Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Pocket Carry

What are the pros of carrying a pistol in pocket? When I read about pistols like the 649 or Glock 43, people talk about whether or not they're suitable for pocket carry.

I have a Sig P-365, another pistol that generates discussion about pocket carry. Personally, I am uncomfortable with pocket carry. It seems the pistol tends to move around until it's jammed in a position that makes getting it into action difficult. I've heard of people having a leather liner sewn into the pants pocket to protect the pocket material from wear and stiffen the pocket for a cleaner draw. Some have their pistols dehorned to prevent snagging during the draw. I've seen pocket holsters. Those who have experience with pocket carry, what little tricks do you use? What do find are the pros and cons? What pistol do you use to pocket carry and why? What are the reasons you carry a pistol in a pocket instead of in a holster on your belt? Any other points that should be discussed?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    I pocket carry 5-6 days per week for about 6-7 months every year. In addition, for about 10 years, I carried a gun daily in s NPE.

In summer business casual attire, there is no other solution that works as well. Smart carry is not fast or easy to draw from. Ankle carry is slow, uncomfortable, and creates significant risk of a pant leg rising up at the wrong time. Tuckable holsters do not conceal well, and are slow.

Once while wearing a suit, the senior partner said, right in front of our client, “You don’t need your jackets in here.” Carrying on my belt that day would have created a very awkward moment.

Pocket carry, done properly, is fast, secure, comfortable, and highly concealable. People are not surprised by bulges in pockets - it simply means the pockets are being used for their intended purpose.

The two keys are selection of pants and a good pocket holster.

If you are already buying your pants with extra room I. The waist for IWB carry, the extra bagginess will also help for pocket carry. I prefer pleated pants. The relaxed fit dress slacks sold by Eddie Bauer work very well for me.

The pocket holster must balance breaking up the outline of the gun with minimizing the total bulk in the pocket. It should also have one or more hooks to catch the lip of the pocket on the way out. The shape of the bottom of the holster should prevent rotation of the gun in the pocket. Preferably, the bottom of the holster should be slightly curved to keep the gun vertical in the pocket. A perfectly straight bottom will push the rear sight forward, significantly increasing printing. Anti-print panels can help but are not absolutely necessary.

When carrying a Glock 26, an Aholster works best. I round off the hook by the rear sight, and wrap Moleskin around it, so that the roll of Mokeskin extends beyond the edge of the hook, to prevent poking a hole in my pocket.

When carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT, I often use a Tuff Products holster that has a pocket for a spare magazine. This not only helps break up the outline of the gun, but minimizes the mess in my other side pocket, which also contains keys, change, my light, and my knife.

In a NPE, I will often fold up about 4 sheets of copy paper into a rectangular anti-print panel, and place this over the holstered Kel-Tec. This makes the minimal printing look more like something other than a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-13-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What are the pros of carrying a pistol in pocket? What are the reasons you carry a pistol in a pocket instead of in a holster on your belt?
    Pocket carry benefits from a brace of pistols. The one in the pocket allows the flaneur to surreptitiously have his hand on the pistol while strolling about. Sometimes pocket carry can benefit from a pocket shield (https://rcsgear.com/pocket-shield/). Having a pocket shield in the offside pocket as well tends to equalize the unavoidable pistol bulge. Someone once told me that if both pockets are gibbous, then the fellow is not thought armed: he is simply a slob.

A gun in the pocket is not easily drawn from a sitting position, so panache requires a second gun. In warm weather (or indoors) a well designed inside waistband holster is useful. (https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...p-concealment/) The waistband holster is often worn with an untucked shirt (hawaiian, guayabera, polo, etc). In cooler weather, an appropriate sweater is useful. For more formal occasions, a vest.

Tactically, a pocketed weapon can be quite difficult to reach when the leg is bent at the hip joint. Fighting/defending often involves immediately bending the legs, without prior notice. That is why I do not normally depend upon a pocketed weapon to be my only weapon.

A pocket holster has to be reasonably sized to match the pocket, so that the whole pistol/holster rig remains in a useful position.

Prominent, protruding tangs and blocky slides can inhibit the draw. Same is true of hammer spurs. That is why concealed-hammer revolvers have owned the pocket pistol category for so long.

I can “store” a G19 in a cargo pocket of my VertX duty-type trousers, but the draw is not dependably smooth.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-13-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Biggest pocket carry advantage:
    Hands down the fastest non telegraphed draw to hit there is if you start with your hand inside the pocket.
    I can routinely get a 1 second (reacting to a buzzer) A zone hit at 5 yards from a completely relaxed posture with only half of that a telegraphed threat.
    A proactive draw to hit is closer to .75 seconds with .25 of that not threatening.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I carry my P365 in a wallet holster in my front pocket. Before the P365, I carried a PM9 (same dimensions, but a little bit lighter). The wallet panel turns the pistol outline into that of a large smartphone or small tablet and also prevents the pistol from rotating in the pocket. It also keeps those crowding me in elevators from feeling anything threatening (I am prepared to answer "it is a medical device" or insulin pump if anyone does ask).

My only clothing decision is when buying: I just make sure the pockets are deep enough (and wide enough at depth). I can pocket carry with everything I own which is great for program compliance. The old "spectacles, testicles, wallet & watch" routine becomes "phone, gun, wallet & keys" - 3 pats in 3 pockets before I head out my door.

The draw is slower, particularly when seated in a car, but if I spot the potential for trouble in advance I can nonchalantly reach into my pocket and be a step ahead of the game. Although I've never had it come out on a draw, I like to push against the holster with my thumb as I draw against its natural retention.

Fast walking and running require a slightly modified pace to time the swinging pendalum in your strongside pocket to your gait. I also generally need a moment when first standing to adjust my pants so everything swings comfortably back into place. Due to the abundance of spoiled lap dogs whose small paws seem to naturally home in on the trigger, I use only stiff leather or kydex rather than soft sticky-type holsters.

Finally, the last major downside is that unless I am standing still, an observant person can tell there is *something* in my pocket - probably something valuable. In the event of a robbery, I'm willing to toss over my keys, wallet and phone, but I loathe the idea of surrendering my piece to a criminal. If a robber demands what is in my pocket, I could point shoot 1 shot through my pants and then draw & chamber the next round (the pocket & holster will almost certainly prevent the slide from moving properly) as I retreat. But this may lower my odds of survival - and of those around me - compared to letting the gun go into the wrong hands. It is a bad situation that can likely be avoided with other forms of carry...

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    flaneur
    gibbous
    guayabera
    I love this forum
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 02-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.

To do pocket carry right you'll end up with a box-o-holsters just like you would trying to find the perfect AIWB.
    You also need the perfect holster for each style of pants/pocket you want to carry in.
    One holster does not fit all.

My most often used combination:
    Duluth "Flex" cargo work pants
    El Paso Saddlery horsehide pocket holster
    Kahr PM9
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Pocket Carry

G43 in pj pocket holster. I agree with JodyH, you will end up with different material holsters for different pants/shorts etc. but that kydex was my favorite by far. The gun stayed put in my pants and was easy to draw. It looked like my IPhone 8 Plus in my pocket.

I rarely pocket carry anymore since going to Jmck holsters. But when I do I prefer the G43 over my j frame. It feels more comfortable to me moves less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 02-13-2019 at 09:31 PM.

I find the pocket style inside and outside is key. The pocket needs a square bottom and it is surprising how many kind of taper at the bottom. The pocket opening is also important. I find standard jeans pockets terrible but the top pocket in most cargo long pants or shorts works well. BTW I do not use the 'cargo' pocket. The gun would be flying around like crazy and be very obvious, maybe not as a gun, but as something weird that could draw attention. Surprisingly most dress slacks also work well. I like a holster that is extra wide and flat at the bottom so it fits into the square pocket bottom to keep the gun upright. Notice below that the SuperFly is a little more square than the Nemisis. The Super fly also has that extra near square piece of material that velcroes to the outside of the holster to really flatten out the print shape. Use it or not.
    https://www.desantisholster.com/carry-styles/pocket/
    I am thinking the next I might try is the Ammo or Cargo Nemisis for a wider square bottom. One other thing, a pocket holster makes a real nice extra mag carrier. Stick the mag in against the high side of the holster and use your staple gun to run a staple through in about the trigger guard area. Now you have another holster in your weak side pocket holding your mag in there upright. As already mentioned pocket carry isn't perfect, but when I absolutely can't be found out, my PF9 in RF and spare mag in LF makes me comfortable.

https://store.bullardleather.com/cat...tegory/5060229

And the actual holster...

I actually like cargo pocket holsters... judging the holster fits. That is a big deal for it to work out well.

I had JEA Custom do a similar pocket holster for my 642-1... with the LaserMax weapon light on it. He is also doing a Galco ankle holster with the same style, as I really like running the light on the revolver.

Problem with me and pocket carry is my hand size. I cannot draw a pistol from a front pocket holster... and only can do my LCP out of the rear pocket. Anything larger, I’m fishing it out with two fingers. Cargo pocket holsters fix that issue. I do have a DeSantis Nemesis holster for it, but predominantly use this one... made by Recluse.

Trigger is locked until you draw, but capacity is awesome with that holster. I run MagGuts in all of my LCP magazines, so flush fit is 7 rounds. That holster lets me toss 15 rounds of .380 in my back pocket. Might not be something I want to carry everywhere, but very easy to toss in a pocket, even if I have a gun elsewhere.

User Tag List