Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: new carry revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Two people jumped in at the last minute and one of them got it for $370.
    That's to bad, unless it was the op. Good deal on a good carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That's to bad, unless it was the op. Good deal on a good carry gun.
    Meh. I have two AR's coming so I have that to look forward to. And I still have the 2.75" Security Six.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 02-19-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry.
    No worries. I could have probably figured out a way to embiggen the image on my monitor, but I thought I'd leave a snarky comment about the free information you provided instead.

Thanks, dude.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thanks to everyone for their advise. I've decided to go with the DAO SP101 with 2.25" barrel. It'll be stocked with 135gr +P SBGDs.

A 3" SP101 would be nice, as would a 640 PRO, but both are too expensive. K-frames and GP-100s are too big. The Cobra/King Cobra is possible, depends on what the street price is and how it feels in my hand, but they as well as the K6 are very new. The SP has been out for a long time. It's 5 rounds and a solid history vs 6 rounds and no history.

Thanks again.

I think you'll be pleased with your choice.

I like the grip inserts from Atamont, and find them more comfortable than the ribbed plastic ones from the factory. Only downside is that the screw can get rusty from sweat.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/sp101/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their advise. I've decided to go with the DAO SP101 with 2.25" barrel. It'll be stocked with 135gr +P SBGDs.

This is the model I own and I've been carrying regularly for the past few months. I have Pachmayr Compac grips on mine and it carries very easy on a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredm1 View Post
    This is the model I own and I've been carrying regularly for the past few months. I have Pachmayr Compac grips on mine and it carries very easy on a belt.
    Those are the stocks I plan on using and that's how I plan on carrying it (IWB).

I actually would prefer the 3" version, as that would make shooting magnums a little more pleasant, but it would add about $225 to the price tag (send to Ruger for a snag free hammer and conversion to DAO, plus shipping and insurance).

The only SPs around here that I can handle (none are the DAO version, and I really would prefer to not buy a revolver sight unseen), are listing for about $625 (less tax and paperwork). That's steep enough.

Probably my favorite carry revolver is my Colt Detective Special. It is one of the later models, I actually prefer them to the earlier editions.

Six shots in a very carryable package, although I shy away from +P loadings. Here it is tucked into a TT Gunleather holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Agree. I have a 3rd Gen DS, carried in a DeSantis pistol pocket

+P for carry, standard pressure for the range. That may not comport with current doctrine , but screw that noise.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Colt in the 80s announced that the DSes could shoot +P ammo as long as it was SAAMI recognized +P less than 20K PSI. When Colt originally spoke to shooting +P in their D frames they were speaking of the 38-44 loads that ammo companies were still producing at the time which is usually loaded to the 24-25K PSI level.

At that time the Feds still carrying revos in 357 but shooting 38s had the ammo companies producing 38+P+ ammo to skirt the operating reg that Agents were not allowed to shoot or carry magnums in their issued revolvers. Admin didn't want their agents on the stand testifying that they had shot someone with a Magnum round.

Colt said to train with the standard 38s and use the SAAMI +P at less than 20K for personal defense. Colt said 2,500 rounds of +P would be ok without any frame stretching or timing issues.

I carried a D frame Colt Cobra on and off duty for years, but it has been retired. I now carry the New Cobra and I love it. I carry the Buffalo Bore 158 grain LSWCHP NON +P round in my new Cobra. It chronos 880 and shoots right to point of aim. This makes me a happy camper.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 03-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.

User Tag List