Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new carry revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    The 3” SP offers weight and extra barrel … I suspect the longer barrel will be a little harder to carry (especially IWB)
    I have a 3" SP that I typically carry in a Summer Special 2 and I would say it carries BETTER with the bit of extra barrel (strongside, 3:00). It seems like the cylinder is behind the belt and it rides nicely.

For what it's worth, those 38 Special 4 inch k-frames are VERY easy to learn to shoot well. I bought an S&W 10 with a 4 inch skinny barrel for my 70 year old mother, who has arthritis and never shot a handgun in her life. I painted the front sight bright yellow, and added some ugly but very comfortable Hogue grips. She comes with me to the range often, and she became quite good with that revolver and 158 grain +p loads at 10 - 12 yards, shooting double action.

I think everyone should own at least one.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    When the Kimber K6 DA/SA starts showing up in stores I am going to give one a good look.

Three dot sights, good trigger, exposed hammer, reasonable weight, and a 6th round all sound really nice. The only thing I don't like is the price.

Have any of you comapred a Glock 26 to a Kinmber K6? In weight, how they carry, etc?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Do I need to worry about these old pre-lock K and J frame guns in .38 special only not being +P rated? A steady diet of +P is too expensive, but I try and train as I carry, and I see a relatively high round count of hot standard pressure or +P .38s through whatever I buy.
    You have zero worry about older K frames unless they were made before about 1956, maybe earlier. One thing, though. The K frame is a big handgun when compared to a J frame or Colt Detective Special. Being thicker, longer, and heavier than these may mean that you might soon cease carrying it. Boxcars of no lock steel J frames like Model 60s exist. They have the heft you seek with none of the bulk. If I had your concern, I would own multiple J frame 442s, shoot one exclusively and carry the others in rotation except for one kept in reserve. In practice, if recoil became uncomfortable, I would continue to do what I have done for years: put on a weighted wrist bracelet used by others to exercise. Recoil is tamed. Once properly trained and armed, retreat if you can do so safely. When I am gone but some of you are still carrying a weapon, that advice will be even more valuable then. I refer to the fact that you definitely don't won't any involvement with the criminal justice system. Anyway, why become involved in a gun fight if it can be avoided.

I think you are handicapping yourself discounting the Kimber K6s. My experience with my sample of one has been excellent. I shoot it a lot. They have been out long enough to have exposed major flaws by now.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799761732
    Attachment 35121
    DAO with a $375 buy now price. There you go.

That leaves 3-4 bills to throw at a good revolver smith for an action hone, front sight, and bead blast while still undercutting the Kimber or Colt offerings that come GTG out of the box. Compelling. Very compelling.

It's true though: while I LOVE a good 4" K-frame, it's getting into alloy framed Gov't model 1911 territory for carry weight and bulk. But, I shoot K-frames well, so I'm not opposed to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Have any of you comapred a Glock 26 to a Kinmber K6? In weight, how they carry, etc?
    Similar weight, loaded up (more or less 26 oz). Kimber K6 with the 3" tube is bigger, but rounder. I figure it's a wash, aside from the capacity issue. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-13-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was looking for a good no-lock J frame when I came upon a really nice, as in 1 box of ammo, used Smith M13-5. The last issue before the 13 was dropped and the locks went in. This is a 4" to go with my 13-3 3", now I'm set and I can look for a nice J frame.

I carried one of my 2.5" Model 19 for the first time ever the other day, and my god...…

...that thing disappeared and was an absolute joy to carry. I can't find a reason why I would carry an SP101 (used to own one) instead of the K-frame, especially considering the performance I can wring out of one instead of an SP101.

Looks can be deceiving. The K-frame is a perfect carry revolver to me. YMMV.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-14-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You almost cost me $425 plus shipping and transfer. I was THIS close...

I have a 2.75" Security Six in the safe. I need to go play around with that some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You almost cost me $425 plus shipping and transfer. I was THIS close...

I have a 2.75" Security Six in the safe. I need to go play around with that some more.
    Looks like you might get it for $335??? No reserve, no bids??

User Tag List