Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo paint a pistol?

Camo paint a pistol?

A thread in the carbine section on camo painting rifles and carbines got me thinking about pistols. Does anyone paint their pistols? Rattle can camo, do it yourself ugly but practical paint jobs? I've never been able to find a reason to paint my rifle but if I had one I would. But a black rifle really stands out everywhere against everything but a really dark night. So maybe just breaking up the outline is enough reason. Could the same be said about pistols?
    Just curious.

Unlike a rifle, a pistol is holstered when not in use. For the most part, only the grips and frame are visible when holstered and if it is unholstered, there still isn't much. I like my FDE M&P 2.0, but it isn't necessary and I wouldn't paint one. But it's your gun and if you want to, go for it. I wouldn't like the wear and chipping that a handgun would get going in and out of a holster, but the fact is, what is visually appealing changes over time. So while camo might be attractive (to you), I don't think it is necessary.

Hmm, maybe something like this?

Name:  denim_sticker_oval.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  8.6 KB
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 02-13-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Yes, I agree. A handgun is in the hand unless it's in the holster and for most of us it's hidden. I have no reason to do it so I won't. My pistols get the worn look by actually using them. I've noticed the distressed look has become popular.
    Years ago I saw a BHP in my LGS that had what I took to be a factory ACU digi-camo pattern paint job. It was well done but why do it? But the more I looked at it the more I noticed how it didn't look like a pistol. We expect a pistol to be dark or stainless in color. It might have disappeared against the right background.

Site Supporter
    Whether we are talking about a rifle or a pistol, if you feel the need to change the appearance, I would encourage having a proper refinishing job done in the finish and color of your choice.

The least expensive finish I would even consider would be a do-it-yourself Duracoat finish, and then only on a gun that is worth little enough so that mistakes are not too costly.

No. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    A thread in the carbine section on camo painting rifles and carbines got me thinking about pistols. Does anyone paint their pistols? Rattle can camo, do it yourself ugly but practical paint jobs? I've never been able to find a reason to paint my rifle but if I had one I would. But a black rifle really stands out everywhere against everything but a really dark night. So maybe just breaking up the outline is enough reason. Could the same be said about pistols?
    Just curious.
    A rifle is big and takes up a lot of visual space. It can definitely give you away. A pistol, not so much. Get a pistol in FDE or gray if it matters to you, but save the rattle can for long guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I can't point you to a source or sources, but experimentation in the US and elsewhere (South Africa, for one) indicates that the two most noticeable things about a person in the woods -- that is, the two things that give your presence away -- are your hands, and your rifle. Wear gloves, camo your long arm, don't sweat the small stuff.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Does anyone paint their pistols?
    I doubt it. With an openly carried pistol (because concealed carry doesn't really fit in the topic), the biggest exposed part is the grip. The rest is concealed by the holster. Painting grips doesn't really work that well, as far as I know, since handling the pistol would rub the paint off.

I do admit to changing black grip panels to green ones, buying green and brown grip sleeves, and hoping grip tape came in colors other than black, though... (None of those changes were made only to camouflage the grip though, rather the color selections were done to things I was going to buy anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I can't point you to a source or sources, but experimentation in the US and elsewhere (South Africa, for one) indicates that the two most noticeable things about a person in the woods -- that is, the two things that give your presence away -- are your hands, and your rifle. Wear gloves, camo your long arm, don't sweat the small stuff.
    Didn't JSOC or someone determine that anything that doesn't blend can be an issue? That's why they went to ALS holsters wrapped in Multicam and FDE Glocks. I had even heard there were cases of people getting shot in the hip because that's what stood out to the enemy. Now I don't know if that's all the time or just under night vision, but I know plenty of PJ's who as far back as Desert Storm would paint anything black on their gear in a tan or earth color. They told me under NODS the black buckles and other pieces stick out like crazy.

Now, I won't paint a pistol as it does seem like overkill. But I'm also not walking around the Hindu Kush looking for bad people who want to kill me.

User Tag List