Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 s&w pistol

The nice thing about 40 S&W guns is that with just a barrel swap and mag change you can shoot 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig out of one gun or add a .22 cal slide and shoot 4 calibers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    The nice thing about 40 S&W guns is that with just a barrel swap and mag change you can shoot 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig out of one gun or add a .22 cal slide and shoot 4 calibers.
    I’ve had the same experience with Beretta 96. A 92 barrel and mag, and you’re good to go for 9mm. Very LEGO-like.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I keep eyeing the cheap H&K .40s on Gunbroker. I figure it would be good to have one .40 in the safe...
    During the last ammo drought, .40 was almost always available. (I bought a trade-in 226.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    During the last ammo drought, .40 was almost always available. (I bought a trade-in 226.)
    I know! I've been thinking that I would eventually buy Glock 35 because I've always shot Glocks, but right now I'm in the middle of a fling with a HK P30. It's confusing.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have a S&W M&P Gen 1 5 inch "Pro" 40 that has always been run with a 9mm conversion barrel. I ran it hard until the M&P 2.0 came out. Still have it can convert it back to 40. Lots of deals on 40s right now.

The other side of the coin is asking yourself how much 9mm you could put away for the cost of a .40 pistol? But then if you are trying to justify buying another gun, rock on.
    Taking a break from social media.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have no plan to acquire further .40 S&W platforms. I enjoy my Beretta PX4, P229, and M&P. They are good guns and I will keep them. The PX4 in particular is nearing a phenomenal 15K rounds with 1 recorded stoppage with a manufactured round. They're good to have around for ammo droughts and for specialized purposes. My woods/camping gun is usually a .40 with flat-front JHPs, decently effective on both 2-legged and most 4-legged threats.

But...their time is simply over. I came to this forum an ardent defender of .40 for 2+ years, but you can't argue with science and testing forever. My 9mm platforms with 147-grain Federal HST do everything my .40s could against 2-legged threats with more rounds, less recoil, and easier maintenance.

I think grabbing one really good quality .40 at the current bargain pricing (classic P-series, HK, or PX4) is a great idea. Then store it with a small backup ammo supply and call it good.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Not everyone is professional enough to carry a 40.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 02-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Having observed caliber wars for decades, l hope we finally got it right. .45 vs 9mm, which failed and then to 40 S&W and 357 Sig and back to 9mm. I must not fail to mention the death pill 5.56 which replaced the 7.62 Nato, and now the death pill is suspect. Oddly, experts would write and defend and sometimes bray. Some were super subject matter experts with whom others must not disagree. I enjoyed the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Seeing the massive drop in popularity of the 40 since 2013, and that surely retailers and manufacturers noticed 40 sat on shelves while 9 and 45 were impossible to keep in stock, will 40 ammo be as available the next time as last time?

User Tag List