myself.
    I've got a video where a LEO role playing a LEO handling a crazy homicidal/suicidal shitbag (me) trying to take his gun stabs said shitbag about 50 times and then shoots him in the face.

A good time was had by all. Well, not me so much, as the pellet got through an air hole in the FIST helmet and I got a new beauty mark. That particular alumni proved to be a world class face-shooter. I suspect this is learned behavior from past classes. Shit happens, flesh heals, I hold no grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Regarding the clinch pick, and its use in the FUT: I'm pretty sure that Craig is a busy guy; I doubt that he would have been so dogged in bringing that design to market if there wasn't a reason. In my own experience of ECQC, that little thing appeared as if by magic with astonishing regularity, and it always ruined someone's evo when it did. I was on both sides of that phenomenon, myself.
    In one of my evos last year I ended up getting shot in the head after I had stabbed a dude 20 times. ECQC is what really convinced me in the value of carrying a small knife every day. I may die, but no one gets to kill me for free.

I received and uploaded videos of an evolution I posted earlier, but from a different angle.

First, this is what happens when you allow your opponent to get a step ahead of you and you are forced to play catch-up. Short version is that he cleverly used his far leg to gain control of his pistol. I THOUGHT I had adequate control of it with my knee and was sadly mistaken. I then take a shot to the ribs followed by two more shots to my left side shortly later. A minor mistake on my opponent's part was not leaving enough room in a contact shot for the slide to cycle, and he experienced a FTE.

He tosses his jammed pistol, then gets my gun behind my back and gains control of it. After playing an couple of unsuccessful rounds of 'chase my lost gun' I take a 4th shot to the chest with my own damn pistol. My grappling wasn't horrible, but I failed to adequately control the weapons TWICE and got my ass roundly handed to me.

Dear Opponent: Well played, well played indeed.

This was yet another humbling and sobering experience for me.

Earlier video for easy comparison (watch the first of 2 evos):

Last edited by GuanoLoco; 02-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I'm so sad that I missed this for the stupid Florida Open...

Where wast the class!?!

Also... whatever bad blood we've had, I'm sorry.

Please don't shoot me in the taint.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Where wast the class!?!
    http://shivworks.com/course/ecqc-florida-2018/
    https://www.okshooting.com/

Were good, brah. Plus you could probably shoot me in the taint twice as fast as i could reciprocate.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    http://shivworks.com/course/ecqc-florida-2018/
    https://www.okshooting.com/

Were good, brah. Plus you could probably shoot me in the taint twice as fast as i could reciprocate.
    Instead of taint-shooting, we should get a beer... I think @Matt Little and I will be teaching a class at OK Shooting in April (13th&14th), which is in your neck of the woods.

I gotta get to a ShivWorks class sometime soon.

Where wast the class!?!

Yeah I'd much rather have done this than shoot 64.6% of Kim. I did ECQC up there last year and it was awesome as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Yeah I'd much rather have done this than shoot 64.6% of Kim. I did ECQC up there last year and it was awesome as shit.
    Lol...

Right? The Florida Open is a rough "junk punch"...

User Tag List