Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is by your bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If you don't have time then you don't have time. But if you do have time, you might as well put them on and potentially save your hearing. My muffs take a few seconds to put on and power up, so there's a pretty good chance that if I am in the bedroom and someone breaks in I will have time to put the muffs on. If not, then that's the way it goes. You do whatever the situation dictates.
    Just as a disclaimer I'm not trying to be snarky, so please don't misunderstand my tone. I've worked quite a bit of patrol, was a K9 handler, and was a major crimes detective who investigated robberies and homicides (I'm currently a sergeant in administration for a bit...not my first choice).

Throwing on hearing protection isn't realistic in these scenarios. I've never seen or heard it done so trying to plan for it or worrying about it when the event happens is a waste of precious time.

You will likely experience auditory exclusion if you shoot someone in your home so damaged hearing isn't that big of a concern.

Do you have kids or a spouse you may want to hear? Do you have a close neighbor you may need to hear? When the autistic neighbor kid who means you no harm but is out of control knocks down your door and his parents are yelling to talk to you should you be able to hear them? How about the 911 dispatcher or the cops that arrive at your house? All of these things are more important.

When you accidentally shoot someone you shouldn't have in the nano-second you had to make a life and death decision and you are sitting before a jury of you "peers" months or years later do you honestly think that jury is going to care about your concern for your hearing when you explain you couldn't hear someone because you had "ear pro" on your head?

Our SWAT team wears MSA Sordin ear pro which is some of the best out there. Trying to communicate with them without separate coms on their channel is a major pain in the ass when they're all kitted up. Don't believe me? Wear your ear pro in a department store wear there is a bunch of ambient background noise and try to have a conversation with your wife. She'll likely want to kill you in less than five minutes. Range vs real world applications of ear pro are very different.

Being able to hear voices, doors close, glass breaking, and so forth is much more important than the minute damage a few pistol pops may give you under the circumstances. If ear pro actually let you do both don't think that for one second all the workers comp liability concerned police departments in the country wouldn't have their cops wearing ear pro constantly or at least every time they clear a building. The reality is that ear pro, while great on the range, is horrible in the real world when you REALLY NEED to hear the small things and when you really need to communicate with other people.

If it makes you feel good and you want it to be part of your household battle plan then knock yourself out. But please give what I'm saying some serious consideration before you do...
    Last edited by KevH; 02-18-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Just as a disclaimer I'm not trying to be snarky...
    I didn't take your comments as being snarky.

I already have serious hearing loss and tinnitus, so yeah firing a weapon in my house without earpro will definitely be bad news for my ears and it's possible I will be deaf after a shot is fired. Auditory exclusion doesn't prevent damage from happening. In fact surviving a violent encounter in which I fire my weapon without earpro will probably leave me all but deaf for the rest of my life. Even so, hearing protection is not the primary concern during an emergency and I accept that.

If you layer your defenses and have a plan you should have plenty of time to snatch on a pair of muffs if you so choose. For example, I have a long crunchy gravel driveway blocked by gate that is closed and locked at night, a six foot electrified fence and 3 big barking dogs outside and a very alert terrier on the foot of my bed. The doors are all solid and have double deadbolts. None of the windows accessible at ground level can be opened. Sure a determined man with heavy hand tools could break in but it would take time and make a lot of noise.

Folks, good electronic ear pro is also good for enhancing listening ability for information gathering purposes. I don’t believe anyone is advocating scambling for set during a FUT.

That is all.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I do not keep ear pro, body armor, helmets, or ballistic shields by the bed. The house is too small and the distance from front door to bedroom doors too short for anything but a handgun. I'm with @KevH in that I'll be lucky to get a pistol up and running if someone kicks the door in.

My guns are in holsters whether on me or not, so there is one by the bed at night. There is a shotgun by the bed, but it's there to make my feel better that there is a shotgun nearby, not because I expect to use it.

Our dogs hear well enough to wake up for a rabbit walking on wet grass in the yard, but not for people knocking at the door. The only times we've had anyone at the door after dark were either cops (looking for owner of a loose dog), cops (not technically at the door, searching yard for a runner from a car stop), cops (blocking street for unknown reason), and a kid who was having an asthma attack while running.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Has anyone said - THE REMOTE? Most useful thing.

Yeah, I got the boom thingee and the light thingee and the reasonable stuff. So far I have only used the remote.

A glass of water, my CP and a flashlight. What's this thread about again?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Has anyone said - THE REMOTE? Most useful thing.

Yeah, I got the boom thingee and the light thingee and the reasonable stuff. So far I have only used the remote.
    No. No TV etc in the bedroom. Very bad for your sleep hygene.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. No TV etc in the bedroom. Very bad for your sleep hygene.
    fantastic, a point on which we agree.

I can’t add much to the thread, bedside wise. Usual stuff I suppose. iPhone plugged into the smart charger cord. iPad. Keys. Watch. Either my LCR or the Glock 26.5, in its holster (whichever I’ve been carrying).

I also wanted to mention one thing I have that I really really like. I don’t see real well without my glasses, so last fall, I bought this glow in the dark flashlight to try:

NEW 2016 376 Lumens Pelican 3310PL LED Photoluminescent Flashlight by CVPKG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NULXSZK..._n6lBCbMCWTX9G

I love it. I place it bedside while I’m relaxing before bedtime and it charges from my lamp. The glow lasts all night, so it is easy to find it in the dark should the need arise.

User Tag List