Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What is by your bed?

I have three flashlights by my bed. I don't exactly know why I have three of them there, they just sort of... accumulated there. But hey, one is none and two is one and three is one point three, right?

I keep one on its lowest setting, one on its highest, and by some curious coincidence the third one always comes on in its medium setting.

(Yes, I really should clean up the extra junk from my bed side table... Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.)

P30 V1 w/124gr HST

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Bruh,

It's what is by your bed.

Not "In your nightstand".

Not "In your prison purse".

___

Last night I had one of "those" dreams. The kind where you're dealing with something at night. And you need a gun. In my case it was a shapeshifting monster that kept alternating between pissed off weretiger and an old friend of mine (that used to be a neighbor but hasn't been a neighbor for a decade). I went to grab the shotgun from beside the bed and it...wasn't there. So I went to the safe and opened it to grab a handgun or an AR. And the only gun in the safe was a High Standard Derringer in .22...Not the thing to fight off a weretiger. As I went to confront the thing and shot that stupid derringer and it failed to stop the cat, I woke up just as I was pounced on.

Moral of the story is...I got up this morning and checked every damn gun in the house. I think this might have been a casual sub-conscious feeling that I'm not satisfied with my current performance in shooting. So, I think I'll schedule some range time next week. And...I think I might need an LTT 1301 to snuggle with. Just to keep the lions, tigers, bears, and nightmares at bay.
    My reoccurring nightmare theme has been impossibly long trigger pulls that never break. It has popped up for three decades now.

I keep my carry guns by the bed--640 pro w/nightsights and my p32, loaded with .38+p short barrel Gold Dots and Fiocchi fmj, respectively.

My H&K FP6 lives in the closet, stoked with 5 rounds boring Federal 9 pellet 00 Buck, followed by 3 equally boring Foster slugs.

I used to keep a high cap 9mm by the bed, but discontinued the practice after thinking night sights are highly superior. I imagine my 625 or px4 will end up beside the bed someday, depending on which one gets tritium sights first.

I also keep a couple of high powered flashlights in easy reach.

Wife keeps her Tomcat by her side of the bed.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

...and last but not least, electronic muffs!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    My reoccurring nightmare theme has been impossibly long trigger pulls that never break. It has popped up for three decades now.

I keep my carry guns by the bed--640 pro w/nightsights and my p32, loaded with .38+p short barrel Gold Dots and Fiocchi fmj, respectively.

My H&K FP6 lives in the closet, stoked with 5 rounds boring Federal 9 pellet 00 Buck, followed by 3 equally boring Foster slugs.

I used to keep a high cap 9mm by the bed, but discontinued the practice after thinking night sights are highly superior. I imagine my 625 or px4 will end up beside the bed someday, depending on which one gets tritium sights first.

I also keep a couple of high powered flashlights in easy reach.

Wife keeps her Tomcat by her side of the bed.
    Shoot lots of DA revolver. Until you’re sick of it. My long heavy pull nightmares went away with tons of DA revo shooting/dryfire. Really the dreams are often just manifestations of insecurity whether real or perceived. “Correcting” the problem will tend to make them go away.

In the case last week, I think my brain took all my guns, because I haven’t practice a lot lately, even dryfire. So, it’s going, “All you can trust yourself with is a .22 derringer.” The next day I did a rifle, a shotgun, and pistol dryfire session and have focused on one of those three for at least 10-minutes a night since and no more shooting nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Shoot lots of DA revolver. Until you’re sick of it. My long heavy pull nightmares went away with tons of DA revo shooting/dryfire. Really the dreams are often just manifestations of insecurity whether real or perceived. “Correcting” the problem will tend to make them go away.

In the case last week, I think my brain took all my guns, because I haven’t practice a lot lately, even dryfire. So, it’s going, “All you can trust yourself with is a .22 derringer.” The next day I did a rifle, a shotgun, and pistol dryfire session and have focused on one of those three for at least 10-minutes a night since and no more shooting nightmares.
    Brah, I'll have you know I introduce myself as "primarily a DA revolver shooter" to other gun nuts in the flesh. Getting back into the 50 dryfires a night with a DA revolver habit. Shot 50 rounds out of my Model 17 today (not very well: best 6 shot group at 10 yards 2" ×1.5", worst was 4"). Those dreams mostly went away, until I shot my friend's. 22 mag Smith with the 30+lb pull. No joke. I literally couldn't pull the trigger in DA mode a third time in a row.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I don't have the luxury of calling 911 unless I can survive till the next day? Maybe 2-3 hours? So I go pretty stout. I designed a long hallway to where I sleep, 1 way in 1 way out. Inside wall facing hallway is a book shelf with lots of books, not just because this is a house of learned doctors.

100 lb American bulldog named axel rose to my right, m9a3 with tlr- 1 to my left, 870 tactical with 00 buck and tlr 1. plate carrier and multiple light sources with bug out bag with an underground escape route through crawl space. The latter is more for tornado and earthquakes.

Network of speed dial rednecks, po'dunks and hillbillies on my phone. I even sleep in my clothes and where my belt.

Took this shot just before bed last night...

Name:  56F33F1D-A1D0-47B3-B449-A3FCE1C44E6C.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  38.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Thought I was the only one.

What is by your bed?

SP2022 w/124 GDHPs and a handheld Surefire G2 something, don't know the nomenclature. M4 with sling/light/red dot setup is not far away.

User Tag List