Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snowblowers- What are your favorite ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I just took a look at Hondas. Man, they're expensive. Anything almost as good for a more reasonable price to deal with Wisconsin (including lake effect) snow?
    I’ve got a 20 year old Ariens 8hp that is unstoppable. It’s only a 24” width so I bought a new Ariens 30” 11 Torque Deluxe recently after moving and acquiring a really long driveway. It’s not as solid or as capable as the older one but it works ok in dry northern WI snow. We’ve gotten about 30” in the last week so they both have been busy - his and hers now.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    One of the factors you need to consider is the type of snow you need to move, if living in an area that receives "lake effect snow", you will probably want a 2-stage blower with more horsepower and smaller cutting width.
    Years ago I had a 2-stage machine that was a gift from my in-laws. It was 5 HP, Midwestern USA manufactured buy a no longer in business company. I was a royal pain in the rear end because it bogged down regularly with the heavy wet snow we usually get in CT. I came to the opinion that if it only had more power it would work better. As I set out to look for a better machine I quickly discovered that as the HP increased so did the size of the cut the machine takes. I specifically asked dealers if there was any way to get a big motor on a small auger. The answer was always No. Somewhere along the way I heard about Honda. I went to a Honda power equipment dealer right after a snow storm and they let me try one of their demo machines. I was instantly sold. I knew right away that the Honda was in a class by itself. Yeah they are expensive but ... you get what you pay for!

When I was a kid we had a single stage Toro snowthrower that I made a crap ton of money with clearing neighborhood sidewalks and driveways. It was a 2-stroke machine and light enough that you could pick it up and clean steps and porches easily.

Toro two-stage.

Site Supporter
    Name:  AD465FD0-40E6-4F80-BAE2-92A17942243C.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  57.9 KBI found an old Ariens 10 horsepower , 32” with and electric start and tire chains on Craigslist for 380 bucks. It’s a beast and it works great
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.

If I had to buy a walk behind today, this would be my choice.
    Power Max® HD 826 OXE (38805)
    Power Max® HD 826 OXE (38805)
    Power Max® HD 826 OXE (38805)Power Max HD 826 OXE (38805)best fuel for lawn mowerPower Max® Snow Blower Anti-Clogging System
    4.5 / 5
    Open Ratings Snapshot
    Read all 28 reviews Write a review
    MSRP: 1,399.00 USD

Toro Premium 252cc OHV 4-cycle
    26" clearing width & up to 45' throwing distance
    Ideally used to clear 6+ inches of snow on a 6+ car driveway made of concrete, asphalt, or gravel
    IF IT WAS GOING TO BE USED ON A GRAVEL DRIVEWAY I WOULD GO WITH TRACKS OVER WHEELS

My favourite is the one my girlfriends father gave us when they moved, since that is the one I actually have. It's a bit undersized for our needs, and plowing would be a better solution for a large part of the area that needs to be cleared, but since I own neither a suitable ATV or tractor at present, it's still a hell of a lot more convenient than doing all the work by hand. Especially this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I found an old Ariens 10 horsepower , 32” with and electric start and tire chains on Craigslist for 380 bucks. It’s a beast and it works great
    How much of a difference do those chains make? My yard is kilometres away from the nearest patch of asphalt, and sometimes when I'm clearing my yard or driveway it feels more like I'm doing snow blower off-road. Getting the blower stuck so the wheels just spin freely is a pretty common occurrence.

Site Supporter
    The chains work. On my old snowblower if the tires spun I set it to a lower forward gear to slow down and let the snowblower do its thing. I learned a long time ago to try and keep upward pressure on the handles to scrape the driveway clean of snow. The new / old snowblower is such a beast that with 10 horsepower I can’t imagine it slowing down. It’s great for the long driveway but too big for the walks

User Tag List