Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Im looking for a pocket piece and shared this on another forum. I think its relevant

I know the 380 vs 38 topic has been beaten to death. Reliability and heavier +p bullets are often brought up and favor the 642. However when I carry my 642 I carry with wadcutters. I don't enjoy +p and find my follow up shots suffer and I shoot the wad cutters better. I carry a speed strip but realize reloading under pressure during a fight is probably a dream. That said 380's have advanced as much as anything in the past few years. Many of the newer 380's are reliable. I have read how soft shooting the Glock 42 and how easy it is to shoot accurately. I am looking for a pocket companion and am wondering if I should give the 42 a try. I also think if I were to have to reload the 42 would be faster and an option. I have a 43 but while I have pocket carried it I think its a little big. I also think the follow up shots with the 42 will be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The overlays with the revolver shows clearly their advantage in drawing from a pocket.
    My biggest gripe with jFrames and LCR was the width. They're just bulky a certain way that a flat little semi-auto isn't.

It is preference and etc, but...

Site Supporter
    I’ve had my 642 for 15 years. More than 10 years of that, it was my only carry gun and was pocket carried in a horsehide holster on the daily, in a Smartcarry for lower profile and gym/running clothes. Rarely on the belt, but have a holster for that, too.

It was riding in my jacket pocket this morning running errands - we got a snow day (! Arizona!) so I wasn’t at work with my carry gun locked up in the parking lot. Aholster backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Im looking for a pocket piece and shared this on another forum. I think its relevant

I know the 380 vs 38 topic has been beaten to death. Reliability and heavier +p bullets are often brought up and favor the 642. However when I carry my 642 I carry with wadcutters. I don't enjoy +p and find my follow up shots suffer and I shoot the wad cutters better. I carry a speed strip but realize reloading under pressure during a fight is probably a dream. That said 380's have advanced as much as anything in the past few years. Many of the newer 380's are reliable. I have read how soft shooting the Glock 42 and how easy it is to shoot accurately. I am looking for a pocket companion and am wondering if I should give the 42 a try. I also think if I were to have to reload the 42 would be faster and an option. I have a 43 but while I have pocket carried it I think its a little big. I also think the follow up shots with the 42 will be faster.
    Look at the overlays posted earlier. The Glock's beavertail is a pocket grabber. I tried it with a Kytac kydex and a Desantis and I wasn't happy with the "grab and draw" capability. I tried a Ruger LCP followed by n LCP2 and found the draw to be easy and instinctive.
    Both are easier on my hands than my 442 with wads.
    But the Glock 42 is a super sweetheart to shoot. It's a centerfire .22.

Site Supporter
    I pocket carry my Beretta Pico. Very thin and light.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I tried a Ruger...LCP 2 and found the draw to be easy and instinctive...the Glock 42 is a super sweetheart to shoot.
    How would you compare/contrast the shooting characteristics of the LCP2 vs the G42?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    How would you compare/contrast the shooting characteristics of the LCP2 vs the G42?
    The G42 is FAR smoother and more pleasant to shoot. That said, the LCP2 is controllable, and the trigger makes it easier to hit with than the typical DAO trigger of pocket pistols.

The trigger of the LCP2 is what really makes the gun for me. I put a Hogue grip on it and painted the front sight orange.

I am pocket carrying the LCP2 in my Wrangler Jeans front pocket, which I couldn't do with my G42. I carry a spare mag in an Ammo Armor carrier.

Site Supporter
    Jeans are definitely going to limit pocket carry to the smallest .380 pistols, or perhaps .32.

Also, I typically wear a law school ring. That ring often needs to come off if I am pocket carrying on my dominant side in jeans, in order to avoid the ring hanging up on something during a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    One of the reasons I haven’t been able to get rid of j frames is their versatility. I work in a strict NPE and a j frame travels with me everyday I go to the office. They work really well for pocket carry. They draw really easily form an Uncle Mike’s style pocket holster. When I get in my car I can move it from my pocket to appendix by keeping it in the same holster or moving it to a Darkstar Gear holster. In cold weather I put it in the right front pocket of my jacket in a pocket holster. I also have multiple pocket holsters that fit different pocket shapes.

I carry a quick strip but I’ve pretty much given up on trying to reload quickly. I still practice reloading at the range but I know that it’ll never happen during a fight.

I’ll admit that I feel under gunned with a j frame only. It’s mostly a one bad guy gun. If the family is with me I’ll have a compact or full-size pistol with me too. But by myself I’m pretty confident with it. I pay attention to what’s going on and I have decent unarmed skills. I’m looking forward to Cecil’s CP sheath because I think that’ll let me carry another tool. I would like to add pepper spray as an option too.

I’ve considered moving to something like a PM9 but I’m so comfortable with the system I have that I’m hesitant to switch. I’m sure the Kahr is easier to shoot and carries a better round but I don’t know if it’ll work as effectively carrying it in all the ways I carry the j frame. What I would really like to do instead is pony up the funds for a 340 for carry and a 640 Pro for practice. 442’s are okay but I know I would practice more with the heavier 640. To many other things seem to jump ahead of those priorities though.
    Good points — My strategy just changes when I have an LCP or 642 on me. I know the limitations and prepare to go hands on if necessary. If multiple people are involved, then hopefully a few shots would be able to open up a window to escape. I carry a pocket knife, but it’s more for utility. My extensive training in H2H combat would prefer to introduce less weapons into the mix. I don’t like extra stuff hanging off of my belt, that could potentially be used against me while entangled.

I do not carry a reload on my body, but they are nearby in various rooms, vehicles, etc. Again, I plan for a self-defense scenario to protect my family and get them out of the situation.

I also believe that most situations will require some type of feign compliance or you will ambush them. My overall strategy does not involve drawing on a drawn gun. With that said, I think police have a different set of requirements.

User Tag List