Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ammo: What to buy and what to avoid for shooting ranges?

If you can buy in bulk you can get much better prices normally than big box stores or local gun stores. Check out the ammo deals thread here for an idea on what stores are referenced for deals in the past and what the cost is, or ammo seek has a decent search function as well.

I think a case can be made for the 22, but don’t overlook dry fire for developing skill, and it costs nothing monetarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    It takes as long as removing the slide and installing a different slide.

Can’t comment on accuracy.

Mine have not run as reliably as I would like. They need to be very lubricated and pretty clean, with ammo they like. But they are crazy fun and easy for working on trigger control. The .22 can make you look like a hero.
    Thanks E. I got tentative permission from SWMBO for an expenditure, provided I locate a Gen 5 version of one of these conversion kits.

Which will be interesting, as shooting a .22 will be a new chapter in my handgun task book of experiences, which currently includes only 9mm and a few hundred rounds of .38 special wadcutter.

Ammo: What to buy and what to avoid for shooting ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks E. I got tentative permission from SWMBO for an expenditure, provided I locate a Gen 5 version of one of these conversion kits.

Which will be interesting, as shooting a .22 will be a new chapter in my handgun task book of experiences, which currently includes only 9mm and a few hundred rounds of .38 special wadcutter.
    Well.

For whatever reason there do not seem to be any Gen 5 Glock 19 kits for sale anywhere.

I’ll keep an eye out.

It was however suggested that Glock ‘might’ bring out a .22 soon, as in possibly at an upcoming event. So since I don’t have a burning need for a .22, really, I’ll keep my options open at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 03-08-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

It was however suggested that Glock ‘might’ bring out a .22 soon, as in possibly at an upcoming event. So since I don’t have a burning need for a .22, really, I’ll keep my options open at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, you must've missed that announcement, too. Glock says that they'll be releasing their .22-caliber pistol on February 30th, 2020.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 03-08-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Yeah, you must've missed that announcement, too. Glock says that they'll be releasing their .22-caliber pistol on February 30th, 2020.

Cool Narrowed down ranges to three...

I went to all of them and wanted to summarize what I felt.
    All these have retail area and offer training classes.
    I've listed few things in addition to help myself decide.

1. Centennial Gun Club:
    Good: Well maintained and huge facility, lots of lanes (28), lots of members (over 5500), dedicated area for sales and gunsmith etc...
    Offers IDPA and other competition matches such as bowling pin.

Bad: Very expensive initiation fee ($347).
    No discounted annual rate.
    Only 25 yard ranges.
    Not too close to my place.

2. BluCore:
    Good: Pretty decent club. Only one indoor around here with 100 yards indoor range so that's great if you are into rifles.
    Low (currently waived) initiation fees and free gun rentals (current promotion) for members. k:
    Offers membership for training as well.
    Range is in the well ventilated basement.
    Pretty close to my place.

Bad: Not a lot of lanes (5 100 yard lanes and 12 pistol lanes) so gets busy in the weekend.
    No discounted annual rate.
    Looks little old, dim and crowded compared to other two.

3. Bristlecone:
    Good: Well maintained and clean facility, member lounge, dedicated area for sales and gunsmith etc...
    Can watch the range from the shop.
    Offers different plans, monthly with initiation fee, annually, weekdays only etc...
    Offers USPSA classes and other competition matches such as bowling pin.
    Pretty close to my place.

Bad: Initiation fee is pretty high ($225)
    Not a lot of lanes (14).
    Only 25 yard ranges.

Decisions... decisions... decisions...

Site Supporter

Regarding .22 LR conversions

Adding to the previous discussion, I used an Advantage Arms G19 conversion quite a bit during the "ammo panic" a few years back, as well as an M&P22, and feel that they can fill a valid niche. IMHO, they are most useful if you are limited by ammo budget, but have plenty of range time available, or better yet, can shoot on your own property for free. OTOH, if you're severely limited on range time, you might be better off with lots of dry practice, and then stick to full caliber for what live fire you do get.

I think Todd G referred to the .22's as "ballistic dry fire", i.e. you don't really get anything out of it that you couldn't get via dry practice, but the bullet holes help keep you honest, vs. being overly optimistic about what your sight picture was when you got the click.

I never saw a point in using a .22 for anything other than single-shot drills. I'd always switch to full caliber for multi-shot drills. (At least, if actually focused on training. If plinking for fun, feel free to blast away, and I highly recommend reactive targets.)

My M&P22 ran well with almost any ammo. My AA G19 kit was a finicky eater, and often malfunctioned. I didn't really see this as a problem, since I was only doing single shot drills, but it would make range sessions go much slower. Again, are you limited by time, or by ammo?

The 22LR conversion kits also run dirtier than centerfire ammo, IME. I'd be a little hesitant to use one on my carry gun unless I had time for maintenance afterwards. Obviously, no such concern using one on a dedicated training gun.

As far as accuracy, I found both the M&P22 and AA conversion kit to be precise enough to hold a 10 ring on a B-8 at 25, even with bulk ammo. I did see POI shifts with different brands of ammo, so I'd suggest finding a brand the gun likes and sticking with it, so you're not chasing sight adjustments all the time.

I'm currently more limited for time than for ammo, so don't use the .22's much, except for taking new shooters to the range.
    Last edited by Dave J; 03-14-2019 at 01:06 PM.

From SGAmmo 124grain Lawman. Very accurate and clean.

User Tag List