Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Nylon gun belt

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Trying not derail or start another thread...I'm looking at the wilderness belts, specifically for "games" and owb carry at the range. Would be carrying a 5" 1911 or a glock of some sort with 2 mags on the support side.

Is the 5 stitch enough or should I spring for the polymer liner?
    Thanks!
    It was for me for nearly a decade. The 5 stitch is plenty stiff for your purposes, so long as your pants also fit you well (too large a waist on pants and you have to tighten up your belt more than necessary, the waistband wrinkles and rubs against your waist and you end up feeling too tight at the waist while your pants don't feel like they hold up right)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Trying not derail or start another thread...I'm looking at the wilderness belts, specifically for "games" and owb carry at the range. Would be carrying a 5" 1911 or a glock of some sort with 2 mags on the support side.

I have a graith belt now and its just not rigid enough for the owb setup I use now (safariland plate and loop) A little too much flop when I draw the pistols.

Thanks!
    I have both belts. A CZ 75 fully loaded weighs almost as much as a 1911. Get the one with the polymer insert.

I have a graith belt now and its just not rigid enough for the owb setup I use now (safariland plate and loop) A little too much flop when I draw the pistols.

Thanks!
    5 stitch is plenty stiff. I wouldn't bother going stiffer.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm looking at the wilderness belts, specifically for "games" and owb carry at the range. Would be carrying a 5" 1911 or a glock of some sort with 2 mags on the support side.

A 1911 in a concealment type, high ride holster is doable with the 5 stitch, but for any sort of low ride duty or competition holster it'll probably be too flexible.

I've never owned the version with a liner, but if I were buying a Wilderness belt, with my preference for stiffer belts I'd go for the version with the liner.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    A 1911 in a concealment type, high ride holster is doable with the 5 stitch, but for any sort of low ride duty or competition holster it'll probably be too flexible.
    Physics says the opposite is true and my experience bears it out.

The higher a semi auto rides the more it tends to twist the belt outwards because semi autos are heaviest in the butt (all that ammo in there, remember) and the higher the butt is over the belt the more of a moment (lever) arm it has to torque the belt.

The higher you want the gun to ride in the holster the stiffer the belt needs to be.

Kinda tossing this around a bit. I have a 33" measured waist with pants on and the wilderness recommends the CSM belt for larger waist sizes...

I may try the 5 stitch for my purposes.

Thanks for the help folks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Has anyone found the ideal thickness when it comes to the nylon belt? I've been seeing things at 0.06" webbing all the way up to 0.2"+

Looking to potentially make one myself, but don't really want to buy 30 different kinds of webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Physics says the opposite is true and my experience bears it out.

The higher a semi auto rides the more it tends to twist the belt outwards because semi autos are heaviest in the butt (all that ammo in there, remember) and the higher the butt is over the belt the more of a moment (lever) arm it has to torque the belt.

The higher you want the gun to ride in the holster the stiffer the belt needs to be.
    A low ride attachment creates in essence a lever with which to twist the belt during draw. Oh sure, if you get the draw just right, no problem. But if you happen to get it just slightly wrong, a low ride holster can create much more torque to the belt than a concealment type holster, and if the belt isn't rigid enough now your holster is twisting upwards instead of releasing the firearm. Hence, the need for a stiffer belt when using a low riding holster.

A low ride attachment creates in essence a lever with which to twist the belt during draw. Oh sure, if you get the draw just right, no problem. But if you happen to get it just slightly wrong, a low ride holster can create much more torque to the belt than a concealment type holster, and if the belt isn't rigid enough now your holster is twisting upwards instead of releasing the firearm. Hence, the need for a stiffer belt when using a low riding holster.
    This is definitely one of the more bizarre things I've heard recently.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is definitely one of the more bizarre things I've heard recently.
    +1 WTF

User Tag List