Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground fighting / MMA Issue

Correlation is not causation.

The article touches on a much bigger issues, for the most part we do a poor job of assessing risk versus reward in training. The mindset of harderer is betterer, often leads us to making poor training decisions. If training at 50% is good, then 80% must be better and then 110% must be optimal. That's a problem that crosses a lot of athletic activities and hobbies

I don't think any of us should need studies to know that having someone wrench on our necks or choking us out is just a bad idea.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    40 years ago, shoulder; Aikido with something similar to what you alluded to as a "drive to the ground" and an improper fall on my part.

Now I am just old and blinking hurts.
    Yep... I saw a guy dislocate his shoulder after taking a throw and landing there.

I’m not opposed to starting standing all of the time.

But, it’ll be with a partner that I trust. It’s not something I’d do daily either. The ground if you’re tossed or thrown can be one of the most damaging sources.

I’m sorry to hear that man.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Yep... I saw a guy dislocate his shoulder after taking a throw...I’m sorry to hear that man.
    That sounds close; mine did not dislocate but the pain was immediately exquisite. They say that pain is fear leaving the body; if that is true, I disposed of quite a bit during that experience. I landed right on the acromion process. On concrete it would have fractured. Thankfully no permanent disability.

Thanks for the commiseration; it was a good lesson of “don’t do that”.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    for the most part we do a poor job of assessing risk versus reward in training.
    That should go on a wall!

Chokes (blood strangles really) to the point of unconsciousness should be rather infrequent.

I can’t seee the light chokes to submission anything of concern relative to concussive impacts the the head. I avoided striking quite a bit in my training for this exact reason. I make a living with my noodle and thought it wise to protect it.

I’ve taken a bazillion falls from throws, and experienced more than my share of unwanted neck cranks. I’d say the neck cranks/spine locks and falls probably didn’t do my upper and lower spine any favors. Still, spinal issues do show up in my ancestry, so genetics could be a factor as well.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I think that article is referring to pro MMA competition fighting, which is a whole different animal from training. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    True that. If you watch fights you'll see some that should be stopped several seconds of choke/several unprotected hits to the dome earlier. If that's how your gym works, you're going to be drooling on yourself eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I practiced choke holds extensively from 30-43 an I a ust fyn, no prblms has been noted in an xstemsiv sef-analsis.
    You sound good, now get back in there and finish him.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Early on in my BJJ training I got choked unconscious once. To tell ya the truth, it wasn't me being a badass and "rEfUsInG tO tAp" or anything. It just snuck up on me. I knew the choke was deep and I was in trouble but I thought there was a chance I could break the top hand free and maaaaaaaybe get out. I was fine, I was fine, I was fine, pretty sure I'm still fine, wow this is kinda weird, then I was out. I felt a little "off" for the rest of the evening and maybe even the next day. If I hadn't experienced that, I probably would have thought the article was bs. Someone smarter than me will have to figure out how many times you can get choked TFO and be safe.

Choking another person unconscious can sneak up on you too. The one time I choked a guy out it seemed like I didn't have the rear naked locked up more than a few seconds and I felt him go limp. I immediately let go and he popped right back into the real world, he sat the next round out and seemed ok.

My daughter choked a kid completely out once. This was one of those instances where a boy didn't want to lose to a girl so he wouldn't tap. It kinda messed with her head for a bit because he was limp and did not immediately come to. It took some time for her to become comfortable using chokes again.

Tap early and tap often is sage wisdom, whether it's chokes or arm bars or whatever.

The first rule of self defense is don't get hurt.

I can't remember where I first heard it, but it took me until my 40's to truly embrace it...sure wish I'd done so sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    The first rule of self defense is don't get hurt.

I can't remember where I first heard it, but it took me until my 40's to truly embrace it...sure wish I'd done so sooner.
    I read this today in my email:

"at some point later when learners attempt to carry out the techniques in a dynamic or realistic encounter, they are incapable. Characteristically, individuals taught in this fashion fail on the application of the skill and then try to recover. They then try to repeat what they were taught but are again incapable of a successful application. This type of ineffective perseveration can be seen in many videos of officers using force. Officers are not only perseverating on ineffective techniques but also on ineffective beta commands....It would likely be considered unfair to place them in a football game, or something similar, with an unknown opponent who doesn’t have to follow any rules on an irregular or unknown field with no referee."

Here is the article: https://www.forcescience.org/2019/02...rce=newsletter

Nothing personal but I'm sick and tired of hearing about what "isn't good for you/me". I run everything through a few filters.
    1. Is there potential benefit?
    2. If I do it in moderation do I really have to worry?
    3. If I follow every stinking piece of advice to come down the pike will I live forever? Hmm...

User Tag List