Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Need an M4A1 clone

Went ahead and got an M&P15-22. Got some more mags en route. We'll see how it runs this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Don't tell anyone, but I have as much if not more fun with my kids and the M&P 15-22s than I do with the big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Don't tell anyone, but I have as much if not more fun with my kids and the M&P 15-22s than I do with the big guns.
    debating it as my sons first 22

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    debating it as my sons first 22
    I thought about going the 10/22 route, like I had as a kid, but decided to go the M&P route for my daughters instead. When I was a kid, there really wasn't anything remotely modern that would hang with a 10/22, so it was the easy choice in the early 90's.

Both my girls have 6920's and a pile of unopened pmags waiting for them when they're of age, which thanks to WA is now 21, so starting them out on the M&P which has all the same controls and funtions of a real AR seemed like the best route. With the Primary Arms micro dots, they have a blast.

If you're looking for an optic, Midway has a decent price on blemished models a few hundred off: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...atte-blemished

When I was a kid in the early 90's my dad bought s 10/22 also and got some 25 round mags right before the AWB. In 2004 I went out and got one for myself and it's still going strong. My dad still has the 10/22 from the 90's too.

I have more fun with the .22's too.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

When I was a kid back in the 60s, my mother ordered my father a 10/22 through the mail. For several days, my father sent me up the road to wait at the mailbox for the postman to come. Some years later, when I was a teen, myself, my brothers, my cousins & uncles all had 10/22s. Everyone except my grandfather. For some reason, he never got one. Mine was a 10/22 modern sporter with a gorgeous walnut stock. Uncle (I had a couple of Uncle This and an Uncle That, but only one Uncle) had the early sporter with the finger groove and Monte Carlo stock. Everybody bought the 50 round mags, the kind that had the clear body and notched belt, one notch for each cartridge. As for myself, I loaded up on a buttload of factory 10 round magazines. I didn't want to ruin the lines of my sporter. After a a year or two, the 50 round mags started failing and wouldn't feed anymore. My 10 rounders chugged on until another kid stole most of them. In fact, just this year, I finally retired the two remaining ten round factory mags I had left, after forty years of use.

My father passed away almost ten years ago, but my mom still has dad's 10/22. It's the only firearm he never sold or traded away for something new.

Damn. I miss my dad.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Between my throbbing headache and the whole thing with the 15-22 bolts I decided not to go to the range today. Waiting for S&W to send me a gauge to check the bolt.

Placed an order for three BCM H2 buffers. And PSA has an upper with what is supposed to be an FN SOCOM profile barrel for $330 so I ordered one for my whipping boy carbine. That's the one I use at the range exclusively. Shoot it a bunch, treat it like shit, fix stuff when it breaks and generally not care about it. It's a PSA lower and parts kit and it had a DS arms carbine upper which is now for sale.

My M&P15 5.56 carbine has a barrel that's the same weigh as a SOCOM barrel but it's a different profile. Plan is to beat on that one a little more and get a Colt SOCOM upper for it which will be considerable cheaper than buying another complete SOCOM and slightly less overall than a BCM upper and the parts to finish it. That will be a backup when taking classes and such. Or I may try selling it whole. If I can get $500 that would bring the cost of a complete Colt down to $800 and just the complete upper is $750. Not sure if I could get $500 for it though, maybe with the Magpul furniture on it but I'm not optimistic.

That'll put me at a total of 4 rifles which should be more than enough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    So I work for the government as an armed security guard. Not too long ago we got issued new M4A1 carbines and I would like to get one good quality carbine set up as closely as possible to my work gun. Something that you wouldn't have any qualms about keeping around for a worst case scenario. I know FN makes a turn-key clone, price seems a tad steep to me. I know Colt offered a clone not long ago that looked good but it seems they're out of stock everywhere and possibly discontinued. I believe BCM also had a clone but I can't find it on Brownell's anymore and I don't know the model number so I haven't tried very hard to track one down. I saw Aero Precision has one, $1,000 seems reasonable but I'd really like something on par with Colt or BCM and I don't know enough about Aero Precision. Sounds like they're alright but a step down from what I'd like. Is that about right?

So do I/can I track down a Colt or BCM clone? It wouldn't be a big deal to just buy a carbine and get a used RAS off eBay (I've already got 3 from ebay and Gunbroker) and add the few small things I'd need if I had to go that route but I'd kinda prefer to just buy it outright. Is there another option I'm overlooking? Suggestions for a base gun if I have to add bits to it myself to get there?

And while I'm at it I'd also like to get an AR pistol to go along with it, set up similarly too. I have a PSA kit gun for range fun with an RAS but I'd like to have something better just because.

I appreciate the help.
    Why not just buy a Colt 6920? Except for the barrel length being slightly longer and a civilian legal FCG, it's the same thing as your Colt M4A1.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Why not just buy a Colt 6920? Except for the barrel length being slightly longer and a civilian legal FCG, it's the same thing as your Colt M4A1.
    I don't know if I can phrase this in a way that doesn't come off as snarky so I'll just apologize now and say I'm not trying to be. This was asked already and covered. Basically I want it to be as close as identical to my work gun as I can possibly get and an off-the-rack 6920 or FN-15 or most others aren't going to cut it. I purchased two Colt carbines that have the important bits (mainly the heavier barrel) and I'm looking at uppers for the other two rifles I have.

User Tag List