Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What is by your bed?

SIG P226R with a light, spare magazine.

Other stuff in the bedroom safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Tinnitus is no joke.

Tinnitus.

Most of the time my Glock 26 is next to my bed. The longest distance I can be from anything in my apartment is 20 feet. I really think that's too close for a rifle.

Last edited by Cypher; 02-22-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added photo

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Most of the time my Glock 26 is next to my bed. The longest distance I can be from anything in my apartment is 20 feet. I really think that's too close for a rifle.

That's one funky looking nightstand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    That's one funky looking nightstand.
    That's loading gate of a truck at work. I took that picture because somebody wanted to see how the Magpul magazine fit with the hand grip of the gun. I think they were afraid of getting their hand pinched in that little gap between the grip and the magazine base
    Last edited by Cypher; 02-23-2019 at 07:42 AM.

I had a test of my nightstand setup tonight. Nothing too exciting. I was just getting to sleep when I heard a knock knock knock on a door. I wasn’t sure if it was one of my kids or the front door. My wife heard it too and we started to get out of bed, then the doorbell rang. This was about 11:30 at night.

My wife asked if I could see who was there in our outdoor camera. I. He led the app on my phone and crap! - I realized I had reset the wifi password and the camera wasn’t connected to the network.

Wife started to head for the front door. I told her to stop and wait. I got my pistol, in its holster, from the nightstand safe (a simplex lock quick access pistol box). I put the holster in my waistband and cinched it up - more on that later.

I started walking to the door and said loudly enough to be heard outside, “Who’s there?”

“Police department” was the reply. I opened the blinds on the door to verify that it was, in fact, a uniformed officer. I opened the door and asked “How can I help you, officer?” Apparently the police had received a noise complaint about some construction late at night and they were informed the complaint came from my address. I told him I had not made a complaint and that there was construction going on next door in the shed behind the neighbor’s house that’s under construction.

Anyway, he told me to have a good night and I said the same.

Lessons:

1. Having a small flashlight clipped to your sleep shorts is a great idea. The Coast HX35 with a lithium ion 14500 battery puts out about 300 lumens in a tight circle and has a clip that is very secure on gym shorts - and it’s only $20. Regular AAs work in it too, with about half the output.

2. A JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 with soft loops will still mostly support a Sig SP2022 cinched in the waistband of gym shorts. The closure on the loops prevents the gun from sliding down, while the claw prevents the holster from coming out with the gun. I would have preferred a solid clip-on holster with a lighter gun, though. It would have printed less too.

3. Check your cameras after resetting the wifi password.

4. Leaving an LED lightbulb on all the time in your house is very convenient and doesn’t use much energy at all. It turns out light bulbs are really good for helping you see in the dark. Thanks to Tom Givens for this tip in one of his newsletters.

5. I need to articulate a better plan with my wife. She thought I was freaking out.

6. Saying “Who’s there?” is a very simple yet overlooked tactical skill that everyone should practice.
    Last edited by zuplex; 02-27-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    I need to articulate a better plan with my wife. She thought I was freaking out.
    Same issue at home. No matter how many examples of home invasions I show her she still doesn't get it. Very smart in some ways yet incapable of accepting that violence sometimes comes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    SNIP
    Cypher, what is that extended mag...magpul, special floor plate, etc? Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Magpul 12 round

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    This is the magazine. I haven't had a chance to use one in training or anything like that but just at the range I have yet to have a malfunction with them

Last edited by Cypher; 03-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Glad to see that I am not the only paranoid person who keeps a fire extinguisher by the bed. You are probably more likely to be awakened by a home fire as a home invasion. Especially in my case as I live in an all wood cabin. I keep a large commercial can by the bed.
    Great point! I keep a fire extinguisher by the bedroom door. Minor difference but you always want to fight a fire with your back to an exit so you can quickly leave if the fire doesn't get out. In other words, suppose something in the bedroom is on fire. Run to the bedroom door, pick up the extinguisher, and fight the fire from the doorway.

User Tag List