Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ground fighting / MMA Issue

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    If I follow every stinking piece of advice to come down the pike will I live forever?
    Nobody gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Nobody gets out alive.
    Roger that and there is no Tapping Out in a real fight!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'd like to get a physician's take on HI-BI before we start making sweeping generalizations about the dangers of chokes.
    The paper cited is a single case study so it's hard to draw meaningful conclusions. Also, it is basically impossible to establish what role, if any, blood chokes played in the evolution of the patient's symptoms, given that he also clearly was exposed to the 'classical' cause of CTE (repeated blows to the head).

That said, of all of the organs in your body, the brain is one most heavily reliant on uninterrupted, high volume blood flow (and the oxygen that comes with it). The cells of your central nervous system begin to suffer irreversible damage after about ~3-5 minutes of anoxia. This is basically why a 'blood choke' works - even a transient interruption of blood flow is deleterious enough to render you unconscious very quickly.

I doubt that anyone has rigorously studied the cumulative effects of repeated blood chokes over time, so I can't meaningfully endorse or refute the author's conclusions. However, the authors do (correctly) point out that people who survive anoxic brain injury and recover with full function will often have persistent deficits in cognitive ability, memory formation, and executive function, among others. It isn't a huge leap to think that repeated blood chokes, in the long run, are not good for your brain.

I think JodyH has the right idea - minimize the risk to your brain as much as possible. Respect the tap (and your partner) and don't be afraid to tap out early, either. Helmets are a very good idea, too.

You only get one brain, and once it is injured, it never, ever heals. Don't fuck with it. An abundance of caution is absolutely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It just makes sense that messing with the brain like that is bad for you.
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 02-21-2019 at 05:26 PM.

User Tag List