Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is by your bed?

Site Supporter
    Since this is a technical sub-forum I'd like to politely suggest that we should keep the conversation centered on equipment and possibly tactics instead of speculation about what might be in the hearts of those who may seek to do us harm in the night. That might be a topic more appropriate in General Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Since this is a technical sub-forum I'd like to politely suggest that we should keep the conversation centered on equipment and possibly tactics instead of speculation about what might be in the hearts of those who may seek to do us harm in the night. That might be a topic more appropriate in General Discussion.
    Seconded. @Tom_Jones - possible to get this stuff split out of this thread?

On a technical note - I like the flashlight @Rich_Jenkins linked to, but that'd keep me up at night on my nightstand. Any solid tactic(ool) lights with GITD that are a little less uhh...glowy?

I keep a TLR-1S on my 1911 and that's pretty much my go-to. But because I don't carry a gun everyday, it's pretty much in the safe most of the time.

Fortunately, there is quite a bit of distance between my front door and my bedroom and I have a 55-pound dog that is pretty thoroughly mad when woken up in the middle of the night.

I too don't bother with hearing protection. Because between the dog barking and my wife yelling, chances are good the shotgun will be the quietest thing in the house.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-19-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Seconded. @Tom_Jones - possible to get this stuff split out of this thread?

On a technical note - I like the flashlight @Rich_Jenkins linked to, but that'd keep me up at night on my nightstand. And solid tactic(ool) lights with GITD that are a little less uhh...glowy?

I keep a TLR-1S on my 1911 and that's pretty much my go-to. But because I don't carry a gun everyday, it's pretty much in the safe most of the time.

Fortunately, there is quite a bit of distance between my front door and my bedroom and I have a 55-pound dog that is pretty thoroughly mad when woken up in the middle of the night.

I too don't bother with hearing protection. Because between the dog barking and my wife yelling, chances are good the shotgun will be the quietest thing in the house.
    I reported the posts also. I also like @Rich_Jenkins set up nd am a big fan of how his gear has developed.

Thanks for reopening the thread. I was typing the following last night when you closed it down...

I've been thinking about electronic hearing protection next to your bed. Obviously, protecting your hearing is important, and having T-Bone's and Bubba's sounds amplified after they've gained entry could be advantageous. A couple points bother me, besides the issue of whether you'll have time to don them.

• What will you hear (and not hear) with electronic ear muffs on?
    • How do you talk to 911 while wearing them? (I ASSume you use speakerphone.)

I ran a very unscientific test yesterday to see how this would work and noticed several things. I was alone in a quiet house with two ~65lb dogs and used a typical mid-level pair of electronic ear muffs. The phone was placed on the counter next to me.
    1. I had to turn the volume on both the muffs and speakerphone fairly high in order to hear the voice on the phone. That surprised me. I figured I'd be able to hear the phone easily with its volume at a low to moderate level.
    2. I'm not a cop or military. I'm just a regular Joe who doesn't even wear 5.11 pants or a rigger's belt, but something tells me a 911 operator talking to you on speakerphone when you're trying to hide from the bad guys falls under the bad tactics category.
    3. The clicking of dogs' nails on a wood floor gets amplified, which in turn drowns out the voice on the phone, and everything else for that matter.
    4. A dog's bark is loud enough to make the muffs cut out so you can't hear anything for a moment. With rapid and/or multiple dogs barking, electronic muffs act just like old fashion ear muffs. You're not going to hear your phone or T-Bone. Not that you'd hear them over Scruffy's barking (or your wife's screaming) anyway, but you get the point.

I'm not saying they won't work or they're a bad idea, they just didn't seem to work well for my impromptu experiment.

Site Supporter
    Valid point about the phone, although in such a scenario my wife will probably be the one on the phone with 911.

Plus, I am not going to try to hide from the bad guy(s). I will loudly let them know I am aware of their presence, the police have already been called, and that I am armed and will shoot their ass if necessary. Of course the house alarm will probably have gone off by that time. If anyone else I care about is in the house and is at risk I will be moving to position myself however the situation calls for.

Mossberg shockwave cruiser ready with 4 on the side saddle. Federal 00 buck onboard.
    Last edited by eb07; 02-20-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
    I bought this glow in the dark flashlight to try:

NEW 2016 376 Lumens Pelican 3310PL LED Photoluminescent Flashlight by CVPKG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NULXSZK..._n6lBCbMCWTX9G

I love it. I place it bedside while I’m relaxing before bedtime and it charges from my lamp. The glow lasts all night, so it is easy to find it in the dark should the need arise.
    While it’s not a Surefire that flashlight kicks ass. I got one for my daughter and she sleeps with it next to her bed.

Oh, and G17 + X300 for me
    Last edited by J0hnny; 02-20-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderburn View Post
    Thanks for reopening the thread. I was typing the following last night when you closed it down...

I've been thinking about electronic hearing protection next to your bed. Obviously, protecting your hearing is important, and having T-Bone's and Bubba's sounds amplified after they've gained entry could be advantageous. A couple points bother me, besides the issue of whether you'll have time to don them.

• What will you hear (and not hear) with electronic ear muffs on?
    • How do you talk to 911 while wearing them? (I ASSume you use speakerphone.)

I ran a very unscientific test yesterday to see how this would work and noticed several things. I was alone in a quiet house with two ~65lb dogs and used a typical mid-level pair of electronic ear muffs. The phone was placed on the counter next to me.
    1. I had to turn the volume on both the muffs and speakerphone fairly high in order to hear the voice on the phone. That surprised me. I figured I'd be able to hear the phone easily with its volume at a low to moderate level.
    2. I'm not a cop or military. I'm just a regular Joe who doesn't even wear 5.11 pants or a rigger's belt, but something tells me a 911 operator talking to you on speakerphone when you're trying to hide from the bad guys falls under the bad tactics category.
    3. The clicking of dogs' nails on a wood floor gets amplified, which in turn drowns out the voice on the phone, and everything else for that matter.
    4. A dog's bark is loud enough to make the muffs cut out so you can't hear anything for a moment. With rapid and/or multiple dogs barking, electronic muffs act just like old fashion ear muffs. You're not going to hear your phone or T-Bone. Not that you'd hear them over Scruffy's barking (or your wife's screaming) anyway, but you get the point.

I'm not saying they won't work or they're a bad idea, they just didn't seem to work well for my impromptu experiment.
    Because what this thread need is another topic shift...

What kind of ear pro are you using? Compression ear pro like Howard lights and the higher end peltors don't turn off, all the sounds are transmitted electronically at a fixed level that you set. The noise reduction is mechanical from the cups themselves. Cancelling types which is what is sounds like you have do shut off when their decibel threshold is hit.

It is possible that neither one is an ideal solution however we are not after super spidy senses here, the goal is to A not be temporary deafened after discharging a weapon and B not have permanent long term hearing damage.
    As for 911, you don't necessary need to hear them, at least until after a few minutes when responding may be officers arriving on scene. It is possibly more important for them to hear you, Address, name, situation, and you loudly telling the intruder that they need to leave etc. and updateing as needed.

Just some thoughts YMMV and all that

Back to topic...
    Ear pro already unfolded and ready to go (takes all of 5 seconds to put on so unless the dude is standing over me, they go on first)
    Hand held light kept on the other side of the partition that the firearm is on
    holstered G34 with a TLR
    Beagle in Overwatch position
    Cell phone
    Kindle
    long guns are in reach however that is primarily for livestock protection as the layout of my home is not well suited to using a long gun even in a fixed position.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 02-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.

I pack a Beagle with a New York Reload.

Also have my car keys (with SF Sidekick attached) and a SW640 toting 148gr wadcutters sitting in a DSG holster. These are right next to my cell phone. I am much more concerned about having to rush to a family emergency in the night than I am about a DB jumping us in bed.

In the corner, I have a BCM lightweight build on standby with LE223T3.
    Last edited by fwrun; 02-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

On a technical note - I like the flashlight @Rich_Jenkins linked to, but that'd keep me up at night on my nightstand. Any solid tactic(ool) lights with GITD that are a little less uhh...glowy?
    Rob - it’s very subtle at night in actual fact. Just enough light glow to tell where it is.

The picture on Amazon is wayyyy overblown.

User Tag List