Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

For me an LCP is the max size for pocket carry. I have a P938 but it’s just too much in the pocket

I pocket carry all of the time. I have also had my dress pants modified by a tailor to deepen the pocket. Some pants pockets are too shallow to hold very much. A deeper pocket allows for pocket carry with a pocket holster and gives you better access .

Here is a picture of my two pocket guns in Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. Believe it or not, I ahve found that the uncle mike's pocket holsters work best.

Below is a picture of my Kahr PM-9 and S&W 640:

Name:  pocket guns.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  12.5 KB

The PM-9 is shorter and flatter and concealable within suit pants. Most pants come with shallow pockets, necessitating taking them to the tailor to have the pocket deepened.

The other gun is the S&W 640. This prints a bit too much for dress slacks or suit pants at work, but is fine in casual pants like dockers or 5-11s. Depending on the pants, you may need to have a tailor deepen the pocket. The 5.11 Tactical Men’s Original Military Law Enforcement EMS Pants, Style 74251 come with pockets deep enough for pocket carry.

While the S&W 640 doesn't hold as many rounds as the Kahr PM-9, the shape of its grip makes it easier to grasp out of the pocket. It is not a problem carrying concealed when out and about, but could be a bit bulky for wearing at work where you see the same people every day and may brush against them in close quarters like a copy machine room.

The great thing about pocket guns is once you get used to them they are very comfortable. Also, if need be you can have your hand on the gun and ready to draw, while to casual observers it appears that you simply have your hand in your pocket.

Site Supporter

Pocket Carry

On the issue of unintentionally brushing against or bumping into someone, I have found this easy to avoid with front pocket carry. It has happened to me at least twice with IWB carry at 3:30, but I do not believe that anyone realized exactly what they bumped against.

I also once had a supervisor in one workplace place his hand on my back, only a couple of inches from the end of the grip of my belt holstered gun. There were no policies in that workplace, but that still could have had a bad outcome. I doubt anyone will place their hand on my front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-16-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I pocket carry a Micro 9 in an Azula 938 IWB holster.
    I just put the pistol in the holster and shove the whole mess in my pocket.
    The unused waistband clip prints a bit, but also makes the assembly look less like a pistol.
    Very comfortable and tends to stay where I put it.

BTW, when used in its intended IWB role, the holster soon becomes uncomfortable.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I doubt anyone will place their hand on my front pocket.
    I earnestly hope nobody where I work ever puts their hand on my front pocket... for any number of reasons!

I am a bad one for cutting doorways, tabletops and such things too close when I am making my rounds, so a handgun between 3:00 to 9:00 is generally a non-starter for me. I used to think pocket carry was something the old guys of my youth did (an awful lot of them looked and dressed like William Frawley as "Fred Mertz"), but I gave it a fair try due to some circumstances that were temporary. Now I prefer it, but it only works with the right pants, a good pocket holster and a pistol that will not snag on the draw. I can pocket carry a PX4 SC, which is deemed impossible by many, but nonetheless I manage it.

Other times I need a smaller pistol.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Biggest pocket carry advantage:
    Hands down the fastest non telegraphed draw to hit there is if you start with your hand inside the pocket.
    I can routinely get a 1 second (reacting to a buzzer) A zone hit at 5 yards from a completely relaxed posture with only half of that a telegraphed threat.
    A proactive draw to hit is closer to .75 seconds with .25 of that not threatening.
    +1

But other than that and for deep NPE necessity that is about it.

Seated, poor.
    Running, poor.
    Rolling, poor.
    Caught with hands hanging up the gas pump.
    Probably missed some.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1

Seated, poor.
    Running, poor.
    Rolling, poor.
    Probably missed some.
    I can't think of a single sketchy interaction going back to when I started carrying full time around 1995 that pocket carry would have been an issue.
    In every single one I can remember I was standing, hands unencumbered and my pockets were easily accessible.
    I've been 90% of my way to a draw twice in that time and both times (convenience store robberies, one prank/fake and one cold feet aborted) I was going to be the one doing the ambushing of the bad guy.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-17-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I can't think of a single sketchy interaction going back to when I started carrying full time around 1995 that pocket carry would have been an issue.
    In every single one I can remember I was standing, hands unencumbered and my pockets were easily accessible.
    I've been 90% of my way to a draw twice in that time and both times (convenience store robberies, one prank/fake and one cold feet aborted) I was going to be the one doing the ambushing of the bad guy.
    I only have 3 when it would have sucked biggly. Once it would been handy but I bladed and had the grip sunk on the BHP at 3:30.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-17-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1

Seated, poor.
    Running, poor.
    Rolling, poor.
    Probably missed some.

There have been times when I (we) did not even consider a holstered sidearm as opportune except operating as a BUG. Rolling in a robbery squad (plain-clothes) the driver would often have a full sized handgun attached to the seat in between his legs, and the guy riding shotgun would have a gauge muzzle down between his. Again, it was a mission driving the gear kind of thing.

Site Supporter
    Since I am self-employed, my workplace is not an NPE. However, there are good reasons for me to dress business casual. In summer business casual attire, nothing else works as well.

Pick any situation you want - seated, rolling, running, etc. With the exception of an ankle holster while seated, anything else is less accessible than pocket carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List