Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Biggest pocket carry advantage:
    Hands down the fastest non telegraphed draw to hit there is if you start with your hand inside the pocket.
    This is often a significant real world advantage against robbers. *Very few* robbers go inside the victim's pockets themselves, they maintain a small amount of stand off and order the victim to give up their valuables. Even those that do go inside the pockets usually do so after the victim has failed to produce anything of value. Almost none start off going into the victim's pockets. So in that situation you are being ordered to reach into your pocket and it's no surprise when you do.

I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry as an only gun, as there are many scenarios were it's at a disadvantage. However I think it's an excellent second gun location to compliment the weaknesses of other carry positions, such as paired with appendix carry. I get sometimes it's the best option, I just wouldn't personally make it my default option.

Also keep in mind body shape and clothing selection still matter. Thinner thighs and looser pants with deeper pockets help.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of pocket carry as an only gun, as there are many scenarios were it's at a disadvantage. However I think it's an excellent second gun location to compliment the weaknesses of other carry positions, such as paired with appendix carry. I get sometimes it's the best option, I just wouldn't personally make it my default option.

Also keep in mind body shape and clothing selection still matter. Thinner thighs and looser pants with deeper pockets help.
    I can make it my default most weekdays because 90% of my day is either driving my pickup or at my computer desk, both of which have a "real gun" (usually a rifle and another handgun) within arms reach.
    The other 10% is spent standing at a gas pump with my hand in my pocket, or inside the convenience store buying a Diet Coke (middle of the day, all "working people").

And all the kids made fun of my chicken legs and baggy parachute pants in grade school... who's laughing now! hahahahaha!
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm still following this thread, reading and learning. Not posting because I still don't know enough to have anything to add.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This is often a significant real world advantage...you are being ordered to reach into your pocket and it's no surprise when you do.
    Correct!

It can also be disadvantageous when an LEO orders an action and then expects the ordered action, but not what accompanies it, as in the above scenario. I mentioned somewhere else the "take your hands out of your pockets" command that seems quite common. Not always a smart move.

"Go ahead, turn that crank" Jack said with a quiet smile.

I pocket carry my backup gun. It's on my weak hand side so it's more unexpected and it's purpose is to get me clear enough to draw my real gun. Most people will not expect you to come out with a gun so you get a few shots while moving to cover to draw my primary firearm.

I haven't found 9mm's to work well in a pocket. Are they do-able? Yes but no matter the size of the pistol the difference in weight with the slides and barrel as well as weight of the ammo make it want to bounce around more while walking. I prefer kydex as it keeps the thinnest profile. Mine have a curved hook that wraps around the curvature of your thigh as well as a small lip by rear sight to draw pistol by simply establishing my grip and pushing down with my thumb.

I always look for pockets with a wide more flat pocket bottom. I think the material of the pocket liner is pretty essential to a good draw or not as well. I'm usually wearing rip-stop material pants such as BDU only low key looking. Or tons of camo because I'm a redneck and if I want to be the "grey man" around here then I guess I better wear mismatch camo patterns.

@HeadHunter

HeadHunter probably knows more about pocket carry than anyone else alive.
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 02-16-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I haven't found 9mm's to work well in a pocket. Are they do-able? Yes but no matter the size of the pistol the difference in weight with the slides and barrel as well as weight of the ammo make it want to bounce around more while walking.
    The only exception in my experience is the Kahr PM9, it's a fraction smaller than the Glock 42 and loaded weight is within 2-3 ounces if I remember correctly.

I've found the Duluth "Flex" material cargo pants to be the best pocket carry pants for me.
    Fairly deep pockets with nice openings and the thigh cargo pocket flap is positioned perfectly to break up the outline of whatever is in your pocket.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by AZgunguy View Post
    I pocket carry my backup gun. It's on my weak hand side so it's more unexpected and it's purpose is to get me clear enough to draw my real gun. Most people will not expect you to come out with a gun so you get a few shots while moving to cover to draw my primary firearm.
    When I carry two pistols it's one in my right front pocket and another AIWB. (Currently a PM9 in the pocket and a Glock 26 AIWB).
    Either one could be my "primary" depending on the situation.
    Up close and I am trying to look casual (dealing with a panhandler at the gas pumps), i'll probably be gripping the PM9 and it'll be my primary until it runs out and then the G26 will be my reload.
    A little distance and maybe not receiving a whole lot of scrutiny (at the beer cooler while the clerk is getting robbed) the G26 will be my primary and the PM9 my reload.

I personally think drawing and shooting strong handed outweighs any deception gained by carrying weak side.
    Also, after doing a few years of boxing i'm comfortable "fighting" and "defending" with my weak (jab) hand. We often dedicate an entire night at the gym to strictly boxing with the jab hand only (which is really useful for gun toters).
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    dealing with a panhandler at the gas pumps...at the beer cooler while the clerk is getting robbed

It is interesting to view everyday life on "other planets". We live in a locale with a 0 per 100,000 rate for robbery, murder and rape. That does not mean it cannot happen, just that in any given year the frequency is so low that you would almost have to try to be a victim. I think that, without sacrificing SA and a well-grounded mindset, cognizance of one's environment is also a factor in methodology. As Pat R. was wont to say: "The mission drives the equipment".

User Tag List