Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seeking ballistic gel test results with 147 gr loads from a glock 43

seeking ballistic gel test results with 147 gr loads from a glock 43

All, I did a search but was unable to find an answer to my question: Has anyone seen any proper ballistic gel testing with 147 gr 9mm loads ( particularly standard pressure HST) from a Glock 43, or from a different gun that could reasonably be expected to produce velocities similar to those from a 43? If so, did they consistently meet the standards when fired into either bare gelatin, or through FBI heavy clothing, or the IWBA 4 layer denim test? And how about the windshield test? Thanks in advance.

From the 2nd Page of DocGKR's 147gr Duty Load Testing thread, which is a "sticky" at the top of this sub-forum:

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For 9 mm, the results are essentially identical with barrels from 3.5-5", you get more variation in lot to lot differences than with barrel length.
    The G43 has a 3.4" barrel.

Take an educated guess whether its worth digging deeper.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I chronographed 147gr HST (standard velocity) out of my G43 and measured 980 fps. (Yes, that's correct, 980 fps.)
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 02-14-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    All, I did a search but was unable to find an answer to my question: Has anyone seen any proper ballistic gel testing with 147 gr 9mm loads ( particularly standard pressure HST) from a Glock 43, or from a different gun that could reasonably be expected to produce velocities similar to those from a 43? If so, did they consistently meet the standards when fired into either bare gelatin, or through FBI heavy clothing, or the IWBA 4 layer denim test? And how about the windshield test? Thanks in advance.
    The standard pressure 147 HST should perform well out of your G43.

I asked a similar question to one of Vista Outdoors law enforcement sales guys at a corporate event a few months back. I asked him if one were to carry a short barreled gun, such as a G43, which ammo would he recommend. He smiled, pulled a loaded G43 magazine from his pocket, and said "these". I took the magazine and saw it was loaded with 147 HST standard pressure. The rep told me "they work pretty well out of shorter barreled guns". He has seen a great deal of ammunition testing and is aware of the actual performance in LE shootings of different types of Federal and Speer ammunition. He carries the 147 HST in his G43. DocGKR also carries the 147 HST. Good enough for me.

With this information plus everything I have learned and am seeing, I have pretty much standardized on the 147 HST across the board as my carny ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    The standard pressure 147 HST should perform well out of your G43.

I asked a similar question to one of Vista Outdoors law enforcement sales guys at a corporate event a few months back. I asked him if one were to carry a short barreled gun, such as a G43, which ammo would he recommend. He smiled, pulled a loaded G43 magazine from his pocket, and said "these". I took the magazine and saw it was loaded with 147 HST standard pressure. The rep told me "they work pretty well out of shorter barreled guns". He has seen a great deal of ammunition testing and is aware of the actual performance in LE shootings of different types of Federal and Speer ammunition. He carries the 147 HST in his G43. DocGKR also carries the 147 HST. Good enough for me.

With this information plus everything I have learned and am seeing, I have pretty much standardized on the 147 HST across the board as my carny ammo.
    Thanks. That's what I've been looking for.

Just to add to the good info above, here is another YouTube tester. He uses calibrated, ordinance gelatin, and he tests through both bare gel and four layers of heavy denim (albeit no safety glass). Testing using a 3” barrel. He loves the 147gr HST. Everybody talks about good ammo being barrier blind; it seems HST is also velocity blind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VfWkWMzOI&t=315s
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 02-20-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    Just to add to the good info above, here is another YouTube tester. He uses calibrated, ordinance gelatin, and he tests through both bare gel and four layers of heavy denim (albeit no safety glass). Testing using a 3” barrel. He loves the 147gr HST. Everybody talks about good ammo being barrier blind; it seems HST is also velocity blind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VfWkWMzOI&t=315s

Thanks.

Interesting. Over in a thread about revolvers in 9mm, I commented that I was unsure how 9mm loads with work out of a 2" LCR. A 3" auto-loader barrel is pretty much the same as a 2" revolver barrel, so perhaps this isn't as big a concern as I thought.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I don't believe it is. I chronographed some rounds back when I had a S&W 940 as a BUG and I remember the velocities being pretty decent overall. IIRC, the 124 Hydra-Shok (our issued duty round at the time) averaged around 1050 fps. Federal advertises 1120 fps for this round but doesn't specify the type and length of barrel used. As many have noted in other threads, the 147 grain loadings lose less, percentage wise, than lighter bullets when fired from shorter barrels.

User Tag List