Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo: What to buy and what to avoid for shooting ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I *almost* bought an M&Pc 22 simply because of the input I received here on the value of a .22 for learning trigger control at lower cost than 9mm, even though it is not like what I normally shoot (Glocks).

Still thinking about it, actually. If Glock made a 19 in .22 caliber I'd probably already have one. When I looked into the 22 conversion kits for G19s it seemed like they were almost the price of an actual .22 so I decided not to go that route (I'm sure it was not exactly but that was my impression as I recall; could be wrong.)

The other difficulty in the M&P design is the hinged trigger they use. My first handgun was an original M&P full size 1.0 model in 9mm. I concluded after a couple years shooting both the rental at the range as well as my own that I purchased (this was several thousand rounds) that I didn't, really, like the way it felt. So an M&P 22 compact while I am sure is a great gun if you have an M&P full size, at least "for me" doesn't make sense as the trigger on it probably would drive me nuts. I mean they sell a ton of handguns including the Shield at what? 4M of them? So it seems fine for a lot of folks. It just didn't work for me.

But at any rate, yes I'd like to get a .22 at some point.
    I love my AA kit for the 19. I think it was about $300 on eBay and well worth it, especially since I get to keep my aftermarket trigger, magwell, grip mods, etc.

FWIW, you might look for a 22 that is 'close enough' to your carry gun that it will still do the job without being the same brand. I agree, that's ideal, but maybe not possible since not all 9mm gun makers make the identical 22 versions. However, there are many aftermarket conversions out there which would be my choice #2.

I carry a H&K VP9 but found the Walther P22 'close enough.' Similar grip, paddle style mag release, similar trigger (in single fire), etc. No, it's not the same size and it's not striker fired. And obviously the recoil is like a BB gun.

When I shoot, mostly on private property, I'll start and end with a few drills with my VP9 with other drills sandwiched between with the P22.

Recoil is the main difference between the two guns.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 03-03-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I love my AA kit for the 19. I think it was about $300 on eBay and well worth it, especially since I get to keep my aftermarket trigger, magwell, grip mods, etc.
    Thanks, I will look into that. Now that I have a G26.5 for carry, and my G19.5 is more setup for USPSA all the time, swapping out the parts to make the G19 a .22 for a range session might make more sense. Plus, no need for another serialized item/4473 if I buy one.

About how long does it take to convert over to a .22? How about back?

Would you say that it is just as accurate in .22 mode as with the regular 9mm parts installed?

And one I'll need to look into, I assume they make these kits for Gen 5's by this point.

ETA: It seems they do: http://www.cmcgov.com/ADV-ARMS-CONV-...23-G5-BAG.html
    Last edited by RJ; 03-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Understudy gun

Here is another vote to invest in an “understudy” .22 gun to your usual carry gun. Get is as close as you can to weight, same holster, controls, etc... For years I have had a four inch, six shot model 617 that is a dead ringer for my four inch 686.

Recoil on 22 lr pistol is not noticeable...

Recoil obviously would be different.
    For some reason, I didn't even feel recoil from the M&P 22 lr.
    It was almost non existent.
    I'm not a big guy but have pretty big hands so that may have played a role.

I didn't pay attention before on the calibers but looks like I only shot 22 cal till now.
    I'll try 9mm next and see if there's noticeable recoil.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Recoil obviously would be different.
    For some reason, I didn't even feel recoil from the M&P 22 lr.
    It was almost non existent.
    I'm not a big guy but have pretty big hands so that may have played a role.

I didn't pay attention before on the calibers but looks like I only shot 22 cal till now.
    I'll try 9mm next and see if there's noticeable recoil.
    That’s the one thing a .22 can’t help you with: recoil control. Everything else can be exactly the same till the actual firing of the gun. Marksmanship, trigger control, etc, are all the same. A .22 does have some recoil: the gun moves, the muzzle shifts. It can be minimized to the point of nearly not there without a lot of effort, where a 9mm or .40 or .45 will take a lot more effort to minimize and control recoil, even though in normal guns none of them are objectionable hand manglers for most people.

Every range is unique, and choosing the right one can be important. I belong to two here. One is members only, everyone is screened by at least two board members before being accepted, RSOs get keys but we are required to take and pass an 8-hour class to to so; end result is a very safe range with mostly very capable members. This one is still reasonably priced, although some like this in major markets can have waiting lists or be expensive to join. My other one is open to the public but again safety is paramount; for this one there's a smaller annual fee and then we pay a little each visit ($2 for members, $5 for non-members). We have few ammo restrictions at either, basically nothing really big (no .50) and no tracers, which are illegal here and a wildfire waiting to happen in dry season.

There are two other local ranges which I won't go near, one they try to do a good job but for some reason it gets really crowded and attracts every wannabe with a cheap AR and the one day I filled in for a RSO buddy there it was the most stressful range day of my life. Poor layout too. It's an accident waiting to happen. There's also an indoor range with no supervision which makes me nervous. And I stay far away from the riverbar where the bottom feeders shoot, having already been muzzle swept there plus having knocked down targets set up in unsafe places. And it disgusts me when people shoot up a TV or a piece of furniture and then leave it and drive away. Anyone that careless and sloppy shouldn't be around guns, what else are they lazy about?

Side note, one of my clients is California National Guard and I just returned from a visit to a soon to be upgraded combat pistol range that I'm doing the permits for. Our engineers designed in a very nice drainage system which captures suspended lead before it leaves the site. Having read the USEPA guidance for shooting ranges, that's the future for at least the larger ranges.

And on ammo... personally, I stay with reasonably good quality practice ammo and for calibers where that can be expensive I reload.

Thanks, I will look into that. Now that I have a G26.5 for carry, and my G19.5 is more setup for USPSA all the time, swapping out the parts to make the G19 a .22 for a range session might make more sense. Plus, no need for another serialized item/4473 if I buy one.

Would you say that it is just as accurate in .22 mode as with the regular 9mm parts installed?

And one I'll need to look into, I assume they make these kits for Gen 5's by this point.

ETA: It seems they do: http://www.cmcgov.com/ADV-ARMS-CONV-...23-G5-BAG.html
    I’m not sure about accuracy. Honestly I tend to just do mag dumps every time I use it because it’s fun... I’ve been meaning to really test that out but just haven’t gotten to it. Installation is as simples as swapping the slide over so it couldn’t be easier. That being said, I’m not sure about the Gen 5s. Their website doesn’t mention them and I have no idea if the company is even still in business because the only place I remember being able to find a kit was eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammo: What to buy and what to avoid for shooting ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’m not sure about accuracy. Honestly I tend to just do mag dumps every time I use it because it’s fun... I’ve been meaning to really test that out but just haven’t gotten to it. Installation is as simples as swapping the slide over so it couldn’t be easier. That being said, I’m not sure about the Gen 5s. Their website doesn’t mention them and I have no idea if the company is even still in business because the only place I remember being able to find a kit was eBay.

Thanks. The Gen 5 version seems out of stock at e.g. Glockmeister. Will keep looking for one; I think a .22 conversion has lots to offer me for cheap trigger control practice that won’t beat up my shoulder if I shoot lotsa live fire in a session.

Last edited by RJ; 03-05-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Hammertime

It takes as long as removing the slide and installing a different slide.

Can’t comment on accuracy.

Mine have not run as reliably as I would like. They need to be very lubricated and pretty clean, with ammo they like. But they are crazy fun and easy for working on trigger control. The .22 can make you look like a hero.

User Tag List