Thread: Situational Awareness Failure

Site Supporter

Situational Awareness Failure

Whether you go armed or not, you need to read this article and watch the surveillance video.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...se+Training%29

That was sickening. I hope the guys running after that shitbag caught up to him and painted the sidewalk with his face.

He needs putting down.

Site Supporter
    @Tom Givens -- great example, thanks for posting it.

Looked like an Asian female.
    I bet she was specifically targeted (or that building has a high number of Asian/Chinese residents).
    The Chinese have a reputation for carrying a lot of cash and jewelry and keeping a lot of the same in their houses.

Same thing with illegal Mexicans being targeted around my area, known to carry cash and unlikely to call the police.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-13-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Looked like an Asian female.
    I bet she was specifically targeted (or that building has a high number of Asian/Chinese residents).
    The Chinese have a reputation for carrying a lot of cash and jewelry and keeping a lot of the same in their houses.
    Good catch. The victim was Vietnamese, and the incident took place in front of a Vietnamese market, next to a Chinese restaurant. She also insisted that she didn't run away from her daughter, she ran to the street to yell for help. Um, yeah... (as much as I hate to criticize someone in a desperate situation). The assailant was not apprehended at the time, and it's not clear if they ever caught him. The good news is that the victim wasn't seriously injured.

The way the guy was eyeing the store, pacing back and forth in the earlier segments of the surveillance footage, makes me wonder if the store was his original target. When an oblivious lady, with a vulnerable child and from the same demographic, showed up in the meantime he might have just jumped on the opportunity for an easier victim. Depending on who was working the register, sticking up a place staffed with Viet guys, especially younger ones, could have gone very differently for the bad guy. It's a culture where people basically have an "on/off" switch for fighting. They do not like conflict, but when it does happen, all bets are off.

Ironically, in China the situation with cash has changed radically over the past few years (not so much the case in Vietnam). Today cash is almost gone from most urban areas. Smart payments by phone have taken over so much that "only some old people and villagers" (in a Chinese friend's words) carry any cash at all anymore, and most shops are surprised when someone tries to pay by cash, to the extent that many don't even have cash handling facilities anymore. Still, it's going to be a while before we see that filter across into Chinese immigrant communities in other countries.
    Last edited by Aisin Gioro; 02-14-2019 at 11:45 PM.

I am constantly amazed how oblivious most people are to this type of danger. I finally convinced the lady at work to put the bank bag in a brown paper sack when she walks to the bank with the daily deposit. She said that never even thought about it before.

Situational Awareness Failure

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-26-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List