Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light Positioning

I keep surefire Scout lights (300's) on any AR that may be used of self defense. This would include any gun I may take with me on a road trip or on vacation.

The purpose is the same as it is for the gun I use as my Patrol Rifle at work as a LEO, Target Identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    That’s genius mounting the rail inside the rail. I have been wanting to run an x400 at 12:00 for years
    I'm somewhat motivated to see if the new Cloud Defensive rail will work in this application. some modification to the picatinny at the very front of the rail looks necessary, but it should keep the profile down, and the laser module out of the dot window

Attachment 35163

Otherwise, seems that everyone is making an extra tall dot mount now

Site Supporter
    I saw the cloud defense rail and I plan to get one but I thought they only came for 10 inch barrels . I would like a 13 ALG rail with an X400 at 12:00

FYI, the CD O.W.L weighs 11.2 ounces. No doubt a very well made and high-performing light, but it's a lot of weight to be living on the end of the rail.

I've gone back and forth a couple times over the years, but I have decided that pistol lights stay on my pistol, and rifle lights go on the rifle. Attachment methods, beam pattern, and UI, make each best suited for the weapon they were designed for

1,700 Lumens/75,000 Lux

I posted this photo earlier in this thread;

Name:  wml-5.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  22.1 KB

This is the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 which is rated at 1,000 lumens/29,000 lux. Mounted to my rifle using the Vltor mount, it's performance is impressive. The light is quick to mount and dismount, and of course works perfectly off the rifle hand-held. I very much like those abilities.

The light and mount weigh 11.2 ounces combined, which is the same as the Cloud Defensive O.W.L, which is rated at 1400-1500 lumens/45,000 lux (that is impressive performance for a WML if their specs are accurate). Of course, the O.W.L. isn't quite as convenient to mount/dismount and is at a decided ergonomic disadvantage in any attempt to be used as a hand-held light.

Not to be outdone (and as a hardcore Malkoff Junkie), I am going to order a Malkoff Hound Dog Super head, which is rated at 1,600 lumens/75,000 lux. This head will run on the HD 18650 MD2 body using a pair of IMR 18350 1200 mAh cells, which will provide 20 minutes of full output runtime and over 5 hours of runtime with the HD Super on low (80 lumens). The HD Super can provide over a hour of full output runtime when used with the MD4 body and a pair of 18650 cells, which can still be attached to a rifle using the Vltor mount. Greater performance, more battery options, quick attach/detach and the ability to be used as a traditional handheld light make it the preferred choice for me.

Once I get it put together I'll post photos and impressions. Without a doubt, mounted to an AR or not the Hound Dog Super on an MD2 body will be one sick puppy. :-)

Wow.......that’s yuuuugge.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    Wow.......that’s yuuuugge.
    It's deceiving - the CD O.W.L. is 5.255 AOL, HD 18650 is a hair over 6. Compared to a Scout series light, they're both quite large. I scaled these two photos in Photoshop to render a pretty accurate size comparison;

Name:  wml-10.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  75.9 KB

User Tag List