Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with older PSA upper?

I'm ordering Colt springs from Brownells, but just for giggles are the Wolff extractor springs any good?

Without getting into springs, buffers, etc, are the only ways to fix an oversized gas port to plug and redrill, install an adjustable gas block or barrel replacement?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'm ordering Colt springs from Brownells, but just for giggles are the Wolff extractor springs any good?

Without getting into springs, buffers, etc, are the only ways to fix an oversized gas port to plug and redrill, install an adjustable gas block or barrel replacement?
    I put one of the Black River Tactical insertable gas ports into the PSA I mentioned, but didn't end up keeping that setup long enough to see what long term durability of that solution would be.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=6464009
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I know nothing about Wolff extractor springs.

Springs and buffer will not cure over or under gassing. Only controlling gas flow can do that. Good ways to fix an over sized gas port are-
    - Replace the barrel with a barrel that has the correct gas port diameter
    - Install an adjustable gas block (preferably from SLR)
    - Install a BRT Micro Port in the gas block (BRT offers gas blocks ready to accept the needed Micro Port and kits to modify the existing gas block)
    - Install a BRT gas tube (which has an undersized gas port to allow the user to open it up a little at a time with a drill until the desired gas drive is achieved)

There are adjustable gas keys, but I feel it's better to control the flow upstream from the gas key to keep excess gas from flowing into the action.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Keep it simple and just shoot it for now. If you want to adjust gas later then go for it but by all means it will most likely work fine as-is. Throw in a Sprinco Blue/H2 combo and a 5-coil Sprinco extractor spring in it. If something breaks then upgrade it or if if you want to adjust gas after that then go with one of the BRT offerings.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 02-15-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Huh, I never knew gas port inserts were a thing. I've run adjustable gas blocks before but I suppose I can see the utility of a gas port insert if you're running only a certain bullet weight/loading as opposed to buying whatever's on sale (like me).

I need to get it out and shoot it more anyway so shoot it 'til it breaks isn't a bad plan. It really sounds like there's more that could be changed/improved rather than things that should be changed.

Gas key staking

No markings on the buffer. Without weighing it, is there a way to determine which one I have?

Last edited by awp_101; 02-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Gas key staking looks a bit weak but should be okay for now. I'd keep an eye on it.

Your buffer is definitely a carbine weight buffer, so an H or H2 + Sprinco Blue would be an improvement given how overgassed PSA rifles tend to be.

Huh, I never knew gas port inserts were a thing. I've run adjustable gas blocks before but I suppose I can see the utility of a gas port insert if you're running only a certain bullet weight/loading as opposed to buying whatever's on sale (like me).

I need to get it out and shoot it more anyway so shoot it 'til it breaks isn't a bad plan. It really sounds like there's more that could be changed/improved rather than things that should be changed.

Gas key staking

No markings on the buffer. Without weighing it, is there a way to determine which one I have?

Staking is a little anemic but par for the PSA course and that my friend is a standard 3oz buffer. H, H2, and H3 buffers are stamped on the face as such.

I did some horse trading last year with my buddy that included some AR tools and I may or may not have gotten a staking tool in the deal. If so I may just see if I can add to the existing crimp without too much trouble.

That makes sense on the buffer since it either came from a carbine LPK or carbine buffer tube kit. I've never handled the other weights so I've never seen how they're marked.

It's kind of nice to be getting the AR fire back after going through some of the threads here. My wallet disagrees but I stopped listening to it a long time ago. wanders off to Brownells to add a buffer and spring to the extractor spring order...

Typically they're marked like this.

Attachment 35231

Site Supporter
    You are missing the beauty of a cheap PSA upper. Does it work as-is?

User Tag List