Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Positioning

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @MistWolf, no BUIS at all on the bottom carbine?
    None. Short version is that to me, it isn't worth the trouble or expense to mount a front sight to either of my shorty uppers.

In the photo, the upper is mated to a pistol lower.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

This is an honest question and observation, not intended to stir the pot - but I'm sure it will.

I do currently have a WML on my carbine, of the Scout 300 style. It doesn't weigh much and doesn't take up much room, but it's still an appendage hanging off the handguard that in all honesty I have yet to use for any practical reason.

The way I see it, unless I'm kicking down doors and clearing rooms for a living, or perhaps reaching for the carbine first in a home defense scenario (I do not), I've come to the conclusion that keeping a WML permanently mounted on my carbine is of little value.

Note: I do subscribe to the ability to quickly mount a capable light to the carbine if needed. I also EDC a hand held light that I'm quite comfortable using with a handgun and have found it's not difficult to use in a pinch with an AR Harries-style under the handguard. I've simply reached the conclusion that for me keeping one mounted at all times is like driving around with an unloaded trailer hitched to my SUV all the time.

So here is the question I pose: beyond LE use on the job, what practical civilian purposes have you actually used your carbine-mounted WML for?

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    None. Short version is that to me, it isn't worth the trouble or expense to mount a front sight to either of my shorty uppers.

In the photo, the upper is mated to a pistol lower.
    Thanks! Now that I'm on a bigger screen I can see that's a brace.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    So here is the question I pose: beyond LE use on the job, what practical civilian purposes have you actually used your carbine-mounted WML for?
    I keep one on my "home defense" rifle for target ID at night. Won't shoot what I can't ID.

I have a X300U-B on my hunting rifle, since I frequently hunt hogs at night. That light was specifically chosen to be easy on and off while only using a Leatherman. I pop it off during the daytime and stow it in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I keep one on my "home defense" rifle for target ID at night. Won't shoot what I can't ID.

I have a X300U-B on my hunting rifle, since I frequently hunt hogs at night. That light was specifically chosen to be easy on and off while only using a Leatherman. I pop it off during the daytime and stow it in my pack.
    Makes sense to me!

I mount my carbine lights in such a way that they are not in the way when I don't need them, but are always there when I do. I much prefer an X300 at 12:00 and the only reason I don't use that setup is with magnified optics because I can see a blur in the lower stadia from the light. In that case I run an M600 scout at 11:00. Still not in the way and activation is the same as the 12:00 X300 (hit the button at 11:00).

Conversely I find an X300 on the side of a gun to be like a tumor.
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

This is an honest question and observation, not intended to stir the pot - but I'm sure it will.

I do currently have a WML on my carbine, of the Scout 300 style. It doesn't weigh much and doesn't take up much room, but it's still an appendage hanging off the handguard that in all honesty I have yet to use for any practical reason.

The way I see it, unless I'm kicking down doors and clearing rooms for a living, or perhaps reaching for the carbine first in a home defense scenario (I do not), I've come to the conclusion that keeping a WML permanently mounted on my carbine is of little value.

Note: I do subscribe to the ability to quickly mount a capable light to the carbine if needed. I also EDC a hand held light that I'm quite comfortable using with a handgun and have found it's not difficult to use in a pinch with an AR Harries-style under the handguard. I've simply reached the conclusion that for me keeping one mounted at all times is like driving around with an unloaded trailer hitched to my SUV all the time.

Target ID. A carbine is my go to HD weapon and I need to be able to verify that there is a threat present.

I've used the light on my carbine to light up coyotes in the backyard trying to get after my chickens on more than one occasion. My porch light doesn't extend that far and it would be hard to tell the neighbors dog from a yote without the light.

Dedicated defensive use makes sense for a WML to remain mounted.

For applications such as pest control, this takes about 15 seconds to mount and produces 1,000 lumens/29,000 lux;

Name:  wml-5.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  22.1 KB

I keep a light on my AR because it is the first thing I reach for in a home defense scenario. But it's not what I would call "permanently mounted". The x300 series lights I own can be removed and installed quickly. In addition to a WML, I believe folks should carry a handheld light whether they grab a rifle, handgun or shotgun to defend hearth and home.

Like others, I use the WML for target identification. But I also find other uses as well. Sometimes I'll stay at a shooting spot until after sundown just so I can shoot with the WML in the dark. (This is where I learned to shoot a couple rounds then step to the side, shoot a couple more and step again because the gunsmoke lit by the light will obscure the target.)

Having the light attached to my AR (or handgun) means I've got a light handy (once detached) for digging around in the bottom of a dark shooting bag for an Apex bit or pen or something.

I openly admit that having a flashlight means I sometimes go out of my way to find uses for it. To loosely paraphrase the old saw about hammers, "If you have a flashlight, everything looks like it needs illumination".

I find having a WML is very useful. I agree with you that having it permanently mounted to a weapon is less useful.

PS- Pun intended. One should never have an Unintended Pun.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-15-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    That’s genius mounting the rail inside the rail. I have been wanting to run an x400 at 12:00 for years

User Tag List