Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowblowers- What are your favorite ones?

Site Supporter

Snowblowers- What are your favorite ones?

It does not appear that there is a snowblower ( or snow thrower) thread. My recent frustration at getting parts for my POS Sears Chinese snowblower and my desire not to buy a new ie expensive snowblower led me to research used ones. A quick chat with my local small engine repair guy directed me to an old Honda or Ariens. I found out that the old John Deere snowblowers were made by Ariens. The Ariens engines were made by tecumseh and while tecumseh was bought out parts are still available.
    I searched Craig’s list and found very few Honda’s for sale. Not surprised they flat out work. My father has been using the same Honda snowblower for over 35 years. This past December my wife and I went to Germany and went up the cog train to the top of the Zugspitze. They were using Honda snowblowers there. In GERMANY!
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Fifteen years ago when I lived in Northern Virginia I realized my Toro electric snow blower just wouldn't cut it. Every third year or so we'd get buried and I needed more than an electric for our 250-foot driveway. I bought a Toro single-stage gasoline with an electric starter. Loved it - it was just right, but I don't know about quality today, and don't need much snow-blowing in South Texas, anyway.

How bad will your snow problem be? Do you need a single-stage or a two-stage? Will an electric work for you - much easier maintenance.

Ariens has been solid for me. 30” cut has been adequate for clearing my typical suburban driveway of Western NY snow. Heated grips seem like a bit of a gimmick at first, but they sure feel nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Whatever someone else is using. That is best.

I will continue with watching winter from Arizona.

Honda snowblowers and generators.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My Simplicity with a 7 hp Tecumseh Sno King engine has given me 22 years of great service. Sadly, I think most manufacturers now use a Chinese engine.

Site Supporter
    I got a 24” Husqvarna for something like $1500. It’s underweight for what I need to do. Big storms will have me running it for 2 to 3 hours to get the homestead clear.

Fine machine, electric start is stellar, heated handles are stellar, and after three years of putting it away wet no issues. I did shear some bolts that hold the auger housing to the rest of the machine but 2 replacements and the 30” socket extension (finally used that bad boy) made it right. I am still bummed I didn’t throw down the extra $800 for the 30” with the tracks.

It is down right now waiting for impeller shear pins. I found out the first year about auger shear pins.

Really thinking about some sort of plow but the blower with get used for cleaning up tight spaces and the path to the chicken coop.

The one I gave to a buddy when I moved to FLA.

I can't recall the maker, but it was a big self-propelled job that I found on sale at Sears. Best investment I made while living in that frozen hell.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I got the Ariens classic based on a co workers input. However it hasn't snowed enough here yet to even put gas in it.
    Heres a site I also looked at quite a bit.
    https://movingsnow.com/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Every time I show up to my parents house to get the driveway clear their Honda starts on the first pull and kicks ass. I want one really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List