Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need an M4A1 clone

I don't know if the FN is a worse choice than the Colt, but FN isn't "allowed" to use the TDP to build M4s for commercial sales.

On a personal level, I've used Colts enough to trust them.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    FN isn't "allowed" to use the TDP to build M4s for commercial sales.
    What does “TDP” mean in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Probably Technical Data Package, IE the design and blueprints of the M4; supposedly only Mil, Colt, and now FN have them.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Probably Technical Data Package, IE the design and blueprints of the M4; supposedly only Mil, Colt, and now FN have them.
    Yes. As I understand it, FN has an agreement with Colt that FN cannot use the TDP to make commercial M4s. FN builds their commercial M4s on a separate line. I don't know what, if anything, FN does differently for their commercial M4s.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-14-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Well, I guess at least one of my rifles will be the Colt. I might get the FN as a training gun to save a little money. $240 isn't massive but it's nothing to sneeze at either.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

My first instinct is to recommend a Colt 6920 (especially for a M4 clone - just add a RAS and you're pretty much there unless you must have the HB profile barrel). However, there've been some rumblings lately that the 6920 isn't quite the yardstick it once was, with some reports that Colt is now out-sourcing parts production...

With that in mind, perhaps BCM or LMT deserve a look.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Yes. As I understand it, FN has an agreement with Colt that FN cannot use the TDP to make commercial M4s. FN builds their commercial M4s on a separate line. I don't know what, if anything, FN does differently for their commercial M4s.
    FNS license to use the TDP is from the DOD and only covers them for DOD production.

Re differences - it depends on the model. Some of their guns like the TAC II are “better” than TDP but not are “true clones.”

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    unless you must have the HB profile barrel
    I actually would really like the weight and balance to be as close as possible. To that end I would like the heavy profile barrel.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I drool over USGI clones a lot, and have tried to price out a few different builds for myself. Although at the moment, I don't really own any clones.

The guys at http://clone-resource.boards.net/ have an incredible amount of knowledge, and the buy/sell/trade will have often hard to find pieces for what I think are reasonable prices. They have a few different facebook groups as well. The facebook groups are way more active than the forum, so if you use facebook that's a great resource for information. They don't really B/S/T on facebook but discussions about sourcing various parts could lead to messages.

There used to be a rifle called the 6920 SOCOM that was a direct copy of my M4 overseas, but with the heavy profile barrel. I think they're discontinued or really limited runs now. I've been keeping my eye out for them casually, but they're not really something I'm looking to buy right now. If I bump into one of them and it looks like what you're after I'll let you know.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I drool over USGI clones a lot, and have tried to price out a few different builds for myself. Although at the moment, I don't really own any clones.

The guys at http://clone-resource.boards.net/ have an incredible amount of knowledge, and the buy/sell/trade will have often hard to find pieces for what I think are reasonable prices. They have a few different facebook groups as well. The facebook groups are way more active than the forum, so if you use facebook that's a great resource for information. They don't really B/S/T on facebook but discussions about sourcing various parts could lead to messages.

There used to be a rifle called the 6920 SOCOM that was a direct copy of my M4 overseas, but with the heavy profile barrel. I think they're discontinued or really limited runs now. I've been keeping my eye out for them casually, but they're not really something I'm looking to buy right now. If I bump into one of them and it looks like what you're after I'll let you know.

-Cory
    I found a couple of the SOCOM's on gun.deals, the price wasn't that much higher than an HBPW and it's already set up. I sent my FFL and email asking if they could get one. I asked about the HBPW last week and their price is close enough to what I saw online to have them order it for me if I decide to go that route. I also asked them about the FN-15. Hopefully I'll be placing an order Monday or Tuesday.

User Tag List