Thread: Meralgia Paresthetica

Hammertime

Meralgia Paresthetica

I think I have given myself Meralgia Paresthetica, luckily without the "algia" component. I am simply numb in my upper right antero-lateral thigh.

I noticed the symptoms and with research found that this condition can be caused by tight belts or "tool belts". It is unclear to me if I caused it driving while carrying AIWB, or running with a stiff belt rather tight and OWB holster. The running thing seems less likely to my as the belt rides above the Anterior Iliac spine and should be above the area where the nerve can be compressed.

Anyway, this is all just FYI(TMI?) for anyone interested. I would also be interested if other folks have had these symptoms.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355635

Site Supporter
    When I run with a pistol, Ive used a Smartcarry for the past ... 18? years. I’ve replaced a worn out one in that time. With a lightweight gun, it has been a good solution. With a heavier/larger gun, much less so.

The other day, I was walking my old dog and she decided she wanted to run for a while. I wasn’t expecting to do more than walk, so I’d thrown on my G26 in a Miami Classic shoulder holster. It was surprisingly comfortable, w/o flopping or awkwardness.

I think anything we strap tightly to ourselves has the potential to cause trouble over time.

Site Supporter
    I'll ask my PT tomorrow
    Pretty sure mine is just a bad disc at L5 causing issues in my left (opposite from carry side) leg and foot. Mostly knee down currently. Not fun.

Good luck with the healing....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yep. I've dealt with this from time to time. Have a good friend for whom this a greater problem.

Definitely exacerbated by a tight belt/IWB carry/growing waistline.

No great answers or miracle cure. I used a 1 3/4 belt to better distribute the weight -- 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 belts make pressure on the waist worse. I keep the belt as loose as practical to still secure the pistol and mags. I no longer carry the phone/flash light/leatherman etc on the belt. The less weight on the belt, the less I have to cinch it tight. Filson brand suspenders to hold up the pants if necessary. The single greatest help -- losing weight. Getting back into an exercise routine and shedding the middle-age spread helped the most.

User Tag List