Thread: New to me M&P CORE. Now which RDS?

New to me M&P CORE. Now which RDS?

Just traded for this 9mm CORE and am interested in mounting an RDS. This will be a fun gun for now, and I'll eventually use the slide & RDS on my duty gun.

I've read several white papers and articles on the various models and brands, but I'm looking for your experiences. Primarily I'm concerned with reliability and ease of use as it will be carried in a duty holster 40+ hours a week in all weather conditions. I'm aware Safariland makes a SLS/ALS model that protects the RDS.

Also curious about the advantages and disadvantages of the different dot sizes, as well as comparisons between fiber optic/LED/ adjustable LED models.

Thanks!

Congratulations on the acquisition.

Is it a 1.0 or 2.0?

I have used two flavors of RDS. The Trijicon RMR Dual illumination and the Vortex Venom.

The vortex Venom is 3 MOA which is a small dot. It’s harder to use quickly but it’s great for shot to shot transitions on multiple targets.

I shoot a 6 MOA Trijicon RMR and it’s a great balance of quick acquisition of the sight picture and shot to shot transitions.

There are even bigger dots that are 10 or even 12 MOA but why bother, at that point?

I’m doing competition shooting with mine, not for public service. I find the RDS to be useless at less than 10 yards since my open sight sights are more prominent at that distance.

The advantages of RDS is with further targets 15 yards and beyond (75 yards).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the info! It's a 1.0, but the price was right, especially with the Apex already installed. Turns out he bought it from the shop where I used to work and the Apex was installed by a coworker.

User Tag List