Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need an M4A1 clone

Went down to the local shop and had them order me the Colt 6920 HBPW. They couldn't find a SOCOM or an FN-15. For $790 I'm going to go ahead and order an FN online in addition to the Colt.

Their resident AR assembler caught the tail end of me talking about the FN and he was telling me how Colt has really gone down hill and FN is way better, which may be true, I don't know. But then I told him what I was going for and he said they had a nice M4 barrel they just got in. He shows it to me and it's an Anderson barrel. I was really afraid of something like that which is why I didn't just have them put one together for me. It also wasn't a heavy profile like what I want. I don't know if he only heard "M4" and not "M4A1" or if he just doesn't know or probably both. I didn't know about the different profiles before starting this thread and I bet he's never seen a legit M4A1 in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Their resident AR assembler caught the tail end of me talking about the FN and he was telling me how Colt has really gone down hill and FN is way better, which may be true, I don't know. But then I told him what I was going for and he said they had a nice M4 barrel they just got in. He shows it to me and it's an Anderson barrel. I was really afraid of something like that which is why I didn't just have them put one together for me. It also wasn't a heavy profile like what I want. I don't know if he only heard "M4" and not "M4A1" or if he just doesn't know or probably both. I didn't know about the different profiles before starting this thread and I bet he's never seen a legit M4A1 in person.
    terrifyingly common.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

The Colt came in today. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it tomorrow.

Right barrel profile

Pinned and welded flash hider

Crappy pic of the gas key staking. It looks good

The mag is made by Colt and it has an H buffer. Just need an RAS, ambi safety, and the right rear sight to be an M4A1 clone.

The FN-15 is coming in Monday so I'll be sure to post pics of that when I get it and compare the two.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The Colt came in today. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it tomorrow.

Right barrel profile

Pinned and welded flash hider

Crappy pic of the gas key staking. It looks good

The mag is made by Colt and it has an H buffer. Just need an RAS, ambi safety, and the right rear sight to be an M4A1 clone.

The FN-15 is coming in Monday so I'll be sure to post pics of that when I get it and compare the two.
    Much like!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Much like!
    Yeah, I'm excited. I'm not an armorer or anything but so far everything looks as it should.

Turns out the FN carbine I ordered is the wrong model. Doesn't have the heavy profile barrel. That was my mistake for not reading the description closely enough. Looks like I can return it but probably only for credit. Read the description closely, kids. It's a really nice gun otherwise.

That sucks! Is it "close enough" to be used the way you'd like?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Turns out the FN carbine I ordered is the wrong model. Doesn't have the heavy profile barrel. That was my mistake for not reading the description closely enough. Looks like I can return it but probably only for credit. Read the description closely, kids. It's a really nice gun otherwise.
    The fix is but a barrel swap away.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The fix is but a barrel swap away.
    I told one of my buddies about it and he offered to buy it for what I paid since it's still effectively new. I'll probably have the gun store order another HBPW for me but I am looking at other brands in the mean time.

I was able to find a Colt LE6920SOCOM for $1300 online. Considering the cost and hassle of tracking down all the right parts to get an HBPW to the same point, I'm happy with that.

https://www.gunhulk.com/products/rif...289019462-2180

User Tag List