Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want this. Just because - 9mm Gatling

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    But does it take glock mags?
    The article says it does.

Also, last time I checked, Uncle Sam regards a a cranked firearm as NOT a full-auto.

These things change of course.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

That thing is sweet. Sadly, crank triggers have effectively been made illegal in Florida due to vague terminology in the recent bump fire stock ban here.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-15-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That thing is sweet. Sadly, crank triggers have effectively been made illegal due to vague terminology in the recent bump fire stock ban.
    I don't think so - https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

Critical component:

The final rule clarifies that the definition of “machinegun” in the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) includes bump-stock-type devices, i.e., devices that allow a semiautomatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger by harnessing the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.
    A gatling gun is not a semi-automatic firearm, because it has multiple barrels and multiple chambers, each turn of the crank indexes a new barrel/chamber and fires the round inside of the barrel as it is indexed. Each turn of the crank rotates the barrel assembly, cocks, and releases the hammer. It's basically just a big magazine fed double action revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I don't think so - https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

Critical component:

A gatling gun is not a semi-automatic firearm, because it has multiple barrels and multiple chambers, each turn of the crank indexes a new barrel/chamber and fires the round inside of the barrel as it is indexed. Each turn of the crank rotates the barrel assembly, cocks, and releases the hammer. It's basically just a big magazine fed double action revolver.
    I was vague. Too much editing of my original thought. I was referring to the slippery slope found in the latest round of Florida legislation. Updated my previous post for clarity.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/790.222

790.222 Bump-fire stocks prohibited.—A person may not import into this state or transfer, distribute, sell, keep for sale, offer for sale, possess, or give to another person a bump-fire stock. A person who violates this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, the term “bump-fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.

Emphasis mine

Last edited by StraitR; 02-15-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

I was vague. Too much editing of my original thought. I was referring to the slippery slope found in the latest round of Florida legislation.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/790.222

Emphasis mine

But again, says "Semiautomatic weapon". So someone would have to classify a gatling gun as a semi-automatic weapon, which would go against the standard conventions of firearm definitions.

But again, says "Semiautomatic weapon". So someone would have to classify a gatling gun as a semi-automatic weapon, which would go against the standard conventions of firearm definitions.
    Well, it's either a "semi-automatic" or a "machine gun". I'm pretty sure crank triggers are currently classified as the former, are they not? It's one shot per pull of the trigger, regardless of the crank's mechanical advantage. The 10/22 Gatling kits have been popular here, so unless there is something drastically different about this Tippmann, it would also fall under "semi-automatic". Otherwise, why make and market a non-transferable toy?

ETA: In which case, a crank trigger is a "kit" and/or "conversion" and/or "device" that increases the rate of fire of a semi-automatic.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-15-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Well, it's either a "semi-automatic" or a "machine gun". ....
    Or a bolt action, or a lever action, or...
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Well, it's either a "semi-automatic" or a "machine gun". I'm pretty sure crank triggers are currently classified as the former, are they not? It's one shot per pull of the trigger, regardless of the crank's mechanical advantage. The 10/22 Gatling kits have been popular here, so unless there is something drastically different about this Tippmann, it would also fall under "semi-automatic". Otherwise, why make and market a non-transferable toy?

ETA: In which case, a crank trigger is a "kit" and/or "conversion" and/or "device" that increases the rate of fire of a semi-automatic.
    There is something drastically different. The 10/22 "gatling" kits are just kits to stick two semi-auto weapons together. The trick here is the reloading.

The NFA considers a fully automatic weapon to be: Any weapon which shoots automatically, more than 1 shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger, is a machine gun as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), the National Firearms Act (NFA).

A gatling gun (proper) requires the manual turning of the crank to fire, eject, and subsequently reload each chamber in each barrel. A partial turn of the crank will only fire a round, and do nothing else. A full crank rotation is required to complete the process. In other words, a gatling gun is not capable of firing more than 1 shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger (sear). It is only capable of firing a single round, period, by single function of the trigger, and requires manual operation to reload and fire again.

In the 10/22/AR15/etc case. There the semi-automatic actions use recoil and/or gas to extract and reload the chamber of the barrel. They get away with crank firing, because the crank only trips the trigger once (and may well be illegal now under the Florida law you cited). They could still fire both barrels simultaneously, because the ATF allows for volley fire (firing of more than 1 bullet, by a single trigger press, as long as each bullet is fired from its own barrel).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-16-2019 at 12:10 AM.

...because volley-fire is legal (i.e., legal to have 2 or more shots fired with a single trigger pull, as long as each bullet leaves its own barrel). Volley-fire isn't relevant to proper gatling guns, ....
    So is anybody making a repro mittraileuse...?
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    So is anybody making a repro mittraileuse...?
    This? https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...33-volleyfire/

I dunno, but someone SHOULD. Because it'd be awesome.

Or maybe this:

A 40mm "Beehive" round, which is effectively a volley-fire .22 from a 40mm launcher.

Name:  attachments__84892.1512670541.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  100.0 KB

I also wish you hadn't pointed this out, because now I know this exists and I could have lived my whole life without the wanton lust I have for that now....
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-16-2019 at 12:19 AM.

User Tag List