Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ECQC AAR - Florida, Feb 2019

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Dude, that's some great footage of some interesting evos between well-partnered opponents. Thank you for posting those!
    Thank you, Sir! I was but willing flesh, the real thanks goes to my worthy opponents and thoughtful classmates who rolled tape on my Evo’s and then shared with the class!

For the record, it’s going on 2 weeks and am still recovering. Worst is my hands - the pointer finger of my strong hand is definitely sprained and still swollen, I definitely strained the tendons in both hands, and I have a collection of random aches and pains. My various cuts and minor flesh wounds are mostly healed over. My welts are fading faster than I would have thought. There is a sting in the moment, but they don’t amount to much after that.

I definitely and voluntarily overdid it (self-inflicted, you DON’T have to go that hard), tore myself up like I haven’t been torn up in well over a decade, learned more in less time, and had the best damn time in @SouthNarc’s ECQC class that I’ve had in years.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I've plugged it before, but https://www.amazon.com/Armaid-Myofas...eywords=armaid remains my go-to tool for all things above and below the elbow. Nobody enjoys waking up with claw-hands at 2am, but the work has to be done; and this helps me address such problems head-on without the risk of further injury.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    For the record, it’s going on 2 weeks and am still recovering. Worst is my hands - the pointer finger of my strong hand is definitely sprained and still swollen, I definitely strained the tendons in both hands
    My first ECQC my trigger finger was wonky for a good 6 months afterwards. I think it must have gotten wrenched in one of the ground evos and I didn't realize. Subsequent ECQCs have left less lasting physical effects. Hope that means I got tougher?

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    My first ECQC my trigger finger was wonky for a good 6 months afterwards. I think it must have gotten wrenched in one of the ground evos and I didn't realize. Subsequent ECQCs have left less lasting physical effects. Hope that means I got tougher?
    Probably less dumb. I’m pretty sure some of the death grips I used in the evos, particularly the unnecessary one where I got shot in face as a bad guy, weren’t very wise. Gotta go back and see if I posted that one.

Site Supporter
    Guano,

Glad you enjoyed it. I will be putting my 19 year old daughter through when Craig comes back through here in Oct.

Welcome to the club.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    For the record, it’s going on 2 weeks and am still recovering. Worst is my hands - the pointer finger of my strong hand is definitely sprained and still swollen, I definitely strained the tendons in both hands, and I have a collection of random aches and pains. My various cuts and minor flesh wounds are mostly healed over. My welts are fading faster than I would have thought. There is a sting in the moment, but they don’t amount to much after that..
    I jacked up two fingers on the same hand when I took EWO, and it took a good two months for them to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

Welcome to the club.

pat
    Hear hear.

Wow! With the injury to the hands, if your day job requires delicate manipulation with your hands and fingers this class is probably a no-go. That leaves me out. Great write up though. I did learn a lot vicariously through you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Wow! With the injury to the hands, if your day job requires delicate manipulation with your hands and fingers this class is probably a no-go. That leaves me out. Great write up though. I did learn a lot vicariously through you.
    I took ECQC while under contract to perform in a quartet at a major university festival, the follwing weekend. *Totally* living dangerously, since injuring myself would pretty much guarantee that I never got asked back again. Holding down one rehearsed part in a quartet is the very definition of "key man:" they say that nobody is irreplaceable, but that sort of thing is a clear exception to that rule.

Anyhoo, it was fine, both ECQC and the quartet performance went off ok. The suit jacket hid all the bruises on my wrists and the now-permanent sim scars on my body.

Just don’t be a type-A dipshit, and you should be fine. Train according to your level of strength, and your responsibilities. This will necessarily be different for an "Agency" security contractor and an eye surgeon, and for the eye surgeon to pretend differently for a weekend is objectively retarded. Same reason I work hard in jits or boxing class, but won’t ever compete. Sure, I’m missing out on that last 10-20 percent of pressure competency, but all those 20-something white belts wrenching their fingers are missing out on 100 percent of the public quartet performances and cataract surgeries.

Don’t let bare fear keep you from getting 80 peercent of the benefit from a class like this, IMHO. Use reasonable caution instead, and be willing to lose the classbattle to win the life war. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Agreed. I’m 54 with 10-11 years of no grappling flashing back to my 40YO self in the peak of my skills and trying to play to and past my physical limits. In the non-consensual, non-competitive drills, you could, for example, go the recommended 20% and not 20-80% all day with guys that you aren’t going to casually push around. In the evos you don’t have to go full retard, especially when you are role playing an ‘Unknown Contact’.

Like I said, my condition is self-inflicted and I’m sure I’m not healing as fast as I did in years past.

I still can’t wait to go back!

User Tag List