Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is by your bed?

G4 Glock 19, 15 rounds of 147 grain hst, tlr1-hl all in a quick access safe mounted to the night stand. I have two spare 15 round mags in the drawer. This gun will most likely be replaced by a 1911 in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    This former colleague of mine was at the time single and lived alone. He had his pistol in hand as he watched the woman beg him for mercy behind his locked door and be murdered right before his eyes. How could such a terrible thing not haunt any decent man?

No one thinks he was “at fault” for what happened. No one, except himself.
    That is a very sad and messed up situation. I don't have an answer. But things have been known to go south when someone involves themself in an violent situation between unknowns. I am not trying to monday morning quarterback, but the guy threatening the woman as well as the woman could have immediately turned on your friend.

I just googled the term "Woman lures home invasion." There are quite a few of them. I got this story immediately:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...y-armed-gunmen

"An Oldsmar man says he will never open his door again for a “pretty girl” frantically asking to use his phone.

It was around 4 a.m. that Matt Kosky said he woke up to banging on his door.

“(She) sounded real desperate so I said ‘yeah give me a second.’ I reached for my phone, and I was bombarded. Two men came in, one of them smacked me on the side of the face, the other one started pointing a gun at my face it had a laser on it it was kind of scary. I felt the gun. They kept saying we’ll cap you.”"

Another possibility is that the woman could have been drunk or on drugs and involved in a domestic excuse. One moment she might have been screaming "save me" the next minute she is screaming "You killed my boyfriend."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

This post has sort of strayed off topic from what is by your bed to answering the door to a total stranger.

Something happened to me a while ago that ties it all together.

I was sitting in the den recliner watching a movie and playing on my iPad. Because it was sunny and in the high sixties, I had the front door open to let some fresh air in. The screen door was closed and hooked but the front door was wide open. One of the dogs barked and I looked outside to see a stranger walking in front of my house with a clipboard in his hand. Because burglars sometimes use clip boards as props it made me a little nervous because there was no commercial vehicle in sight. As he turned and headed up the walkway to my door I grabbed the loaded 1911 that stays on top of the book case right by my chair. I got to the screen door just about the time that the stranger did and held the pistol out of sight just behind the opened front door. As we talked through the screen I realized that he was from the local cable company and trying to sell an interned package. The reason that I did not see a vehicle is that he had parked his van half a block down the street and was walking door to door. It turned out that I was already a customer and that the young man goes to my church. There was nothing wrong. My point is that IF he had been a real criminal and IF he tried to force his way through that screen door, I had a loaded .45 in my hand and could have easily stopped him. This is only because I keep that pistol at the other place besides the bedroom where I spend most of my time.

P30 V1 w/124gr HST

-- Disregard --
    Last edited by Edster; 02-16-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Whatever handgun I've been carting around with me all day left in its holster.

I've been to lots of home invasions and more than a few midnight burglar shenanigan calls. Never once have I seen a homeowner/resident/dope dealer successfully deploy a long gun in the middle of the night let alone body armor. It's always been a handgun and at least a couple times there were long guns around.

What I have seen is a guy that meant to answer a phone instead grab his gun put it to his head and blow his brains out in a half-sleep state. The gun, a Llama 1911 copy, had been sitting on his nightstand next to the phone unholstered. Weirdest thing and it took awhile for detectives to figure out what had happened. It left an impression on me and any gun near me stays holstered when I'm asleep so there is an extra step before it can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    All of what you say is true. Again, the point is not to suggest that it isn’t wise to keep one’s door barred in the middle of the night and just call the police when crazy shows up. Of course it is. That’s why he didn’t open the door - as a prosecutor in Lansing, MI, he knew all about shitbag shenanigans. The point is, even the most prudent course of action may result in spectacularly tragic and disturbing outcomes.

This former colleague of mine was at the time single and lived alone. He had his pistol in hand as he watched the woman beg him for mercy behind his locked door and be murdered right before his eyes. How could such a terrible thing not haunt any decent man?

No one thinks he was “at fault” for what happened. No one, except himself.
    Sad situation indeed and no way to know what could have happened. Had he let her in, the crazed shitbag may not have known where she went and everyone would have lived. Or, he may have kicked in the front door and came in after her. Your friend could have smoked him with his pistol, or he could have put a couple rounds in him which didn't immediately incapacitate the guy, only to be shot and killed along with the woman while the perp was bleeding out. I can't blame the guy for feeling a tremendous amount of guilt and I hope he's been able to come to grips with the whole situation.

• Cell phone
    • EDC VP9 + TLR1-HL with 4 spare mags (Win RA9B)
    • SF 6P with Malkoff drop-in
    • Trauma kit
    • Chem lights

Also, in the corner of the room is my .300 SBR loaded up with Barnes VOR-TX 110gr. I need to take my spare ear pro and keep them handy.

My bedroom is on the second floor of the house, and I live alone, so my HD plan for a middle of the night invasion is to stay barricaded in the corner of the room behind my bed and wait for the police. I keep the bedroom door shut and locked to add a second or two of additional delay for intruders—it's an interior door and not going to do much to slow anyone down, but at least the noise of someone smashing through it will wake me up. I will likely upgrade that to something more robust when I buy this place.

The chem lights, I keep a couple in every room of the house as a cheap light source in the event of a power outage. I also once read somewhere that in the event of a bump in the night where you call the police, in a two story home like mine, it can be a useful practice to tie a house key to a chem light and toss it out the window so LE can let themselves in to clear the house without kicking down the door. Any LE types care to chime in as to whether that's something you would actually do, or am I living in fantasy land?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    • Trauma kit
    Along with active ear pro, this is another good point.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    • Cell phone
    • EDC VP9 + TLR1-HL with 4 spare mags (Win RA9B)
    • SF 6P with Malkoff drop-in
    • Trauma kit
    • Chem lights

Also, in the corner of the room is my .300 SBR loaded up with Barnes VOR-TX 110gr. I need to take my spare ear pro and keep them handy.

My bedroom is on the second floor of the house, and I live alone, so my HD plan for a middle of the night invasion is to stay barricaded in the corner of the room behind my bed and wait for the police. I keep the bedroom door shut and locked to add a second or two of additional delay for intruders—it's an interior door and not going to do much to slow anyone down, but at least the noise of someone smashing through it will wake me up. I will likely upgrade that to something more robust when I buy this place.

The chem lights, I keep a couple in every room of the house as a cheap light source in the event of a power outage. I also once read somewhere that in the event of a bump in the night where you call the police, in a two story home like mine, it can be a useful practice to tie a house key to a chem light and toss it out the window so LE can let themselves in to clear the house without kicking down the door. Any LE types care to chime in as to whether that's something you would actually do, or am I living in fantasy land?
    An inexpensive set of door hooks for your bedroom door are easy to install and remove, with no lasting damage to the house.

Name:  door hook.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  49.2 KB

User Tag List