Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Important is Pre Travel Weight to a “Good” Trigger

I am only interested in the trigger pull weight as I press the trigger until it fires rather than removing pre travel prior to firing the pistol.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This could be an interesting topic.

My first reaction was here goes Eric focusing on hardware minutia, when he should be focusing on technique minutia. I still believe that it is only when he realizes the main factor in how he shoots different pistols is his ability, not hardware, that is when he will start making big progress.
    When I posted the topic I actually wondered how long it would take you to make a pithy comment to this effect

I am under no delusions about what is required to make big progress, but I find the hardware interesting.

I am sort of interested in making the LEM more shootable. Or at least figuring out why it is such a difficult trigger to master.

Hammertime

How Important is Pre Travel Weight to a “Good” Trigger

My theory here is that an abrupt wall type trigger break with a rapid increase in pull weight across the break is generally a bad thing and leads to flinching.

And that the total pull weight is less important than having a small delta across the break for encouraging good shooting.

My experience with 1911s, while limited, showed that I flinched them considerably with a stock 4.5-5lb trigger and a crisp break.

I hope @JonInWA will comment.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Why obsess over this minutiae?

No trigger will ever be "perfect". Do to the work to master whatever you grab and then stacking or the wall won't matter one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Do you rotate pistols on a particular schedule or is it just motivated by interest?

Also, I don't recall you writing about 1911s, do you not shoot those?
    I pretty much was a dedicated 1911 guy until I moved to Alaska in 2002, and quickly found out that cold, wet hands and gloves did not get along with small trigger guards, small controls and short triggers. I still have a lifetime supply of high quality 1911 pistols, in case I get the itch again.

There is no rhyme or reason as to when I switch, except that I think I have a good reason when I do it. When I was not competing, I was more interested in shooting different guns, but now that I am seriously, I only shoot one type gun in competition and try to EDC a version of it too, so all my effort goes into increasing skills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am sort of interested in making the LEM more shootable. Or at least figuring out why it is such a difficult trigger to master.
    Don't bother. I've had the best by Lazy wolf and it felt exactly the same as spring change and it had a very lethargic reset.

LEM is difficult because it has a long pull like a DA, but a wall&break just a little crisper than a Glock. In the time it takes to work through the trigger you begin to question your decision to mess with this trigger and that leads contemplating the meaning of life and about the time you're trying to decide what to eat for dinner the wall jolts you out the daydream and before you can shake it off and find the front sight, the dang thing has already gone off.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Don't bother. I've had the best by Lazy wolf and it felt exactly the same as spring change and it had a very lethargic reset.

LEM is difficult because it has a long pull like a DA, but a wall&break just a little crisper than a Glock. In the time it takes to work through the trigger you begin to question your decision to mess with this trigger and that leads contemplating the meaning of life and about the time you're trying to decide what to eat for dinner the wall jolts you out the daydream and before you can shake it off and find the front sight, the dang thing has already gone off.
    This made me giggle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    People like to discuss the technical details of pistols and shooting. This seems like a good place to do that.
    Motion to rename this Pistol Minutia Forum.

All in favor?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

Add Mr. Givens watching me with a timer, and this sums up my LEM experience accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    When I posted the topic I actually wondered how long it would take you to make a pithy comment to this effect

I am under no delusions about what is required to make big progress, but I find the hardware interesting.

Well that rascal has many a post opining how something about the Glock hardware makes it easy for many to shoot ok but tricky to shoot at a very high level.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List