Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats don't want to take their guns away

Democrats don't want to take your guns away

Remember Obama et al saying that?

Next time someone tells you that, show them this: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pel...dministrations

I think it would be a catastrophic miscalculation for whomever makes that declaration.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-15-2019 at 06:40 AM.

I dislike Pelosi intensely for a large number of reasons, but in this case, she's not wrong; using a declaration of national emergency the way Trump has stated that he plans to would set a VERY dangerous precedent, especially if the house + senate don't have a veto-proof majority vote to shut him down on it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I dislike Pelosi intensely for a large number of reasons, but in this case, she's not wrong; using a declaration of national emergency the way Trump has stated that he plans to would set a VERY dangerous precedent, especially if the house + senate don't have a veto-proof majority vote to shut him down on it.
    How? People keep treating this like it gives the President unknown broad powers, but the 1976 National Emergencies Act provides for the suspension of specific laws and only provides statutory allowances to do specific things. The President cannot simply decide to do anything under the statute.

Pelosi is trying to scare Trump's base about the consequences of his proposal, but has no legal basis for any of her claims.

Trump plans to use a specific federal statute to execute his plan. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/2808

ETA: I forgot to note that some people already thought of this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/5207
    Last edited by joshs; 02-15-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Controlling the border is a constitutionally-legitimate role of the federal government

A national emergency declaration pursuant to 10 USC 2808 is a lawful exercise of executive power. There is a legal basis to what the President is going to do.

A "national emergency" due to gun violence is authorized under which part of the US Code?

Pelosi is full of shit and bluffing. Calling her bluff will be fun.

However, the point of this is to show that when the democrats say "no one will be coming for your guns" they are lying 100% of the time. As if Katrina wasn't proof enough......
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-15-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yawn. Clinton was gonna do that, then Obama was supposed to. Still waiting for my civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Yawn. Clinton was gonna do that, then Obama was supposed to. Still waiting for my civil war.
    Clinton made a real deal all out effort to do it and changed the gun culture forever.

He created the manic "buy cheap, stack deep" mindset. He single handedly rescued a dying "assault weapon" industry and made the AR15 a must have.

He also created the Militia craze of the 90s.

He also sparked the development of the carry size guns and the CCW laws across the nation.

He was the greatest gun president until Obama.

Irony is built into the quantum foam of the universe.

I think the best route would be to veto the bill, declare the emergency and go directly to the American people with the specific details of why the bill is being vetoed.
    From what I have read about it it's a fucking of the American people from both sides of the aisle in particular on the R side from that swamp creature McConnell and his cronies.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I think "A Republican president has never done it" would rank really low on a Democrat president's list of reasons not to do something.

It would come after "The New York Times might stop supporting me because of it".

Site Supporter
    Pelosi trial-ballooning a 'national-emergency' to up-end a Constitutional Amendment is about as disturbing, creepy, and literally stupid as Eric (Nuke'em) Swalwell's suggestion the government would win any conflict because, nukes.

I don't know why there's such a stir about this. President Trump is just enforcing the law.

The Secure Fence Act

Preventing illegal entry into the United States is quite a bit more of a "National Emergency" than many of the previous declarations.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List