Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Password Management 2019

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I read a while back that NCC-1701 is the most common password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Password - works well across multiple devices.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I use MSecure, one of the few apps I've actually paid for. Cell phone and laptop. I like that I can access it with my fingerprint on my Galaxy S8.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I've used 1Password and LastPass. I prefer LastPass. No real problem with 1P, both of them are GTG.

Biometric login if available on the device. 2FA (I find Google Authenticator convenient, but several others will work, IIRC) also integrated.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I started to use LastPass, and then started to run into frustration with it. I seem to recall I was having to open whatever I was logging into, then opening the lastpass app, then copy/pasting the password...

Am I remembering this correctly?

I have a new iPhone XS and iPad Pro both having Face ID so I’m willing to try something like this again.

Also, how do you share passwords, say with your wife, when using lastpass?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I started to use LastPass, and then started to run into frustration with it. I seem to recall I was having to open whatever I was logging into, then opening the lastpass app, then copy/pasting the password...

Am I remembering this correctly?

I have a new iPhone XS and iPad Pro both having Face ID so I’m willing to try something like this again.

Also, how do you share passwords, say with your wife, when using lastpass?
    Lastpass has gotten better about that (on mobile phone) over the last few months. For most sites it recognizes the request for login and requests authentication (fingerprint) without additional input from me. Then it pastes both login and pwd after authentication. Used to be that you had to copy/paste one or both of those.

Lastpass has a "Sharing Center" function where you can carve out a subset of your folders/logins to be shared with other users. You can also share documents here as well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Tried several options and went with 1password 5+ years ago and haven't felt the need to kick the tires on anything else. It gets the job done very well without any drama.

From XKCD.com:

Name:  2D06C9AC-52A0-4DBD-A2AA-F70D582751F5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  94.0 KB

What this taught me is that long passwords made up of plain words are stronger and easier to remember than the password rules crap the IT departments like to advocate.

Diceware is a program that will help generate random words for you to use. Five words that are five or more characters long is as good as needed these days. I’m sure in 20 years that will change.

The challenge is whether your application will accept word passwords without the special character crap.
    Last edited by Trigger; 02-14-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    From XKCD.com:

Name:  2D06C9AC-52A0-4DBD-A2AA-F70D582751F5.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  94.0 KB

What this taught me is that long passwords made up of plain words are stronger and easier to remember than the password rules crap the IT departments like to advocate.

Diceware is a program that will help generate random words for you to use. Five words that are five or more characters long is as good as needed these days. I’m sure in 20 years that will change.

The challenge is whether your application will accept word passwords without the special character crap.
    Combine the effect. Use Diceware (easy to remember) on password managers and complicated UPPer/lower/!@#$/1234 for the actual login password. Since I use a password manager I never have to remember the junk anymore.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 02-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Just change all your passwords to password, or if they require numbers pa55word or if they require other Pa55word. Nobody else uses that.
    That's just babytown frolics.

User Tag List